What was your 'I finally need to lose this weight' moment? (And was it as bad as mine?)

Options

Replies

• mrsgoss
    mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mine was all alone in my bathroom last week when I looked down at the scale that had been ignored for months and months and months. I stepped on it and almost keeled over from crying so hard :( I could not believe I had allowed myself to get to the heaviest I had ever been...I was literally immobile from the shock of it. I have started with very tiny baby steps as I tend to expect immediate results and when I don't get them I give up. So I am going slowly and trying...All you can do is try and move forward!
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    People are such dicks sometimes.

My husband would have punched the guy in the mouth.

As for my "aha" moment...I don't know that I really had one. I just decided it was time to get healthy and feel good for me. Screw what anyone says :)
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I went to events and social gatherings. Once when I was at a party with friends..I just ate a bunch of food for a lunch cookout and feeling insecure about how I looked,I looked down at my belly cuz. Felt really full and fat and noticed I didn't feel healthy,my belly stuck out as if I looked pregnant..even though I really wasn't,and my arms looked fat and I questioned myself if that was normal or healthy. So I told myself I wish I didn't like to eat pasta or unhealthy carbs so much so i could lose weight..then the second social gathering I had at my cousins family party and before attending I was having trouble putting on a pair of jeans before even getting there,so I ended up going there with jeans that cut into my belly,I would pull them up somewhat up to my belly in order to try and hide the fat behind the jeans but when I tried to sit down my jeans cut into my belly fat so then was just about the time when I decided enough is enough..I need to do something about this...not only that but when my sisters told me my feet looked bloated and I couldnt do anything to make it go away I really knew I had to do something and fast,so now I have the flatest back in the world,no more love handles,and the bloating in my feet has completely disappeared! I have lost belly fat as well but I'm still working on the rest of it. Good news is that my clothes feel much looser on me,so I'm glad I didn't have to even drop the foods I love,not even pasta or carbs or junk at all in order to achieve this and yet I feel 10 times healthier than I have before losing weight with myfitnesspal :)
  • Somersetgal
    Somersetgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me it was a bad car accident a few years ago, sat in pain and confusion in the wreck and wondering if I would be taken away in a normal
    Ambulance or if they would have to call for a bariatric one to cart me off and panicking about how these poor emergency services people would lift this hefty carcass. That or the thought of having to have the final humiliation of an outsized coffin. It took a couple of years after this for my weight loss to begin properly once I regained full mobility but there's no looking back now
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I calculated my BMI and I was one pound into the overweight range. I was startled because I knew I was at my all-time heaviest and suddenly started seriously counting calories for the first time in my life.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I did bungee jumping in December 2014. It was fun and all but when I was brought back to the ground, the helper made this face like sticking his tongue out like he was exhausted or something coz of my weight! I don't blame him I was almost 90 kgs at 5'3" then. I was in denial before that!!! I used to walk for 40 minutes or so and then reward myself with food. that man's expression was an eye opener. So I rejoined mfp in feb 2015 and I weigh 79 kgs as of today. 20-22 kgs away from my goal weight!!
  • juliesear83
    juliesear83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    Ugh, I still hate to think of this moment. But it was at my grandfathers visitation and my great aunt comes up to me, in front of everyone, rubs my belly and asks when the baby is due. When I tell her there is no baby, she loudly protests and tells me I must be wrong. I had to basically run out of there to keep from crying in front of everybody.

I'm still mortified to think back to it. At 5'2 and 150 pounds I'm heavy, but I'd never considered myself to look pregnant. That's when I knew I had to change something.

This is horrifying. I had a similar experience at work. When I told the woman I wasn't pregnant, she just kept going, saying I must have just had a baby. It was awful.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine was being so stressed about going to a friends wedding, having to dress 'nice' and being around other people. I was so shy and self conscious before. I actually spent the months before hoping they would split up and cancel the wedding so I wouldn't have to go. Isn't that an awful, selfish thing to say?

Even though I lost 3 stone (from 18 stone) before the wedding, I was still 15 stone and the day before I still hoped I would end up getting hit by a bus or something on the journey there.

The wedding was July 2015, I've since lost another nearly 3 stone. I'm going to be meeting up with them in August, same friends I haven't seen since July. Looking forward to being skinny this time and NOT being stressed about seeing them!
  • rissa_rawrr
    rissa_rawrr Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My moment was when I went to put on my absolutely favorite dress and realized I couldn't zipper it anymore....
  • AshleighAnn72
    AshleighAnn72 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I had my third miscarriage and the doctor blamed them on my weight, then tried to take my blood pressure and the band wouldn't fit around my arm
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had that, "moment" several times over the past several years. I halfway start a "diet", but never really commit. This time is different.
    1. My partner is more on board and supportive.
    2. I realize that this is more than weight, it is seriously a health issue now.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    DH and I were on vaca visiting my parents across country. We were at the beach and of course I was wearing a shirt over (at 300+ pounds it's hard to find a bathing suit that's complimentary) and I noticed my mom in her swimsuit and she looked in her suit and panicked a bit. She eats WAY less than I do (did) and goes to her exercise classes 6 days a week and she still looked over 9 months pregnant.

But on side note we ate soooo much on that trip, I honestly felt sick coming home. I said to DH, enough, I can't do this anymore. Something has to change.
  • maryannamber
    maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I knew I had to start the journey again when I was on my ex's bike and it started to rain. We went back to his house and he had no clothes to lend me cause nothing fit. He had to take out his old 'fat clothes' (he lost weight years back before meeting me) and a belt saying it would be too lose on me. In fact it was tight and I didnt need the belt. I was mortified!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to expand out of the pants size I was in when the question popped in my head "how heavy does one become before they have trouble wiping their bottom?".
    While only down 16lbs, I'm down 2 full pants sizes and now I wonder "how much smaller should I be before starting a martial arts class?".
  • SamiHearken
    SamiHearken Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My wedding photo were my catalyst. I look bad, and kept thinking "wow Samantha, you have no ankles". I felt so happy on the day but this photos kicked me in the gut. I've told my wifband that for our 10th anniversary (9 years away ) were redoing our wedding
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scales had run out of batteries so I was living in ignorant bliss. Yet even though my clothes were getting tighter I kept on telling myself I'd only put on a few pounds. Finally, when the only jeans that would fit were some super stretchy ones I gave in and bought a new battery, stepped on the scales and then cried in shock at how heavy I'd become. I'd gone past my previous heaviest, and added another 16lb on top. I looked in the mirror and realised I was a flabby mess and my shape had gone. And that's when I began to completely overhaul my diet and fitness regime.
  • missionYCO
    missionYCO Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When several people asked me if I was pregnant, that's when I knew I had put on too much. That and most of my shirts no longer cover my entire stomach. :p