Portion size vs. Serving size

Options
Hi everyone!
What do you think about the difference between a serving size and a portion size when trying to lose fat/weight?

This is my first week where Im trying to log what I eat and I used a scale to measure out my lunch and dinner based on the serving size. Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    two words, one meaning
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's a difference - serving size is the amount the manufacturer or the government has set as appropriate; portion is the amount you serve yourself. It has nothing to do with weight management, though. (Unless confusion makes the practical application of weight management difficult.)

What I find great about calorie counting, is that it's up to me how much to eat of anything. All I have to do is to stick to a total daily calorie intake.
  • mlee981
    mlee981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get why it's done, totally get why it's done. But for somebody like myself who eats a vegan primarily whole foods "diet" a serving of grapes "80 grams" is honestly not what I stick to, or "one Apple is a serving" I usually have 2 apples at a time, and don't even get started on potatoes - serving 100 grams or something no, now I'll have maybe 500 grams or so.

It's the source of the calories that counts, so let's think of donuts. One donut is a serving for anybody, maybe stick to having one donut cause it's high in fat, doesn't offer much nutritional benefit but yes have a donut !!! Having processed foods is totally healthy for your mind, and shouldn't be "forbidden" because that's stupid and nobody wants to live only eating foods that are deemed healthy and not have a donut or cookie or whatever . That's not living
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    like above one is the amount suggested on the manufacturer packaging or government. Portion is whats right for you. Some people can eat 3 serving sizes and some cant eat a whole serving (speaking on ones calorie goals).
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    As the people above mentioned

A Serving Size is a proportioned meal/snack set by a guideline.
    A Portion size is how much you serve yourself, or how much some one serves you.

Some like to interchange the two, but technically they are different.

Think of it this way. There are 2.5 servings in a Bottle of Gatorade, but most people use that into one portion.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Forget them all.

Weigh everything in grams.
  • pdadhich721
    pdadhich721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So it isn't necessary to stick to the serving size in order to lose weight persay? Its really about managing the amount and type of calories I would be intaking?
  • torsab
    torsab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So it isn't necessary to stick to the serving size in order to lose weight persay? Its really about managing the amount and type of calories I would be intaking?

Correct ... it's your total day / week that matter. I use the serving size more when I'm at the grocery to see if based on the volume they say is in a serving vs. the calories / fat is going to be 'worth it' or if I need to look for another option for an ingredient / meal. At home, I use the serving size / calories information to figure out how much I want to put in my portion based on what else I've eaten or plan to eat in the day.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Correct & personally I log everything. Give you an example, from my dinner last night.

My wife and I had Alaskan Pollock and Whole Grain Mac & Cheese for dinner.

The Alaskan Pollock was 1 plank as a serving. And 1 cup of Mac for a serving.

How ever I portioned 2 Planks, and 1.5 cups of Mac.

I was still in my caloric limit for the day but had more that one suggested serving, for that meal.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Just the amount.

A serving size is an arbitrary number. One 'serving' of something might be enough for you, but it may not be enough for me.

Here in the UK everything is labeled with nutritional info per 100g. If I'm eating xxxx I'll see how many grams of xxxx fits in to my daily calorie and macronutritional needs, the size of the 'serving' doesn't come in to it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Never thought I'd complain about the serving size of vegetables, but: A serving of brussels sprouts, according to the package, is something like 85g. It's pitiful. I rarely have less than 200.

Do whatever you want. Track your calories.
  • pdadhich721
    pdadhich721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! It makes me feel better. Because one serving of tofu and brown rice has NOT been filling me up hahah
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Serving size is what the package says. Portion size is what one eats.

I eat a lot of protein. An example, the sliced turkey package says one serving is one slice, and contains 5 grams of protein. I need 40 grams of protein at lunch, so my portion size is 8 slices.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Really it's just playing word games. Regardless if you call it a "serving," or a "portion," log what you eat and stay under your calories.