What are your thoughts on what I ate today?

2»

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    How about adding some eggs or a plant based protein shake in there?

The OP said she's going vegan, so eggs are out of the question.

I agree with everyone on adding protein/fat. Nuts will help.
    My bad. I was thinking "vegetarian" not vegan.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Honestly my only thing with your day is it seems -too- healthy. Sure, it's great, but how long will it last? The key with dietary changes are that it's sustainable. Dot be afraid to throw some chips and breads in there (breads are surprisingly good sources of protein). You only need about 45-55g protein a day so you're not that far off it seems. Lots of veggies are just PACKED with protein- the only thing is eating enough to make them add up. You seemed to be on track with the first macros you posted- if you at 1500 calories instead of 900 but with the same foods it looked like you would meet your needs. I don't know how long you've been vegan, but if this is a new thing, don't worry about going a little under on your nutrients. A few bad days won't hurt you. But just make sure it's sustainable. Remember those breads and chips (usually vegan) if you're craving them.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    LaDiiHeArT wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your comment, I'm going to swap out the fruit bowl and use those calories to a fat/protein filled dinner. I'll be sure to update you guys with what I make. Any non-meat/dairy suggestions for tomorrow?

Off the top of my head, here are some of my current favorite foods: cashew milk ice cream (So Delicious makes a good one), hummus, gaucamole, kimchi (you'll want to check the ingredients, some has fish sauce), roasted beets, roasted red bell peppers (delicious on a sandwich with portobello mushrooms), blackberries, cold brew coffee with vanilla protein powder and coconut milk/coconut creamer, rice noodles with peanut sauce, tempeh bacon, spring rolls, wok-seared sugar snap peas with soy sauce and sesame oil, black bean chili, fresh corn, and tofu scramble.
    Thanks everyone for your comment, I'm going to swap out the fruit bowl and use those calories to a fat/protein filled dinner. I'll be sure to update you guys with what I make. Any non-meat/dairy suggestions for tomorrow?

Off the top of my head, here are some of my current favorite foods: cashew milk ice cream (So Delicious makes a good one), hummus, gaucamole, kimchi (you'll want to check the ingredients, some has fish sauce), roasted beets, roasted red bell peppers (delicious on a sandwich with portobello mushrooms), blackberries, cold brew coffee with vanilla protein powder and coconut milk/coconut creamer, rice noodles with peanut sauce, tempeh bacon, spring rolls, wok-seared sugar snap peas with soy sauce and sesame oil, black bean chili, fresh corn, and tofu scramble.

Please tell me more about tempeh bacon. I've tried to find a good recipe for something like this, but haven't come across one. Or.. Is this something you can find in a store?
  • RitchieB2709
    RitchieB2709 Posts: 11 Member
    The very first reply has it in a nutshell.. weigh and log everything and find out what you should be eating calorie and macronutrient wise and direct compare to that... to me it looks carb heavy and too low in fat and protein
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    alyssagb1 wrote: »

Please tell me more about tempeh bacon. I've tried to find a good recipe for something like this, but haven't come across one. Or.. Is this something you can find in a store?

You can buy it in the store, but I also find it really easy to make. There are tons of recipes out there, I like the one by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This one I just found online is similiar to it: http://simpleveganblog.com/tempeh-bacon/ except I would skip the cumin and add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade. I would use maple syrup instead of the agave too because I like maple in my bacon. You can't really mess it up -- don't be afraid to play with the flavors. It's great on sandwiches.
  • LaDiiHeArT
    LaDiiHeArT Posts: 118 Member
    Hi everyone, I was kind of winging it the first day and the second day it was a bit better. Here's what I had yesterday.

Green Juice
    Spinach, celery, kale, green apple, pineapple, with hemp seeds.

Sliced Mango sprinkled with Chia seeds.

Lunch
    Two slices of 15 grain slice bread toasted with avocado smash, cherry tomatoes, with lemon juice. Side salad with half kale, half spinach, walnut, tomatoes, quinoa, cucumbers, onion, sprinkled with hemp seeds.

Snack
    Baby carrots, cucumber, and green peppers with hummus.

Dinner
    Black bean burger, topped with two slices of avocado, sliced onions, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and organic vegan ketchup roasted sweet potato and a kale, onion, walnut, grape tomatoes, salad dressed with lemon juice.

I'm still getting around this new Vegan lifestyle, my first day was pretty low, but as the days go on I'm getting better at getting my meals together. I'll prep a lot better this weekend. I've been way too busy with my daughter and work that I haven't been on top of it, but I have been trying.

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    alyssagb1 wrote: »

You can buy it in the store, but I also find it really easy to make. There are tons of recipes out there, I like the one by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This one I just found online is similiar to it: http://simpleveganblog.com/tempeh-bacon/ except I would skip the cumin and add a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade. I would use maple syrup instead of the agave too because I like maple in my bacon. You can't really mess it up -- don't be afraid to play with the flavors. It's great on sandwiches.

Thank you! I Will be trying this out today, the maple syrup is a great idea.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I use maple syrup, a few drops of "Liquid Smoke", and some oil. Just marinade over night if I have time. It's the best, imo.
  • NorthRiver
    NorthRiver Posts: 35 Member
    Dinner: Spicy garlic kale, spinach artichoke casserole (sauce is silken tofu, spinach, and artichokes, mixed with cooked macaroni, and then baked).

What vegan macaroni are you using? I've found that a lot of vegans or non-egg-eating vegetarians didn't know most pasta contains eggs. But I don't know any brands or products to recommend to them ...

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    NorthRiver wrote: »
    Dinner: Spicy garlic kale, spinach artichoke casserole (sauce is silken tofu, spinach, and artichokes, mixed with cooked macaroni, and then baked).

What vegan macaroni are you using? I've found that a lot of vegans or non-egg-eating vegetarians didn't know most pasta contains eggs. But I don't know any brands or products to recommend to them ...

Generally only fresh pasta contains eggs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member

I find that most packaged, dried pasta in the US does not contain eggs. As @MakePeasNotWar stated, it's usually the fresh pasta made on site in places that I have to watch out for.
  • janejellyroll

I'm in the US where the majority of dried pasta is egg-free (the only exceptions I've seen are products specifically marked "egg noodles" and a couple brands of lasagna noodles). The specific brand I had the other night was Target's house brand, Market Pantry.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    I personally would never eat 3 bananas per day or that much fruit "sugar" although fruit has fiber I still think its too much fruit. You need protein.
  • janejellyroll
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    I personally would never eat 3 bananas per day or that much fruit "sugar" although fruit has fiber I still think its too much fruit. You need protein.

OP clarified in later posts that it wasn't three bananas. She didn't have a full banana for each time banana is listed, but a part of one.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    OP- If you're still reading this post...

Please go to the following-
    https://cronometer.com/

Enter in your food there. Look at your micro nutrients, your essential fats (specifically omega 3), your amino acid profile, and make sure that you're getting a nutritionally complete diet. It goes without saying that you need to be supplementing b12 if you aren't already.

It's important with any diet but ESPECIALLY vegan for you to be getting a nutritionally complete diet. If you start having deficiencies, start feeling like crap, have hormonal problems, etc. you won't be sticking to a vegan diet for very long even if you chose a vegan diet for ethical reasons.

I personally found I had to eat some strange things here and there (like add nutritional yeast one day, add a brazil nut here and there, etc.) to make sure I was eating a nutritionally complete diet. DO NOT believe any vegans (specifically i'm talking about idiots on youtube) that you can just eat a variety of fruits and veggies and never have to worry about nutrition; this is 100% untrue.
  • janejellyroll
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    OP- If you're still reading this post...

Please go to the following-
    https://cronometer.com/

Enter in your food there. Look at your micro nutrients, your essential fats (specifically omega 3), your amino acid profile, and make sure that you're getting a nutritionally complete diet. It goes without saying that you need to be supplementing b12 if you aren't already.

It's important with any diet but ESPECIALLY vegan for you to be getting a nutritionally complete diet. If you start having deficiencies, start feeling like crap, have hormonal problems, etc. you won't be sticking to a vegan diet for very long even if you chose a vegan diet for ethical reasons.

I personally found I had to eat some strange things here and there (like add nutritional yeast one day, add a brazil nut here and there, etc.) to make sure I was eating a nutritionally complete diet. DO NOT believe any vegans (specifically i'm talking about idiots on youtube) that you can just eat a variety of fruits and veggies and never have to worry about nutrition; this is 100% untrue.

I have found Cronometer *amazingly* helpful in understanding my diet. The breakdown of fats, amino acids, and various vitamins/minerals is great and I love that it shows you which foods are helping you meet your needs. It makes it super easy to tweak your diet if you need more or less of something.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    You guys, I've gone Vegan!!! Oh man, last night prepped my meals for the next two days and boy... they're all healthy. So here's what I've had so far,

7 a.m. Green Juice
    (Coconut Milk, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber, Green apple, banana)

10 a.m Overnight Oatmeal
    (Coconut Milk, Oats, Strawberries, Banana)

1 p.m. Quinoa Chickpea Mix (Not sure what to call it lol)
    (Quinoa made with Spinach, mixed with Chickpea, onion, garlic, avocado)

4 p.m. Fruit bowl
    (1 Mango sliced, banana sliced, sliced melon, sliced strawberries, sprinkled with cinnamon)

What do you guys think? Is this a good day's worth of meals so far? Vegan approved? I haven't calorie counted any of theses meals, do you guys think I'm on track? No meat or dairy at all today. Just lost of water! I was thinking to eat a bowl of Quinoa, spinach salad, and roasted sweet potato fries. Should I swap that for just a raw Salad? Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Did all of that help meet your goals?

Do you feel physically good eating that?

Did you enjoy it all?

If the answer is yes to all three, you're good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    You guys, I've gone Vegan!!! Oh man, last night prepped my meals for the next two days and boy... they're all healthy. So here's what I've had so far,

7 a.m. Green Juice
    (Coconut Milk, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber, Green apple, banana)

10 a.m Overnight Oatmeal
    (Coconut Milk, Oats, Strawberries, Banana)

1 p.m. Quinoa Chickpea Mix (Not sure what to call it lol)
    (Quinoa made with Spinach, mixed with Chickpea, onion, garlic, avocado)

4 p.m. Fruit bowl
    (1 Mango sliced, banana sliced, sliced melon, sliced strawberries, sprinkled with cinnamon)

What do you guys think? Is this a good day's worth of meals so far? Vegan approved? I haven't calorie counted any of theses meals, do you guys think I'm on track? No meat or dairy at all today. Just lost of water! I was thinking to eat a bowl of Quinoa, spinach salad, and roasted sweet potato fries. Should I swap that for just a raw Salad? Thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Doesn't look like very much food. I'd add a salad, not swap out the fruit for a salad. And make it an awesome salad.