Need help with office treats...

Options
mbrown913
mbrown913 Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
How do you guys deal with treats (donuts/cookies/pizza, etc) in the office? It seems like it's always someone's birthday, someone always brings in donuts/muffins/pastries or there is always food leftover from a meeting. Sometimes you bring your own lunch but the temptation of a slice of cake, pizza, etc is too tempting when it's right in front of you in the office. How does everyone avoid the office treats?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Stay connected to your goals. Make room for a treat when it is something you really, really enjoy. Make sure your lunches are things you truly enjoy so you don't feel deprived.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat them within the confines of your calorie and macronutritional goals or practice willpower and don't eat them.

I know which option I would choose.

There is nothing inherently wrong with cake, pizza, donuts and no reason to avoid them, just practice moderation.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I log them before I eat them. If it fits, I'll enjoy a treat, but it usually doesn't. Seeing the numbers is pretty motivating to stay away from that food.

If I'm really jonesing for a cookie or a bagel, I'll tell myself I can have one in an hour. Usually the scavengers have eaten everything by the time I go back to the snack table, or my craving goes away.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Pre log your meals and stick with what you planned on eating.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Stay connected to your goals. Make room for a treat when it is something you really, really enjoy. Make sure your lunches are things you truly enjoy so you don't feel deprived.

This^

Learn to walk away from some things. Toll house cookies? .....I'm there. Wal-Mart chocolate chip cookies? ....I'll pass.

When you get to goal you will still need to manage these kinds of things. A smaller you is going to require fewer calories forever, not "diet" calories.....but still there's no going back to the usual.

Definitely this. If it isn't worth it don't waste the calories. There have been many things at my work too where I took a bite - realized it wasn't worth it and right in the trash it goes (be subtle - don't scream gross and toss in down right in front of whoever brought it).

Donut looks too good to resist? Cut it in half or 4ths. Have one slice of pizza not 3.

Our treat table is directly between my desk and the water cooler. When the treats are yummy and hard to resist - I take a different route. Do NOT walk by the treat table where I am tempted to grab and nibble.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    mbrown913 wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with treats (donuts/cookies/pizza, etc) in the office? It seems like it's always someone's birthday, someone always brings in donuts/muffins/pastries or there is always food leftover from a meeting. Sometimes you bring your own lunch but the temptation of a slice of cake, pizza, etc is too tempting when it's right in front of you in the office. How does everyone avoid the office treats?

There's no trick to it, you just keep trying until it sticks. I think we're all stories of past failures before eventually finding success. That's all you can do, try and hope your best efforts are enough. I guess the only practical advice I can give you is to remind yourself of your goal whenever temptation strikes. Maybe through some physical item such as a smaller item of clothing that looks really great that you want to fit into? Have it with you at work that you can look at whenever you feel the need perhaps. Also depending on how much weight you have to lose schedule a cheat meal every so often so you have something to look forward to (the more you have to lose the less frequent these should be/but the less you have to lose maybe they can be a fortnightly and eventually weekly thing). Might be easier to pass up office snacks if you know you've got something you really want coming up.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I REALLY want it, I'll make it fit, but only if it's something I love. Brownies and cakes from box mixes, never worth it. Pizza, bagels, if I'm in the mood. Donuts or cupcakes, from certain locals bakeries... I'M IN!

Luckily, 9 times out of 10 the treats aren't worth it and I can walk away. And I have always managed to get the few that I did decide to eat to fit in my calories by cutting back on other things and/or adding in an 30-60 walk before bed.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I dont take one. If im forced to ill take it and then take ut home and bin it. Sometimes i take it home and split it for dessert with the hubby.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you want to have one and it fits into your goals for the day then have one, if it will not fit into your goals for the day then don't have them. It is that simple.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This one is so easy in my opinion - I just don't eat anything at work I didn't bring in. Takes no will power at all, it's just not an option for me at all so I never want it anyway.
  • mbrown913
    mbrown913 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also another question, what if the office orders lunch all of the time? Most of the time it's usually pizza, or something unhealthy...Do you guys just go for the salad?(If they do order a salad?)
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We have tons of working lunch... About once a week. I order a salad. EVERYTIME. If they have protein, even better. I also pack my own snacks. I do weekly meal prep to make sure I have enough for home and the office. I'm great with walking away from them, directly to the fridge to get my pre-measured fruits, veggies, or mixed nuts. I'm in competition with no one, but I won't let others sabotage me either.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love free food so I can relate..my mom grew up poor and always encouraged us to take free stuff.

If its community food I try to think about all the different sets of hands touching the food. You know some of your co workers likely don't wash their hands. Or their keyboards. I can usually walk away. Cuz it grosses me out.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Self-control is like a muscle...the more you use it, the stronger it gets. You have to set your mind that you're not going to eat them. Eventually, at least for me, something clicks in my brain and it realizes it's not going to get the treat just because it wants it...and it (usually, I still have my moments) becomes much less of a temptation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Also another question, what if the office orders lunch all of the time? Most of the time it's usually pizza, or something unhealthy...Do you guys just go for the salad?(If they do order a salad?)

bring in your own lunch ..

we have office lunch - i am an owner- I dont require that all of my employees gorge themselves...
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to make a hard rule that I do not eat free food given away at the office. It's easier for me to just not eat it at all than to try to fit it in to my calorie allotment and have to think about the temptation to keep eating every day. I tell myself that if I really, really want that cookie, brownie, etc. then I can wait and go buy one (ONE!) later and fit it in my calories.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

My office orders in occasionally, and I always know what day that will be. It's usually pizza, sandwiches, or BBQ, all of which I can make work in my calorie goals. I pre-log what I intend to eat and stick to that. If your office is ordering in lunch a LOT, don't feel bad about bringing your own lunch and passing on the pizza. (We get salad with our pizza, but it's terrible... So no, I don't go for the salad.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

"All the time" - Is this 5 days a week?

I have a co-worker that eats out every single day. I don't feel obliged to order out (with her) because I bring my lunch. Besides, I wouldn't want a side salad 5 days a week. My lunches are more varied than that.

If this is once in awhile, then I partake (minimally). Something like this - 2 pizza choices - thin crust, 1 meat & veggies OR pan pizza, meat lovers......along with a salad. I choose 1 slice of thin crust, least meat (most veggies) and then I eat salad. Then I log that. It probably fits reasonably well for the day.

When you start logging pizza and it impacts the calories you have left for the day......you can let your co-workers dictate your progress or you can bring your own lunches (at least sometimes).