WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Heather- thank you for sharing your holiday with us! I'm so happy that you had such great adventures to share!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    heather I love that you are not even off the cruise and you are working on duolingo for Spanish already. I think that is amazing (pip like if I can draw that comparison). Finally you can share more pics with us!!

My summer plan to help DOS is starting to take shape. More details about that later but the work and my "vacation" in Philadelphia starts beginning of July. Making plans to stay on track now so I don't go completely off the rails as stressful family dynamics trigger my out of control eating (and wine, there will be wine)
    The smallest steps are still steps... Just thought of that sounds like it belongs on a fridge magnet!!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3:| NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Talked to my husband a lot over the last couple days about the job thing, and asked him a question that really got him thinking, instead of simply reacting. I asked him, "What would it take to make you want to stay in the job?"

He called his boss, and the gist of it was, a) he wants to be in Fort Stockton with me, b) he would be willing to drive to and from the ranch each day (and a few other people do), c) he hasn't had a raise in more than a year. So, what he offered as a solution was that he get a raise that basically pays him for drive time, which at his current salary would bump him up quite a bit (like ten or twelve grand a year). We move completely out of the house on the ranch and into town, which relieves them of the expense of our staying there, plus frees up our house for the owner's son-in-law, which would give him both an office and a place to sleep besides the bunkroom of the big house, as well as a place for his wife and kids to come and stay, etc. It sounds to us like a good solution. Will it sound like that to them? Who knows.

But, what it does do is keep him in a job that he genuinely likes, even though they do make him crazy, keeps our health insurance, etc., intact until I can get him on mine, and helps make them aware that he doesn't want to leave, but will in order to get what we need, which is to be together. Burning bridges is seldom a good idea, and this keeps him from doing that. They're good people, if a little chaotic (OK, a lot chaotic), and it should be interesting. If they flat turn him down, he'll simply keep looking for another job until he finds one.

Anyway - the sale was successful, if not ragingly so. However, it may get even more successful today. One customer said she wants a number of the large pieces of furniture, but didn't have the cash yesterday. She is supposed to be back with a truck today to pick up and pay for all of them, around five p.m. Will she show? Not sure--but if she does, it will almost double the take from the sale, as she'd be getting all four eight-foot tall cabinets and both beds. Hope she's got tall ceilings. These are all massive! So, fingers crossed.

It feels like a massive burden lifted, to have the sales off my plate until the fall. Two jobs is definitely one too many. We'll see how it all turns out in the end.

Thank you to all for the good wishes on both the sale and the DH's job. Karen in VA, what a lovely compliment that was for me and my husband.

Speaking of which, my husband's mother died yesterday. She abandoned 11 of her 12 children (seriously) and her husband when my husband was 13 years old, taking only the youngest daughter with her. He's not seen her since, though the older sisters have gone to see her a few times. I asked him how he felt about her death, and his answer was that, as far as he was concerned, she died the day she left. Most of her grandchildren never even met her, including our two kids. I ache for them all, but respect his right to his own emotional substructure. It explains a lot about who he is now.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lisa Nice editorial - you are a talent.

HeatherUK Love that you are starting the Spanish Duolingo. I am going to have to look into Duolingo. Just curious as I can't remember. Are you & Penny both heading back to your individual homes at about the same time? I loved going on your Norway & North Pole journey.

@desanders68 Welcome! I am Karen in Virginia. What is your moniker?

Pip I made another little contribution in memory of some other little children including Gloria's Alexander aka Superman even though he didn't die from cancer. You are my hero.

Joyce in Indiana Yes, as you know, zoysia tends to fill the space its in and go beyond, albeit not as rampantly as Bermudagrass. We could use a trimmer every week and have nice crisp borders but that is so not us. So once a year we get out our wonderful Japanese root knives and cut deeply along the inside of the curb straight through the chunk of grass and then just sort of peel it off the curb, taking some roots as we go, and transplant it into bare (sunny) areas. I have given up hoping it will ever grow in the shade although this variety has that potential. We started with a lot of hard work using plugs 3 years ago, and by the end of this summer, our sunny front lawn will be almost 100% zoysia with hardly a weed or a blade of crabgrass anywhere. So much better than the weedlawn we started out with. You could probably plug that hole in Charlie's belly with a zoysia plug. No, seriously, if it isn't healing well it could be a bacteria thing, maybe you need 1/4 strength Dakin's or something, just ask your surgeon. For the butt, too. Just a thought.

Michele It isn't supposed to be cakey...sounds like a disaster... :) ...so embarrassed. Ugh. I will make it and see what the deal is so I can rectify this baking travesty that has occurred. Never fear. It always came out gooey brownies when I used to make it. I never did try to turn it out but cut it in the pan and lifted the individual brownies out to serve or wrap in saran wrap. They usually disappeared too fast to worry about their disposition too much.

Kim I want to go on that camping trip. And make the zucchini bread with the orange in it.

Barbie I am sorry for Jake's pain. Hope he will have a remedy soon, as daily debilitating pain is spirit-breaking. I am glad he has you, but I know it takes a big toll on you, too.

Margaret The Fairy Garden <3 I didn't add the Galapagos to my bucket list until after I went. ;)

Allie I actually do believe it would freak the mean dentist out to walk in to the room and see you sitting there, perhaps with the drill in one hand and a probe in the other, saying, "don't be afraid, my precious, just come on in and we'll talk a bit" as the door locks behind him. Oh my imagination is a bit sadistic I am afraid. I am just pi$$ed off at this guy for bullying you.

I have to work today like Kirby. And it looks like it is going to be such a pretty day...W-w-aahhh!

Does anyone have any communication with Vicki in Grand Island? She posted about the cancer on her arm & needing a wider excision & then disappeared.

Cheri <3

Karen in Virginia
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA ~ Yesterday, DH and I plugged zoysia into one area of our front lawn that is weedy and bare. I started all of this with just a very few plugs and have been amazed at how it has spread. We got the Amazoy brand that you order on line. You are right about it being mostly weed free. We do have a problem with wild violets trying to take over. I had one lawn care company come and try to take care of it and they killed all the grass but the violets. Luckily the zoysia came back.

Carol
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope you get to enjoy your Father's Day with your loved ones!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret, I love the fairy garden!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Good Morning lovely ladies~
    And Happy Father's Day to all the dad's that are attached to all of you...
    just a stunning day here in Connecticut.. went down and fed DFIL he has been cranky and disruptive the last day or 2, but at lunchtime I will run to McDonalds and get him his favorite, hamburger,fries and a vanilla milk shake.. and spend lunch time with him.. Tom brought Homer(Killer) down to visit, how they love to see him..
    Faith was asleep by 6 last night and was awake early so took care of her and will get her lunch together before I go, then will be back after that to make dinner for her,,,
    Sean ,Jean and Dad will be going up to Lake Winnie to Jeans familys place up there to check on it and visit withmy aunt June who is acutally a cousin but is 8 yrs younger than my dad.. she is end stage COPD and her son lives right next door, she, my dad and my dads brother,my uncle are the only ones left of that generation..sorta mind blowing because that means we are the generation that I remember as kids that they were OY..
    My dad is really enjoying himself this weekend and it makes my heart happy,wish I was with them but know that I am helping them do what they can and that Faith is in safe hands..I will make him his favorite nut cookies his mom used to make for father's day I know that would thrill him to pieces..
    He will have a busy summer, with this weekend, then going with me for 4th of July weekend and then Sean and Jeans wedding ...
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Arrived home from Milwaukee via Chicago and Fishers, IN very close to the midnight mark on the clock. Tired and needing my own bed!

Will try and catch up with posts later today! Love that we share so much of our lives but geesh is it ever so hard to catch up when we step away for a day or 2 or 3....

Hubs and I weren't overly impressed with the area but should he accept the position in WI we could manage. On the way home he received another offer....this one is in Texas (College Station). This is one he really wants. Career Services in a Graduate School of a top college/university. So it looks like I will just get the laundry done and off to Texas we will go to see the area! We have always wanted to live in a college town to take advantage of all that it offers. AND NO MORE SNOW!!!

Hope all of you are enjoying a wonderful day. Wishing all the dads in your lives a Happy Father's day. Think of you all everyday. Appreciate to the moon and back all your support!

Cheri
    Sunny NE oHIo soon to be in......??
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    morning peeps!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Cheri ~ So hoping your DH gets the job he wants.

Pip ~ You are amazing! Wish I had a thimbleful of the energy you put out every day.

Happy Father's Day! Waiting for the grand kids and DnL to come by and will take them to Chinese if they want to go.

Carol
  • pipcd34
    Options
    just saw the donation keystonedaren!! thank you so much!!! u alone put me over $100!! YOU ARE MY HERO!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Peach - thanks.. all i do is try.

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Got the camera pics downloaded.
    one of me and Penny meeting a polar bear. I am wearing the hat I lost later at the museum and which Penny posted back to me. It was on my mat when I arrived home! :D<3

f64u8lctm3dx.jpg

And now a view from the top of the Varden viewpoint in Molde. DH climbed up there while I went to the museum and spoke Norwegian.

s0yp637b967e.jpg

love Heather UK