WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Katla - that is Katy in the pink beside my Mom, two years older than me. She has/had pancreatic cancer (last test showed no cancer present) and is also bi-polar, poor little thing has had a rough time of it. Since I have lost weight she and I could be twins. :) I'm second from the left in the back row.

Janetr okc (having a good laugh at the unintentional guessing game)
  • lilacroses622
    lilacroses622 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members.
    Had a very quiet relaxing day with the husband.
    Have a wonderful evening.

Martha
    from Ontario Oregon
  • lilacroses622
    lilacroses622 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members.
    Had a very quiet relaxing day with the husband.
    Have a wonderful evening.

Martha
    from Ontario Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,646 Member
    Options
    z
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Home. Back in the land where I can drink water from the faucet and put toilet paper in the toilet. :smile:

Had a good week of diving. I would check in when the internet was up in the evening but honestly didn't read everything. I was just too tired. Saw some awesome things. Not a single shark but a lot of Eagle Rays, new fish species, squid, and I got a neat little video of a jelly fish. Highlight of the week was seeing five different seahorses. One was just a baby and about an inch long. You have no idea how hard it is to see them. They blend in quite well. Here is a picture of one of the seahorses, this one was pretty big, about five inches tall.

fjyiculzzrdz.jpg
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Well I have read through a lot of posts, but don't quiz me, ladies! Looks like Heather had a great trip and met up with Penny and a polar bear?

And Mary from MN is back! And Cheri's DH has a choice of two jobs! And the ailing hubbies seem to be doing all right?

I need to get back on track but I have a hard time getting motivated to exercise when it is as hot as it has been. Between vacation and Fathers' Day I have been indulging in these crazy things called desserts--do you know what those are? They are rich and creamy and seem to have an amazing amount of calories!! Must stop eating them!

Lisa, you said some really important things about human perception. I agree with you. And amazing things can happen when perceptions change. But people need to think outside the box, don't they? And this individual allowed himself to stay in his box.

Betty Roc

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    #
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Are we having a battle of the letters/numbers/characters?

As you know we have two daughters. ONe lives here in town and the other about 3 hours away. So all the family here in town, 9 of us, went to a favorite of the men, Cheddars, for Father's Day meal. Then Michelle came over, spent some time with us, mowed out lawn, trimmed, weeded etc. But Christina hadn't called her dad by 7 PM which is 8 PM. He can get a pretty good case of the pity party. So I texted her to see if she was going to call. Not long after she did call and ehr and her Dad had a nice talk. Charlie doesn't talk much on the phone and he knows that Christina and I do talk a lot so he gave the phone to me. She kind of chastised me in that I questioned whether she would be calling her Dad. I'm the one who has to live with this pity party. He knows that when they were growing up he wasn't the best dad in the world as far as attending functions and supporting them in those aspects of their life. But he has done a complete turn around and the girls and his grand daughters totally love him and he has no reason to have his pity parties. I guess I just need to trust her that she will call.

Loved the pictures of the sea horses. Our oldest grand daughter has some fantastic friends that have taken her on vacation with them for the last several years. They always go somewhere along the beach in Florida. This year they saw lots of dolphins, stingrays, even shark in the surf along the beach. They found a lot, meaning bunches of star fish but she said they stunk so much there was no way they were bringing them home.

At Cheddars I went with the intention of getting my usual of the chicken tenders appetizer and getting steamed broccoli with no butter as the side. But i was bad and got the Spasanga. I only ate 1/3 and immediately put the other 2/3 in a carry out box for Charlie. Tomorrow I am going to an old friend's house for lunch. Years ago, and I mean in the 70's we worked together. It was one of those relationships that just clicked. She was a unit secretary and i was an RN but i was shy and this was her first job and she was a very shy strict Catholic girl so we made strange pair but we were instant friends. I noticed one time she looked like she was gaining weight in the wrong place and got the courage enough to ask her if she was pregnant. Bless her heart, she didn't hadn't told anyone, not even her parents or boyfriend. I told her that if I had noticed that i'm sure her parents had. So we met up on face book the other day. She was one of those suggested friends because she was a friend of a friend. So we decided to meet for lunch. Then she invite someone else and that person said wouldn't it be nice if this and this person came. So now I think we have about 15 people coming that used to work together about that time ago. We all worked at the hospital but eventually left that unit to go to different areas. This girl was always making zuchinni bread so I know there is going to be something good there. I am taking a fresh fruit salad so that I know I can at least have fruit. I know a relish tray is also coming. But a home made pecan pie and home made potato salad and potato soup. This is an old german community and some of these ladies know how to cook! So, small supper tomorrow night.

JOyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny & Heather & everyone else across the pond Top O' the Morning to You!

I have these wakeful periods in the middle of the night. Probably shouldn't have the screen on but I do turn the brightness way down LOL!

Betty Roc Actually it looks like you would score well on a quiz! Quite impressive!

Marcelyn I am fascinated by your wee sea creature. What a wonderful watery photo.

Janetr You girls sure do look alike. I couldn't decide which of you was you! And I do like that quote. So true, whether it is cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, food, another person...

Joyce I LOVE the story of your planned get together.

I am currently plotting & planning with 4 high school buddies to meet in September in Estes Park. They get together every 6 months but I can't get there as often because of logistics, so I am looking forward to this a great deal. A fifth friend who was one of our musketeers is completely disabled with Alzheimers for the last decade.

My mom was part of "sewing club" euphemistically named...a group of women who met each month for over 50 years to share their lives...what rich history.

Have fun and just eat a portion of what appeals to you & then back on plan, don't let the food be a dilemma. Just have fun!

Hi Martha, I have been here for a few weeks & feel very welcomed, it is so nice to have this community.

I am grateful to Barbie for keeping this forum going. Thanks for checking on Vicki in Grand Island, I plan to PM her to let her know I am thinking of her.

Going back to sleep now, work in a few hours.

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,765 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    yup it's me at 3:19 a.m.woke up and had been having the strangest dream.woke up about 2:15 and finally really woke up at 2:50..
    Penny~ you up and awake over there (waving good morning)
    I don't know what time Faith will wake up but will leave here at around 6:30-7 and go home , get myself in the shower and get ready for work and walk the boys.
    working 9-5 today and it will be nice to sleep in my own bed ...we shall see what goes on with the Dr today what kind of mood he will be in
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone - wishing all of you a wonderful day filled with victories, large or small!

ppx7mwyynk0u.jpg
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well ladies ....... drum roll .............. I DIDN'T PUT ON ANY WEIGHT ON THE CRUISE! :drinker:

Sooooooo happy! I might even be down a pound by tomorrow as it usually takes a day to clear the travelling home bloat.

Thank you for your comments on my pics and travelogue. I do enjoy telling you all about it and I apologise to anyone who finds it annoying. <3

Barbie - My DH was really fed up and worried before we went at the idea of the formal nights, but he didn't find it nearly as difficult as he thought. If you didn't want to join in you could have dinner served in your cabin.

The "Mexican" dress I only wore once, the other two times I wore my yoga teacher's dress that I wore to DH's 70th birthday party. I love that dress and it is so comfortable.

Karen in Virginia - Muchas gracias! Tusen takk!

DH is downstairs cleaning out and washing the fridge before we do a supermarket run this afternoon. What a star! :love:
    I am slowly unpacking and washing stuff, but, because of the free laundry service, I have piles of beautifully washed and ironed clothes. (I never iron) :D

Kim - Good luck with the job and course!

Barbie - Thinking of you and Jake. <3

Joyce and Becca - Glad things are slowly improving. You have been amazing. :flowerforyou:

Katla - I have been reading about your horse adventures and achievements with great interest. It sounds very special. :love:

Much love to all. Back to the unpacking. Penny, where are you?

Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So, I have narrowed it down to two gyms that cost only $20/mo and are closer to my home. Now, I just have to decide if I want a gym with free group fitness classes or a gym with free personal training. I think I will go tour them both this weekend.
    Linda - Great that you've found two reasonably-priced gyms close by. I would have trouble choosing between free group classes and free personal training. When I lived in a city with a gym, I thoroughly enjoyed attending classes. I would combine them with workouts on the equipment and do my grocery shopping on the way home. But personal training is great for accountability and to prevent injuries. Would checking details like the scheduling of classes and how often you can use the PT help you decide?
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Friends of ours take the ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey Island on their way back to Orcas Island.
    Katla - I've only been to Orcas Island once, but the experience was so magical it will be with me forever. All you need to do is write the words and I am back there, feeling the moist air, seeing the salmonberry blossoms through the mist, hearing the waves on the shore. My sister took my family and her son to some kind of nature resort - way off-season so it was deserted except for us. There was a big square jacuzzi built over a natural hot spring, flanked by cold-water pools. We went there late in the evening and electricity wasn't working so I can't "see" it very well in my memory, but somehow that makes the recollection even more powerful.
    HeatherUK Are you & Penny both heading back to your individual homes at about the same time?Karen in Virginia
    Karen in VA - Geez Louise! I don't know where my real home is nowadays. I have four places I call home (one in Sweden, one in Svalbard and two in northern Norway). When I get to my parents' summer place next week, that will be home. I also have a spiritual home in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where I grew up.

When the airport in Stockholm expanded with a new wing about a decade ago, the decoration theme was semi-transparent pictures showing the faces of young people of different ethnic origin and bearing the words (in many different languages) "I am a citizen of the world – at home in any country – everywhere a stranger" That's how I feel.

Lisa - I'm in awe of you, writing editorials/opinion pieces so often - and on a deadline! I only do it once a year and it always leaves me mentally drained. I'm the kind of person who really has to dig deep to find an opinion that doesn't feel too trivial to write about. :/ Maybe I need practice. :D

Heather - I'm glad to hear the hat arrived and was waiting for you. I admired that hat from the moment I saw it and would have been very sad if it had disappeared forever. Happy to see that you had some blue sky for Pyramiden.

Public announcement: Heather has been to the Arctic Russian ghost town of Pyramiden, and I haven't! (Can't have that! >:)) But an old classmate from secondary school is coming up for a once-in-a-lifetime visit in late August and has booked a trip there. We will be going along.
    For your various successes:
    Yay Pip!
    Yay Re!
    Yay Heather!

Uploading a picture of a cruise ship taken out my bedroom window at 3 am this morning. (I'm at our holiday home in Northern Norway.) It was moving toward Tromsø at the speed of a rowboat. A ptarmigan woke me up an hour later and when I looked, I could still see the ship!
    om1xed2oqw1i.jpg

For good measure, here's the ptarmigan. He and his hen (almost invisible to the right) apparently spend most nights on this burn pile in our yard.
    p8cwrv4rkser.jpg

I'm struggling to get some stray editing commissions finished before I take off for New Hampshire. I also want to get the garden in shape to be left on its own for three weeks. That means putting nets around the strawberry patch and fiber tents over the pallet frames where I'm growing vegetables this year. Last time I was here I set them up, sowed the seeds and left them in the hands of God for three weeks. God did a great job then and I'm hoping for similar beneficence over the next three weeks. Mixed lettuce, arugula and carrots in the closest frame and carrots and dill beyond. There's another frame to the left with radishes, purple kale and mixed Asian greens.
    04xx3fkzni1c.jpg

Checked the weather forecast for New Hampshire. For the first couple days I can expect temperatures of 60-70°F, which I can totally do. Then it's supposed to heat up and reach the 90s. I start to wilt at about 80°F. :dizzy:

:disappointed:Ugh! Penny, heading back to the editing salt mine, far from the North Pole
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,646 Member
    Options
    ;
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,765 Member
    Options
    Well I am home and took a shower.. still feeling very very tired and have a rocky tummy, so drinking plain tea, and will bring some dry cheerios and some fruit, I will be home a little after 5.
    Penny beautiful pictures as usual!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Penny heading to the editing salt mine Loved the pictures, your raised beds are so neat and orderly. Isn't Ptarmigan also known as Lagopus? Are you a Ptarmigan?

I used to have many homes, too, but have gradually pared down with an eventual goal of something along the lines of a pup tent, plus my spiritual home in Nebraska. I am still a ways from attaining that goal.

Speaking of goals, Re you go, girl!

And Cheri Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Champs!

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »

My life is blissfully quiet... but, I had a major breakthrough today.

FINALLY the medical scale at the gym showed be BELOW 250 - after what seemed like an eternity at 251.

To celebrate, I did 4 sets of abdominal crunches and 45 minutes on the elliptical.

I am SOOO stoked.

Love you guys!

Re in TX

m1272.gif Congratulations for your weight loss and especially for your decision to celebrate by doing more exercise...I look forward to sharing your continued success.

<3 Barbie