WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie! :flowerforyou:

CJ - I should think it might be some sort of reaction from the brick laying, but if it isn't looking as if it's healing in a couple of days, I would go to the doctor. Blood tests? I am not a medic though. Rest up if you can. You are younger than me, but I realise I can't take on those really big jobs any more. I always end up hurting myself. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK

June has dawned chilly and dull. ;)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am awake , have been since before 2a.m. and Tom ticked me off.. sometimes he can just be so selfish ....
    I told him im going up to help them unpack tonight and I have to ask if I can pick up a couple of grinders to take up for them as they will be tired....he says lets just pay there bills for them too and left for work slamming the door..geesh...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @grandmallie Alison Hi, I am awake too, hope you are asleep by now...at least my dogs have the good sense to snooze at this darkest hour before dawn. Ugh. Sorry Tom was grouchy. >:)

Sleepless in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Just doing all the bitty bits before the cruise. Posting birthday cards, writing instructions to the young girl who will be watering the pots etc. Haven't done any real packing yet. ;):o
    Need to do my Calm app. :ohwell: I will be picking up my BP tablets today, so last chance for pills etc.
    Rang a friend that was long overdue a call. :D

Heather UK
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sue SD, Peach/Carol & Janetr OKC for sharing your experiences with bad knees/knee replacement.

The cortisone shot has worked wonders for me so I've been gardening...added brunnera, pulmomaria & lamium along with New Guinea impatiens for constant color til frost in my shade garden, got most of my containers & shed window boxes done & today because it's going to be cool here I tackle my "sun garden" which needs much tlc. Also cleaned out & restocked the pantry which was neglected after DH's epiglottis cancer diagnosis 2 yrs ago...don't need much food when Boost thru the feeding tube was his diet for months and then a slow intro back to a normal but different diet since his tastes have been altered...not complaining all goes very well.

Becayou and your DH & family have been in my thoughts hoping things go well...love those Navy whites! My youngest son was a Navy Jag, nothing more impressive than the sight of the flotilla entering Norfolk harbor with navy & marines lined up on the ships after a 6 month deployment!

Heatheri was wondering if you were going on a Hurtigruten cruise? I've been getting their brochures recently thinking of voyage to the land of the midnight sun next year.

I did well overall in my goals for May but only lost 3.5#s my goal was 5, but I'm down 2 sizes have lost 31#s & 7.5". Meditation time still needs work & drinking water is an issue 8/10 glasses anyway!

I don't post often but read everything others do & find it very helpful. I now have a Fitbit Alta on my wrist because of you collectively & my commitment to more mindfulness in everything I do is reinforced by all of you as well.

Thank you Barbiefor your commitment to keeping the group going for so long...you are a great leader & every group needs one!

June Goals
    Hatha Yoga...25 min 6/wk
    Stretch ...15 min 1/wk
    Free weights...15 min 6/wk
    Core...5 min 6/wk
    Meditation....5 min 3/wk
    Continue logging all food
    Drink at least 4 glasses of water/day
    Keep increasing steps
    Weight loss goal...1#/wk
    Be mindful of sodium

GLo on the sunny, coolish North Shore of Ma.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Shed
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    The PLAN was to take the water aerobics class. My bet is that Vince will get up and say that his neck is still bothering him and he can't drive. I just know him too well. He babies every ache and pain that there is. I guess if worse comes to wose, I have a walking DVD that I can do. We shall see...

MightyLo - I use grapes frozen as my "ice cream". Actually, I didn't get any ice cream last year. I hear ya about not having it in the house, tho. If I have Healthy Choice Mint Chocolate Chip in the house, it ceases to be a Healthy Choice. I can usually handle it if it's in a small container and preportioned for me, but there is no way I can have just a large container.

antoille - wecome. The secret is consistency. So even if you only exercise 3 days/week, that's a very very good start. You have set great goals for yourself.

Becca - you'r dealing with your sister in such a wonderful way. I'm going to take lessons from you in dealing with Bryan. I've email him twice about the next time to Skype -- no answer. Vince has email him -- no answer. Jess said this weekend that he posted on facebook about how he was moving. It would be nice if he shared that with us.

ljdwc (come on, give us an easier name to call you. You know us....we have trouble with harder names....lol) - very cute shed

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    LJDW99 ~ What can we call you? I love that cute little shed. Please tell me what the name of the blooming white shrub is on the right. I keep seeing them in my neighborhood walks and they look like lace. Would love to have one. You mentioned Rose of Sharon....I have what I call vintage Rose of Sharons growing around my screened in porch. They produce pretty pink and purple flowers.

Carol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    t113030.gifI got up this morning wondering who posted overnight and who would be with me on this journey in June...I can't do this by myself...thank you all for being here with me...right now Jake is very sad about his daughter's death and very nervous about whether he will be able to get the surgery to relieve his back pain...he doesn't want to talk about calories, exercise, digging in the garden or all the stuff we tell each other on this thread

<3 Barbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for continuing the threads.

Goals for June:

1. Balance between working hard in the yard and house and resting. In the summer I start the painting and larger house projects because I have more time.

2. Continue to implement ideas from Dance with Anger. Remembering anger is the messenger. How I react to the message is where I have choice.

3. Be more aware of portions and eating less at dinner and evening.

4. Try to reread my goals at least once a week to stay on track.

:heart: Margaret

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think ljdw99 with the cute shed wants to be called Glo on the North Shore of Ma.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for moving us on into June 2016! :)

Cheri

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm having a terrible time getting back into the swing of things after my week of teaching. I don't know how many times I've started typing something here then thrown up my hands in despair because everything feels so futile.

So I'll post and be damned!

I've been reading mostly on my cell phone, which almost always devours anything I try to write (which obviously didn't help much). Believe me, I've been thinking of those of you whose loved ones have passed away or have health issues. I just haven't been able to handle posting. :(

Last night after dinner my husband and I thought it would be fun to go see if we could spot any rare birds. So we set out along the road east into the valley, which is full of shallow pond where ducks, geese and waders tend to congregate. Sure enough after just a couple minutes we found a pair of king eiders. (Spectacular birds! At least the male is spectacular.)
    3udv9k9e6ei1.jpg

Later we spotted a female grey phalarope in her characteristic maroon breeding plumage. That species is unusual in that the females are more spectacular than the males. She was joined by three red-necked phalaropes, a species we had never seen here before. Last but not least, we saw a pair of pin-tailed ducks.

The air was full of birdcalls. Must be the season! On our way home we stopped at the dog yards to see how the eider ducks were doing. They were doing just fine! There must have been several hundred pairs there, most only just starting to lay eggs. (Here's a picture from a previous year. Believe it or not, but there are about 75 ducks in this photo! The females are very well camouflaged.)
    2ux2k7cd9qki.jpg

Today, 1 June, the harbor is full of cruise ships large and small. The tourist center wanted as many locals as possible to line up on the hillside above the quay and greet the first BIG ship of the year, AIDAluna, with capacity for 2100 passengers. (If you look soon enough you'll see the ship and some passengers here in the 360° webcam pic portlongyear.kystnor.no/ ) I was thinking of going there and waving but unfortunately I was still asleep when it docked at 7.30 am. The passengers have come ashore and gone off for their various activities. Several busses have gone by; I see a cluster of sea kayaks on the fjord and there are people strolling all over town.

Heather - I see your ship listed among the arrivals. Do let me know if it looks as though you'll be docking ahead of the 11.00 a.m. arrival time stated on the Port website. I don't want to miss out on a single second of our possibilities! ;)

Tonight my husband and I will be going out to dinner with the bishop (retired) of northern Norway. He has been here substituting for our minister friend who - sadly - lost his father about 10 days ago and had traveled south to arrange the funeral. The former bishop loves this place and will come here at the jump of a hat. He's a charming man with a terrific sense of humor, so I expect a pleasant evening.

Happy June to everyone! Masses of (((((HUGS))))) to those who need or want them.
    /Penny at the8_2_66v.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy June! I hope this is a good month for all of us. We have a pretty day outside today & I am planning to go to yoga. This will be my second class with the new yoga teacher. I hope to enjoy it. The sea lions haven't kept me awake lately and I'm feeling well rested.

I posted my June Resolutions to remind myself that I need to take care of "the basics" if I want to be healthy and happy. Having fun every day is the best goal I've ever taken on. It gives me a good attitude and a happier outlook on life. It doesn't have to be a "big event" sort of happiness. Small pleasurable things add up to a happy outlook in my experience.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Shed

I like that its a potting 'she' :smiley: