WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cheri
    Sunny NE oHIo soon to be in......??

I love the thot that no matter where your husband decides to go, you will still be just as close as ever to us. Great to have options.

Janetr OKC (which its still HOT)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    Heather ~ all I can say is just stunning... each and every picture.. may I suggest over here in the states we have different websites that will make you a hard copy book of pictures one in particular is shutterfly ... that would be such a wonderful keepsake from your trip...
    Janet ~ love the picture of you and your parents and aren't you lucky to have all those sisters.. I only have the one brother.. but a SIL too..
    went down and brought McDonalds to my DFIL , was he ever thrilled, he polished that off toot sweet... and then when they served lunch he ate some more lol.. he is such a card. but he did say that Tom and I are his favorites.. only because we are the only ones that care..
    stopped down to my house and made Tom's lunch for tomorrow, ya ya I know he can make himself stuff,but he does appreciate when I do.. so that is all set,got some ice water and am back up here with Faith.. will whip up some dinner for her in a bit.. right now just sitting on the porch and enjoying the weather...
    P.S. Heather ~always look for coupon codes and discounts for those photo books..
    I went on the Kohl's website and got 40% off a white shrug I need to take to Nashville ended up getting it for 17.81
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    Janetr- Love the photo! <3

Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather- thanks for sharing the pictures! Love the one with you, Penny and the polar bear!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    Well I did it, 25.15minutes into my 54minute ride!
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Husband wanted Mexican food-I was worried about this. Did well. No chips; had fish, beans and some avocado. Tasted great.
    Son was here last weekend. Had tea party with granddaughters (2 & 4). The older one was so excited to use a real tea cup with flowers on it.
    Will see daughter later today. She just got back from a mission trip to China. She is moving to southern China to teach English and literature in a small university. Leaving sometime in August. How I will miss her. Hope we can skype.

Debbie in S TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Margaret – Way to go with the pink flamingos!

Mary – Pressure wash the garage with some Clorox (or other bleach); maybe that will get rid of the cat urine smell because it will permeate the concrete. I don’t know about coyote urine; but, you can probably buy it at some place like Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain. I know my guys use some kind of stuff that doesn’t smell so bad that a human’s nose picks it up; but, other animals can. I agree with Michele, I probably would not put it inside the garage, especially if you have doors and keep it shut. Another way is to take the kitties for a ride (near a place with a barn) or to another neighborhood that has a reputation of feeding feral cats.

Michele – A belated party. He got a grill for DDnL#1, us, and DDnL#1’s mother, we got him a nice brush; the grill is great; just the right size for when they entertain or have a small group or just their family. Cast iron, so friend told him to cook a tenderloin and put a pan under it to catch the liquid; then rub the inside – top, sides, and grate down with it … and then he won’t have to ‘clean’ it like some others. DOS has very dark hair (almost black, speckled with gray, dark hazel eyes, and dark skin – his nickname is “Taco.” He got 4 T-shirts – one looks like the label off a Vintage bourbon bottle – aged 40 years; one with what looks like he has a name tag on it with the “Hello My Name is Taco”. I can’t remember the other; but all had something to do with “Taco” being on it. He has the coloring of my Daddy as well as my DFnL. My Daddy’s hair was so black that it looked midnight blue. Birthday was on the 16th. I occasionally falls on Father’s Day.

Lisa – Talking about colors; I have this thing on my bulletin board that has various colors down it; one side it lumps several colors that a person sees all as ‘red’, ‘yellow’, blue, green, pink, and orange; on the opposite side it shows what an ‘artists’ sees (all the colors). Black IS a color; white is ‘lack of color’; black can be made by mixing the primary colors; or colors opposite of the color wheel, or by mixing all trinary colors; which are the 3 colors like red, blue, and yellow; or if you turned that triangle like a clock still makes the color ‘black’ by mixing those colors (when using the right amount in the mixture). These 3 colors (primary colors) are the ‘only’ ones you cannot make by mixing any other color. True colors.

Mixing the opposite colors or trinary colors you can make shadows correctly – using black as a shadow color is not what an artist sees; they see just a darker color of whatever color they are using. IF I was stuck on an island and could get a bucket of things sent to me every month; I’d want brushes, palette knife, canvases, and black, white, red, blue, and yellow paint sent to me. Something to mix them on like a wax paper roll or stack of Styrofoam plates, and some mineral oil. I’d also like a set of pencils, erasers, and some drawing paper. I could keep myself busy every day; and, I’d paint on the trees as well. I know I’d be asking for a lot; but, I could entertain myself if I was on that island alone. Whenever I paint and finish for the day; I take my wax pallet and gently roll one side the other; top-to-bottom, side-to-side – making sure I don’t make a crease. Then I hang it up; and look at it at all angles to see if I see ‘something’ in it – like children do with clouds. Now painting my ‘new’ granddaughter some ‘sunflowers’; but, she’s asked that I use pink instead so they will match her ‘pink’ room. So to keep them from looking like zinnias; I am also painting in a few yellow ones; and, then use a black pen to outline the shapes I see. I did one not long ago that looked like 2 women with hats on and in 'fancy' dresses - like in the 20's; one holding up a cigarette and cigarette holder, Colors associates with race – red, yellow, black and white are what “Jesus Loves” … all the children of the world.

Love your philosophical article about how humans think. I don’t think you are wrong.

We also are estranged from DH’s daughter and her child – he looks at it as if she died (along with her husband and child) the day his Mother died. One day, Karma, will visit with her and sit down and have a discussion about how she ‘cheated’ her Daddy, our 2 sons, her uncle and his two sons with her 'greed'; and, a General Power of Attorney that she had pulled off the Internet and gotten their Mother and Nana to sign giving her full power over her and what would have been her estate. God doesn’t like ‘greed’; that is one of the ‘deadly sins’. It’s also ‘illegal’ in FL and probably in most states for one to prepare a POA for someone to sign that gives away their power to do things to that person who prepares it. She got her to sign it and told her that it was something the A.L.F., needed - a lie; but, not her first one. We could have taken her to court over it; but, DH and DBnL said, ‘it was not worth the arguments’ and attorney's fee of $500 a hour. My biggest issue was that she ‘took’ a painting that I had given to my DMnL one Christmas (the only one that I apparently did not sign). I wrote and asked if she’d send it to me to sign it and I’d send it back. Did not get, so much as a "Kiss my @$$." We’ve not heard a peep out of her for nearly 10 years.

Joyce – We have Centipede grass; before we moved here we also had it in our yard in a neighborhood; one neighbor had Zoysia; the other had Bermuda grass. Where they met – it was like they fought one another about where the line was. I think the Centipede won most of the time because it shoots out roots on a 'runner'. So when we planted grass out here we’d take piece of sod and cut them into pieces, sprinkled sand over it and in 2 years’ time or less it had covered the yard.

Cheri and Allie – My first OB/GYN did not have the best of ‘bedside manners’ – he still is someone that you either ‘love’ him or ‘hate’ him. I absolutely LOVE him; but, not always. One day as a patient in the hospital after have a really rare complication of pregnancy (Hydatidiformole pregnancy); we walked in the room, never coming in but 7 or 8 feet at the most with a nurse. I told the nurse to leave the room and told him to come over by my bed … I railed him up one side and down the other because I still could not understand what I was going through. Did not see him over the weekend; and the one OB/GYN was doing rounds. I questioned if I had made the ‘right’ decision. It was after dark; and, he told me to look out the window and see the light on in their office. He was researching what was wrong with me, because he did NOT want to perform a hysterectomy on a 24-year-old women with no children. Said he would do research for hours. That Monday, he walked in, without a nurse, and sat down on the end of my bed and explained what he had found out; and, that I should be able to try to start a family (waiting at least a year or until the HCG levels got out of my body). Started kidding him that we were feeding Duke University’s Medical Center’s vampire all my blood. Every Friday I would go to his office and have 5 tubes of blood drawn to send there, so that the following Friday he'd have the results. Had to take 9 weeks of chemotherapy because pieces of it (Placenta) had migrated to other organs of my body – that had to also be cleared up. I now have 2 smart, good-looking, kind, and loving sons; 2 DDsnL, and 4 DGDs. I don’t think I could be more ‘blessed’. This complication only occurs in 1:2000 pregnancies whereas naturally conceived twins occur in 1:89. The last time I saw him he told me that he had only had 2 others in the 40 years since mine in all the years he has practiced; but, they caught them early because of the 3-and 4-dimentional x-ray machines they now have in their office and sonogram machines. Now they can take pictures of the baby and you can tell 'who' they look like. That is amazing to me.

Cheri – I’d be wanting to move to TX (or any place that is warm) … I can’t handle ‘cold’; and even in summer there is a blanket on our bed; and a small blanket on my chair in the den. We ‘might’ get a few inches of snow every 15 or so years actually more like 40 since we got our last big snow; had another 3” about 4 or 5 years ago. DGDs had a ball; but, it was almost gone by the next day. YEAH!!!!!

Janetr - 6 girls! HA! HA! Probably like my Daddy - he was the KING of the house; and we were 'all very spoiled'. My Mother used to say 'she wanted 6 boys; but, stopped at 3 girls because they were twice as nice'.

Lenora
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, it appears I've found my group....I'm Melanie, I live in Baton Rouge, La. I'm 54 y/o (wow...that just "sounds" OLD) ;) As of this morning, my weight is 214.4. I walk at least a mile every morning, sometimes as much as 2.5 miles. I'm new to my fitness pal, and would like to lose 40lbs. I'm a former smoker, having FINALLY quit in November. Looking forward to chatting with you all, and learning from you all.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    +
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    Lisa – powerful powerful powerful!

Lisa – Great idea to ask for what you want, especially when the two of you are prepared for a no! I am sorry for DH with his Mom; I have family members that when they go I will not miss either but I miss what “could” have been if they could have been mentally healthier.

Karen or any one else – if you come I will cook or we will cook!

Cheri – so how far apart is College station and Lisa? I know TX is huge!

Heather – phone pic are great and the Mexico dress is lovely, as are you and DH - Love the polar bear!

Love the dad pictures, I need to find one of my Dad, He was just 52, younger than I am when he died and I was just 19, The sadist thing is that there are no pictures of us as a family in every picture the person taking the picture is not in it… and usually that was Dad. And while I have some pics, none are scanned in.

June Goals
    1 fun thing a week, graduation, visiting with Vickie, working in Eden garden,
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Janetr, oh how the hair styles in your pic look soooo familiar. Why did we do that?

Heather, enjoyed more of your pics. Loved the formal dress, it will fit right in on your next trip. Your husband is a handsome man. Lucky couple.

I have posted pics of both my Dad and my husband on Face Book for Father's Day. They kind of were the exact opposite kind of Dads. My Dad was hands on with everything and loved it. he was always one to let us do anything to him if it made life fun. If we wanted to put rollers in his hair, then so be it. If it was playing in the sprinkler, her was there. He was gone a lot with his ministry but that was OK, it was what I admired in him. Now my sister didn't like that part of Dad. My husband though was always there for our girls but what my Dad saw as talent in the making, Charlie saw as juvenile talent. So it was just me at their games, musicals, piano recitals, etc. But he was a very protective Dad and was always wanting to give. Over his senior life he has realized that you give in different ways. Now he wants to give himself, not just money.

Lisa, enjoyed your article. A lot of it reminded me of my niece's husband who has been blind since birth. He has to take everything for what you say it is.

Our trio went very well today. I don't know what happened to me WEdnesday night when I got the first verse wrong every time.

If we get some good roots with our trimming, we will have to try some plugging. But there are a lot of weeds along the sidewalk and driveway.

desanders, I tried putting in a separate diary for my husband and it didn't work unless I would have to open up a new MFP account under a yahoo, or gmail address or something like that. I'm not sure he would ever be interested though. I could show him the visual but it would go in one eaar and out the other. But I think that's how you do it.

Joye, Indiana
  • SelenaC2016
    SelenaC2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm a newbie.... I just got a personal trainer and he wanted me to join myfitnesspal to log all my food....I love that there is a group for 50+.... :) Still trying to find my way around the site..
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,656 Member
    Options
    welcome selena! and other newbies I have failed to welcome!

Kim in N. Cal
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.

Hot here in southeastern WI. Made yard work pretty unpleasant. Good thing though pool water is starting to get warm finally. Got my car washed though. Sweet tea is going to be my downfall today. Gets hot and that is all I want to drink.

Love seeing the pics some of you have been posting. Always great to see them. Love the dress.

Welcome to everyone who is new to the group.

Have been busy and going through the posts there is so much going on with everyone it seems. I use to be told the older you get your life gets easier. I would like to know who came up with that. Everyone here seems so busy and active or taking care of loved ones. We just have to remember to take care of ourselves too. As women we tend to care of others and always put ourselves last. I am guilty of this myself.

Well off to figure out what I am going to have for dinner. Maybe a salad with grilled chicken and some fruit. Don't want to cook anything inside today to hot.

Anne from Wisconsin

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    spin- 54min, 102ar, 52aw, 6-7g, 149mhr, 11.1mi = 386c *met 400mi goal at 25.15min*
    other- outside yard work- 60min= 124c
    total cal 510
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lenora - thanks for the information!

<3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Heather loved the pictures from your trip. Thank you for Sharing.

Lisa glad your sale went well.

The Nature Center is closed today and tomorrow. Plan to go back Tuesday or Wednesday to get pictures.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    I am in jammies and in bed... I did basically a whole bunch of nothing today.. but my heart is full.. took care of DFIL and Faith , gave them some meals that they enjoyed and got to listen to the birds
    Tomorrow is back home and back to work.. we shall see how this week goes with Dr Nasty.. I have let it lay and will continue to until I feel that there needs something to be done..
    well will check in tomorrow.. ta ta for now...
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Soooo enjoyed all the photos!

Heather: You and DH look stunning in your formal attire.

Janet: Are we supposed to guess which of the 6 sisters is you??? I say, top row, far right.

Welcome to Selena and all the newbies. You've landed in a friendly and supportive community.

I've been listening to the book, The Calorie Myth. Curious to know if anyone here has read the book and tried the suggested regime. There is a heavy emphasis on vegetables and protein, healthy fats and the right carbs. D'oh!

This has been a very relaxing weekend. I love the hot weather and getting in a long swim early before the kids get to the pool. Yesterday I got in a nap! Decadent.

Well, I have to do a little work in preparation for leaving tomorrow for 6 days in Indiana (sorry, Joyce. Won't be south of Indianapolis this time.) Will boil some shrimp for dinner and make a big green salad. Corn muffins for DH.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • pipcd34
    Options
    =