This might sound stupid but here we go..

Options
elysium11b
elysium11b Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I got a UA Band from doing a military wellness research survey thing. I've been really wanting to get back in shape that I was when I was in the military. I've been out a little over 4 years now and I put on a little over 40 pounds simply from not working out and stuffing my face.

I was 160, 5'7" in the Army. When I started this journey literally last week (15th of this month), I started at the weight of 202. A week later, on a less than 1600 calorie diet, zero exercise (doing office work from home that requires CONSTANT vigilance and a full semester of school, I can't make the time to do it), I now weigh 193 as of this morning.

Is that healthy? It doesn't really feel like it's healthy, because that's a drastic drop (8 pounds) in a week. Am I thinking right or am I completely wrong in that assessment? I am logging and tracking my foods, but I'm a little worried that I might put my body into shock.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your calorie goal of 1,600?
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Typically people will see a sharp drop in weight when they begin eating less. This is just water weight and it is totally normal to see a sharp drop right away. You aren't losing that much fat off of your body that quickly so you don't have to worry too much. Your weight will stabilize soon and you will lose at a (much) slower rate
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of weight in a week, and not easy to maintain. I love to see huge losses when I start, but start looking at a more realistic weekly goal of 1 to 2 lbs each week for long term success. When I started at 217 the weight came off quickly, around 10 lbs a month. I've had to add exercise and do so by walking everyday 10,000 step which is approximately 5 miles, and I join daily/weekly/and weekend challenges on fitbit to remind me to MOVE. Make sure you are getting in enough calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. You may have to work harder later on in order to continue to lose. Best of luck to you. I'm currently down almost 40 lbs and am still looking for another 30.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Water weight, most likely. It hasn't been long by the sounds of things. If this 8 lb drop is happening in another week or month, re-assess your daily calorie deficit.
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would check the beach body sore to see how many calories they suggest you eat to maintain and lose weight. You could be in a serious calorie deficit depending on how many calories they suggest per day
  • elysium11b
    Options

I have it set on the app (and website) for 1600 calories.
    Typically people will see a sharp drop in weight when they begin eating less. This is just water weight and it is totally normal to see a sharp drop right away. You aren't losing that much fat off of your body that quickly so you don't have to worry too much. Your weight will stabilize soon and you will lose at a (much) slower rate

Well, water weight I can understand, but I'm not eating that much in sodium to hold that amount of water, plus staying hydrated means going to use the facilities frequently throughout the day. I try to stay away from processed foods, loads of preservatives like salts. But I normally ate like 2200+ calories a day, so wouldn't the body start eating at the stored fat?

akf2000 wrote: »
    I did the same thing, 1600, lost 24lbs in 7 weeks, I had an 8lb in the first week as well but I also gave up alcohol and all the rubbish I was eating. I don't talk about the rapid loss on here because I know someone will tell me off.

Yeah, I had a drink like a week ago on date night with the girlfriend, but I didn't really think much of it. I was thinking the same thing about getting ripped on for fast weight loss, I mean I know it's not healthy, but I was simply curious, lol.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My guess? you're fine. and you won't see a drop like that again, unless you gain a bunch of weight again and have to start over. If you lose eight pounds in the second week, too, that would worry me.
  • elysium11b
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    That's a lot of weight in a week, and not easy to maintain. I love to see huge losses when I start, but start looking at a more realistic weekly goal of 1 to 2 lbs each week for long term success. When I started at 217 the weight came off quickly, around 10 lbs a month. I've had to add exercise and do so by walking everyday 10,000 step which is approximately 5 miles, and I join daily/weekly/and weekend challenges on fitbit to remind me to MOVE. Make sure you are getting in enough calories so your body doesn't go into starvation mode. You may have to work harder later on in order to continue to lose. Best of luck to you. I'm currently down almost 40 lbs and am still looking for another 30.

Yeah, that's what my current goal is, 2 pounds a week. I would think it'll be difficult but doable if I watch what I eat. I've been going to sleep a couple days hungry, but that's because it was 3-4 hours after I ate last.

Fursian wrote: »
    Water weight, most likely. It hasn't been long by the sounds of things. If this 8 lb drop is happening in another week or month, re-assess your daily calorie deficit.

Yeah it's literally been a week, so I was simply curious.

Pittgirl3 wrote: »
    I would check the beach body sore to see how many calories they suggest you eat to maintain and lose weight. You could be in a serious calorie deficit depending on how many calories they suggest per day

Well I chose this amount of calories because I'm pretty much just sitting on my *kitten* all day, so any more I feel would be just adding unnecessary calories since I'm unable to burn the excess. That, and MFP suggested 1610 calories since I'm sitting down all day.

My guess? you're fine. and you won't see a drop like that again, unless you gain a bunch of weight again and have to start over. If you lose eight pounds in the second week, too, that would worry me.

And that's what I'm worried about too, which is why I asked. I'd hate to drop so much weight in a short period of time and then go into shock.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    elysium11b wrote: »

I have it set on the app (and website) for 1600 calories.

Well, water weight I can understand, but I'm not eating that much in sodium to hold that amount of water, plus staying hydrated means going to use the facilities frequently throughout the day. I try to stay away from processed foods, loads of preservatives like salts. But I normally ate like 2200+ calories a day, so wouldn't the body start eating at the stored fat?

akf2000 wrote: »
    I did the same thing, 1600, lost 24lbs in 7 weeks, I had an 8lb in the first week as well but I also gave up alcohol and all the rubbish I was eating. I don't talk about the rapid loss on here because I know someone will tell me off.

Yeah, I had a drink like a week ago on date night with the girlfriend, but I didn't really think much of it. I was thinking the same thing about getting ripped on for fast weight loss, I mean I know it's not healthy, but I was simply curious, lol.

If that's the goal suggested by MFP, my guess is that a lot of what you dropped this week was water and you will level out and lose more reasonable amounts soon.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what my current goal is, 2 pounds a week. I would think it'll be difficult but doable if I watch what I eat. I've been going to sleep a couple days hungry, but that's because it was 3-4 hours after I ate last.

Well I chose this amount of calories because I'm pretty much just sitting on my *kitten* all day, so any more I feel would be just adding unnecessary calories since I'm unable to burn the excess. That, and MFP suggested 1610 calories since I'm sitting down all day.

And that's what I'm worried about too, which is why I asked. I'd hate to drop so much weight in a short period of time and then go into shock.

MFP suggested 1610? Did you input that you wanted a 2 lb (or even 1.5 lb) per week loss? It'll probably be fine for now, but I'd think you'd probably want to go with a 1 lb per week loss before too long.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    First week or two fine to have big losses, if it continues then you'll want to up your calories. Totally normal in the beginning though to have big numbers like that.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone else mention this, so I apologize if it's repetitive, but sodium is not the only thing that causes water retention, too. I see it when I go hog wild on carbs more than sodium.

But just another echo, it's week one. The first couple of weeks, there is usually a big woosh. Just be happy for the nice big kick start and keep in mind it will slow down!
  • elysium11b
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

MFP suggested 1610? Did you input that you wanted a 2 lb (or even 1.5 lb) per week loss? It'll probably be fine for now, but I'd think you'd probably want to go with a 1 lb per week loss before too long.

Yep, I have it set at 2lb a week. How long would you recommend waiting before putting it at 1lb? After the second complete week?
    First week or two fine to have big losses, if it continues then you'll want to up your calories. Totally normal in the beginning though to have big numbers like that.

Thanks, cause I honestly wasn't sure. I'd rather be safe and ask than sorry and not.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, so I apologize if it's repetitive, but sodium is not the only thing that causes water retention, too. I see it when I go hog wild on carbs more than sodium.

But just another echo, it's week one. The first couple of weeks, there is usually a big woosh. Just be happy for the nice big kick start and keep in mind it will slow down!

I normally don't eat many carbs, but when I do it's usually a lot of pasta or bread. I've always known for salt to flush out your electrolytes when you sweat (which is why we always replenished our systems with more salt and drank loads of water in the military) but I guess that's not always correct, haha.