WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Isn't Ptarmigan also known as Lagopus? Are you a Ptarmigan?
    Karen in Virginia
    Karen in VA - Got it in one! I took the screen name from the subspecies Svalbard rock ptarmigan (Lagopus muta hyperborea) found only in Svalbard. It was originally a bit of a pun. A good-looking (young) woman is sometimes called a "rype" in Norwegian, and although I no longer aspire to youth, I wouldn't mind being good-looking. ;)

I was once faced with the task of translating that pun to English. The closest I got was "chick".

/Penny

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    Thanks again Penny!

Here I am in my yoga teacher's dress. It was a good night. :D:laugh:

jx9jgjqfe53i.jpg

Heather UK
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather No words. B)

Penny ywy7e9p71e1r.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Ha ha Heather,one to many cocktails,or to much dancing?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Heather-I wouldn't have made it very long in heels at all. Looks like you had a blast!

The Cavs have won the championship. For this non-sports gal it certainly was interesting staying up and watching the Cleveland Cavs win. Well deserved.

Texas A&M came up a bit in salary as hubs requested AND they will fly us in for housing expedition! Hubs is beyond excited that finally a public university of the caliber of Texas A&M recognize his career services talents and truly want him to join their team! Baring a rattle snake biting us upon stepping on Texas soil it looks like it's a go!

Our poor puppy (13 yo) has been in and out of the boarding vet for 4 weeks. We will pick her up this morning and have her home to love upon for a couple of days before we leave for Texas. She doesn't know that she has a very long car ride in her future!

Today we will tackle the garage and basement. A call will go into the realtor and we will have her over tomorrow to start paperwork. Coincidentally the house right next door is for sale too. As it was 3 years ago when we chose this one! We have a bump out morning room and larger kitchen otherwise they are the same inside.

Love all the pictures being posted.

Have a good Monday!

Cheri
    Celebrating in NE oHIo
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Picked up some pumpkin bedding plants for my dad since they were sold out where he lives. Bought a white and a purple one...I've never heard of white and purple pumpkins. What was that song.. "flying purple pumkin eater..." :)

Tried some tai chi last night for the first time in two weeks. Wasn't able to do much but watching the instructor and the rest of them doing the set allowed me some meditative time which was restful. I've noticed a large spike in my stress levels since I've been laid-up.

Thanks for sharing all the pics ladies

Carey N Alberta
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Heather - DH was very naughty taking that picture of you unless he had your permission >:)

Cheri - I'm thrilled that your husband's long search appears to be nearing its end.

Karen in VA - Thanks a billion! I immediately downloaded that and made myself an inspirational poster to put on some suitable flat and conspicuous space.
    2w01ibvu6pjs.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    :p
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    cheri BIG CONGRATULATIONS, what a wonderful accomplishment, good luck with all the searching and packing! NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Delighted for you and your husband, Cheri. :flowerforyou:

Allie- I don't think I did any dancing in those shoes! You could be right about the other thing. >:)

Penny - Wicked, eh? >:) Hooray for Lagopus!

I'm powering ahead with my Spanish so will have to look for a more advanced app soon. I once could speak Spanish quite well and can still read it, but I was very, very rusty.
    Joyce - Our next trip is to Andalusia in southern Spain. A week in October, between our birthdays. I have booked it all and we will be having two nights in Malaga, two in Cordoba, two in Granada and the last one in Malaga. I have never been to any of those places, but DH has, but not Cordoba. The best thing is we can fly from Southampton. :D I know you like to Google these places so you can see the delights we have in store. Our Mexico trip is next January.

Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Cheri - When you said Texas was large ... I think you underestimated the size ... it is "UUUUUUUggggggeeeeee!" From where we lived to get to where Will lived at the time; when we got to the far side of Louisiana ... we were only 1/2-way there. Glad your husband got the job of his dreams. When you love your job or what you do in your job, you never 'work' a day in your life.

I did not go to bed until 2:00am and DH woke me up early to have 'fresh coffee' with him; I need to go back to bed and go back to sleep. Maybe Cracker will stay asleep, too.

Lenora
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a question for the group...

My daughter has suggested that I put some time between a weight loss calorie schedule and a maintanence calorie schedule as a 'reward' for achieving a weight loss goal. She suggested that after every 20 lb loss I try 2 weeks on a calorie maintanence diet then after 2 weeks go back to my weight loss diet. This way I don't feel like I am on an endless diet. My goal will take me a long time to achieve and its appealing to build in mini 'goals' with a reward for each that keep me on target for the ultimate goal.

What do you think?

Charleen in Colorado (Hot, so darn hot...)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Heather love the picture.

I am so sorry about Jo Cox. I was going to say something before but you were on your cruise. Again too much of this kind of tragedy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I love the Thomas Merton quotation, "Finally I am coming to the conclusion that my highest ambition is to be what I already am..." Thank you. :star:

Joyce: I hope you have a great time with old friends. :smiley:

Heather: Congratulations on maintaining your weight during your cruise! EXCELLENT! The horseback riding lessons are a very special treat, just for me. I don't have what it takes to be a horse owner. We live in a townhouse in the center of town with no suitable facilities for a horse, and love our home. I don't have the time to properly care for and exercise a horse, either. Through my lessons I am having an adventure that pleases me and allows me to regularly indulge in an activity that was denied to me when I was a young girl. I am gaining skill and that is feeding my spirit. :bigsmile:

Penny: I love the pictures taken from your holiday home. Your family in New Hampshire will be so lucky to have you visit! :flowerforyou:

Thanks to a link posted by a friend here on MFP I looked at the ingredients on a couple of supplements I've been taking for a long time. Not so great stuff is mixed in with the minerals I want as a filler. Now I have to decide how to deal with the situation. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Margaret - So, so sad. She seemed to be a very special person. :'(

Charlene - I believe the secret to this lifestyle change is not to think of it as a "diet" at all. I am eating exactly the same as I was when I was losing weight, but I don't lose any more because I am smaller. The secret for me was to up my exercise so I could eat more. I never feel deprived and love my food. On the cruise I made sure to exercise and chose carefully. I ate delicious food every day. Sometimes, the more delicious the food is, the less you need of it. :DB)

Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Penny- great pictures! Love the raised garden.

Heather - you look great in the dress and the exhaustion is evidence of a great time!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    |
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    The more delicious the food is, the less you need of it new fridge magnet quote for July, thanks heather NYKAREN
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    katla49 Love your optimism!!!! :) Absolutely love the proverb!! thanks for the personal welcome!