21 day fix

Options
tawnya30
tawnya30 Posts: 2 Member
Ok so here is my story I work in office, work out and Iam busy outside. I have completed two rounds of 21 day fix and lost a grand total of 1pound. There are days my caloric intake is 1100 to 1300. Any suggestions?
I feel great have toned but no weight loss I would like to lose 20 to 30 pounds.

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How do you know those are your daily caloric intake? From what I understand you just put the food in the containers for the 21 day fix and you're good right? As long as it fits it's fine? That's all well and good, but to me it seems like a very easy way to underestimate the calories in things like rice and quinoa, which can be pretty calorie dense for small servings. If you aren't weighing your food on a food scale but just going by the containers I'd try switching to weighing and see how that goes for you.

Also just another note, weight lost isn't everything, if you feel better and feel like you look better than that's fantastic. Start keeping track of inches as well, it's a more accurate way to measure progress anyways, weight can fluctuate so much.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    are you just using the little containers to measure? Considering you've been doing this for a while. I think it's possible that the containers are not as accurate as you'd think. Maybe start trying to measure items out with a scale? I know it's a pain, but I think it really helps with seeing how much you are eating. I use the TARE function to help make it easier, like I put my tupperware or plate on the scale, hit tare and then put my food on it. That way I get an accurate read out without extra math. For thinks like pb&j. I'll put the bread on the scale, hit tare and then spread on the ingredient. One serving of PB is way smaller than I thought it was. This might help tighten up your logging and might help move the scale. Best of luck!
  • tawnya30
    tawnya30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have actually really restricted my diet to raw veggies chicken and farm raised beef. No breads or pototes. I use the myfitnesspal app to figure out the calories.
    The reason I so frustrated is that last fall (2015) I completed one round and lost 7 lbs and life got in the way so I off the program for 4 months. Started up more determined and I am seeing marginal results. Yes I happy I am stronger and have more stamina but summer here and my clothes are just comfortable. I guess I just go shopping lol. I was just see if there was anything else I was missing. Thanks for the scale idea.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I completely feel your pain on this one! I'm wrapping up week 3 this week and so far ZERO pounds lost. I started several months ago scaling back on calories and trying to be better about portion control while doing the videos, when that did not help, I began using the containers and the dvds. I have also been running so there are days I'm getting in 2 workouts. While I agee weight may not be everything, when you have weight to lose it is a pretty big deal. I'm committed to staying on track but find it really disheartening that I have not lost a single pound.
  • NiecyBTL
    NiecyBTL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey all, are you following the 21 day fix meal plan along with the containers? Also how many ounces of water are you drinking/day?

While calories are important to note, saturated fat, simple carbs, sugars and sodium (ie processed foods) are silent evils and can pack on the pounds as well as prevent reducing them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    NiecyBTL wrote: »
    Hey all, are you following the 21 day fix meal plan along with the containers? Also how many ounces of water are you drinking/day?

While calories are important to note, saturated fat, simple carbs, sugars and sodium (ie processed foods) are silent evils and can pack on the pounds as well as prevent reducing them.

Actually, that's just not true. While most people do tend to eat a diet of simply carbs, with high sugar and sodium content, they are not evil and they do not pack on the pounds. Eating too many calories period is what packs on the pounds. You could manage that eating lean meats, fruits, vegetables and complex carbs. People should aim to eat those things because they provide the most bang for their buck when it comes to macros and micros while being filling. Sugar and sodium alone are not going to magically cause someone to gain weight if that person is in a calorie deficit.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    leasah wrote: »
    I completely feel your pain on this one! I'm wrapping up week 3 this week and so far ZERO pounds lost. I started several months ago scaling back on calories and trying to be better about portion control while doing the videos, when that did not help, I began using the containers and the dvds. I have also been running so there are days I'm getting in 2 workouts. While I agee weight may not be everything, when you have weight to lose it is a pretty big deal. I'm committed to staying on track but find it really disheartening that I have not lost a single pound.

@leasah It sounds like you should consider weighing your food rather than relying on the containers. The containers are a good starting point for many people to get a better visual on what a portion size is. Unfortunately for women who are either short or who are near menopause the containers can still provide too many calories. It's something you might want to think about over the next week or so. Maybe weigh food in addition to using the containers.
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have done the 21 day-fix and 21-day fix extreme and I love these programs. I lost weight on both, but did not follow the diet plans exactly, I just restricted the bad carbs and replaced them with complex ones. As well as watching my portions. Don't give up or get discouraged-muscle weighs more that fat, so make sure you measure yourself before and after a 21-day round. You may be surprised. :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's 1100 - 1300 calories. Not just the method of measurement (even if that were accurate).

1 cup of pineapple = 86 calories / 1 cup of strawberries = 55 calories. Not all fruit, veggies, etc have the same calorie counts for the same serving size.
  • TeaBea
    edited June 2016
    Options
    susi819 wrote: »
    I have done the 21 day-fix and 21-day fix extreme and I love these programs. I lost weight on both, but did not follow the diet plans exactly, I just restricted the bad carbs and replaced them with complex ones. As well as watching my portions. Don't give up or get discouraged-muscle weighs more that fat, so make sure you measure yourself before and after a 21-day round. You may be surprised. :smile:

OP - is not putting on pounds of muscle (if she is eating 1100 - 1300 calories). 21 Day Fix workouts are not progressive lifting. Calorie surplus & progressive lifting is how to (most efficiently) put on lean muscle. Even then it's a slow process.

"Bad" carbs? See @usmcmp 's post below,
    usmcmp wrote: »

Actually, that's just not true. While most people do tend to eat a diet of simply carbs, with high sugar and sodium content, they are not evil and they do not pack on the pounds. Eating too many calories period is what packs on the pounds. You could manage that eating lean meats, fruits, vegetables and complex carbs. People should aim to eat those things because they provide the most bang for their buck when it comes to macros and micros while being filling. Sugar and sodium alone are not going to magically cause someone to gain weight if that person is in a calorie deficit.

• susi819
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

OP - is not putting on pounds of muscle (if she is eating 1100 - 1300 calories). 21 Day Fix workouts are not progressive lifting. Calorie surplus & progressive lifting is how to (most efficiently) put on lean muscle. Even then it's a slow process.

Yes, bad carbs: cake, sugary treats, bread.
  • susi819
    Options
    Bad carbs are not the enemy, it's the amount and the frequency consumed that is the problem.
  • TeaBea
    Options

You do know that people can lose weight and still eat cake, sugary treats, & bread.

My goal is weight loss AND maintenance of that lower weight. Because I assume I will be eating bread at some point in my lifetime (it's prudent for me at least) ....to figure out portion sizes for that as well. It's lifestyle changes for me. Temporary changes (in the past) resulted in temporary weight loss for me.
  • susi819
    Options

You do know that people can lose weight and still eat cake, sugary treats, & bread.

My goal is weight loss AND maintenance of that lower weight. Because I assume I will be eating bread at some point in my lifetime (it's prudent for me at least) ....to figure out portion sizes for that as well. It's lifestyle changes for me. Temporary changes (in the past) resulted in temporary weight loss for me.

Yes, I am fully aware. I have lost 76 lbs and I have had cake, sugary treats, and bread. Hence my comment below:
    Bad carbs are not the enemy, it's the amount and the frequency consumed that is the problem.
  • alicecat2
    alicecat2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In my experience, any trendy diet (whole30, 21 day fix, beach body) doesn't really work unless you are eating at a calorie deficit. You think you can keep the weight off by eating only chicken, fruit and veggies, but if you're eating 16 oz of chicken and 5 cups fruit a day, you could easily be taking in a lot more than you burn. There is no magic food that you can eat unlimited amounts of and still lose weight and you're not going to portion everything into little cups for the rest of your life. CICO is the only sustainable way.
  • usmcmp
    Options

They're a problem when consumed at a rate that makes you exceed the amount of calories your body needs over a long period of time. Many find that cutting back on them and increasing other things helps keep them fuller for longer. It would be possible to eat 100% of your calories in cake or bread and still lose weight, so it's really not about frequency it's about overall calorie consumption. The person who bumped this thread is seeing that issue despite following the 21 day fix guide simply because she's eating more calories than her body needs no matter what the calories are comprised of.