It's too hot to walk!

Options
2»

Replies

• vangoghdelaney
    vangoghdelaney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    I don't have answers, just wanted to say that I am in the UK and am finding it too hot to get on my treadmill (nowhere near as hot as over there), lol :/

Summer has posed more of a problem for my exercise than the winter did, but if I cannot bring myself to exercise during the summer, I just have to eat less. This is the choice I'm presented with, a choice made easier with a food scale and a food diary.

I loved walking in the winter! I really loved the cold and that's when I walk and jog the most.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great workout videos on YouTube. You should be able to find something to fit your needs and fitness level.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I know how you feel. I'm in Texas and it is very hot here. I've been waiting until around 8 to walk (but it is still often in the high 90's). I don't really think not going because of the heat is "just and excuse". It can be dangerous. I've known a few people who have suffered from heat stroke and it really is serious. I think going to a mall is a good idea if there is one near you. We don't have a mall where I live, but I have considered walking at my church. They have a large family center where I could go. I haven't yet because I walk at a park and I really enjoy it, plus I take my dogs and I don't think I could take them to the church. I may have to check out the videos. I've never don't a walking video, but I do yoga videos 3 times a week. I really enjoy it. And @auddii is correct. You don't have to work out to lose weight.

I have been losing weight without exercise, but I do this for my anxiety and depression, so I think exercise is good just for your mental heath! Yeah, no mall here or any kind of exercise thing except the gym and a public swimming pool. I might try some videos! I used to do hip hop workouts on YouTube.

It is hard for me when I miss my walks. I do it as much for the stress release as anything. It has been harder since it is warming up because I used to go in the afternoon and now it is just too hot. Not just for me, but for my dogs. I guess we are in similar situations. My town has about 5000 people so no mall. I think people who don't live where it gets really hot don't understand that it can be dangerous to exercise outside when it is that hot and not everyone lives where they have access to malls and 24 hour gyms.

Exactly! And not everyone can afford the gym AND to eat clean.

There is no reason to eat "clean" either. Personally, I'd focus on the gym if I had similar limitations with money. But, I would also focus on more inexpensive, whole food options (dried beans, rice, whole chicken, frozen vegetables for use in casserole dishes, local fresh produce at farmer's markets, etc). Even when I use boneless skinless chicken breast, I can make some pretty inexpensive meals.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm in Texas and it is very hot here. I've been waiting until around 8 to walk (but it is still often in the high 90's). I don't really think not going because of the heat is "just and excuse". It can be dangerous. I've known a few people who have suffered from heat stroke and it really is serious. I think going to a mall is a good idea if there is one near you. We don't have a mall where I live, but I have considered walking at my church. They have a large family center where I could go. I haven't yet because I walk at a park and I really enjoy it, plus I take my dogs and I don't think I could take them to the church. I may have to check out the videos. I've never don't a walking video, but I do yoga videos 3 times a week. I really enjoy it. And @auddii is correct. You don't have to work out to lose weight.

I have been losing weight without exercise, but I do this for my anxiety and depression, so I think exercise is good just for your mental heath! Yeah, no mall here or any kind of exercise thing except the gym and a public swimming pool. I might try some videos! I used to do hip hop workouts on YouTube.

I'm with you, all outdoor exercise is on hold until the heat breaks a bit. YouTube videos all the way. Do you have stairs in your house? Going up and down those until you reach a set number of steps can be a decent workout. There's a public pool? You can get great workouts in that are more dance-like if you don't like swimming laps.
  • eburns55555
    eburns55555 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Walk in place in front of a Youtube video...I like to do that when watching a concert of a band I really like. If it's a band that plays a faster tempo, the live music really gets the blood moving while walking in place, and you can do that in your home.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would set up a "track" in your home. I sometimes walk in my basement. I do laps around the staircase. It's only 25 steps a lap but I have walked thousands of steps that way. Boring but I watch TV or listen to music. A step counter helps motivate me to do it.

I hate heat and humidity but not going to complain. It never gets that hot here. I hope it cools off for you. Crazy numbers on the weather map.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You need to get out and start walking before sunrise. It should be cool enough then. It won't be comfortable but with some water and removing the sun as extra heat it will be bearable if you're serious about walking in the summer.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking videos on youtube. I've done the 5 mile on and like it. The lowest i think she has is 1 mile.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pool? My understanding is that everyone in AZ has a pool or access to one :) Anyway, if you don't swim, pool running is an excellent exercise and it would cool you off as well!
  • FindingLiz016
    FindingLiz016 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I live in Florida!!! I usually get my walking done early in the morning or late in the afternoon. I even walk with an umberalla and a bottle of water. I also jump on YouTube a lot they have great workout videos. I also went to Walmart and brought an exercise ball,jump rope,weights and other workout equipment and just do my own thing!!!
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Walk around the house or do jumping jacks.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Tons of free walking (and other) workouts on youtube. You can do these from the comfort of your home.
  • SacredCoffee
    SacredCoffee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I live in Arizona and it is HOT! I thought me saying that it's way too hot to walk was an excuse, but I walked down the street and almost died!! It's 120 degrees (yes, you read that right) and walking was my main source of exercise! My gym costs too much and I can't get there every week, so what should I do for exercise that I can do either in the shade or inside my home? Any ideas? I've been doing extremely well with clean eating and have been losing a lot of weight only doing that, but I feel I need to work out at least three times a week!

I'm also in Arizona (Mesa to be exact)! I'm already sick of this heat!! I walk my dog at 5:30 in the morning and it's still freakin' hot. We invested in a treadmill earlier in the year, it's been a life saver for my running passion!
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I live in a town with about 7,000 people and no mall or anywhere that's really big. My friend is gonna bring over her Zumba for me to use Friday. I do have Amazon Prime though, I didn't know that they had exercise videos.
    Oh, and I totally meant three times a week.

LOVE LOVE LOVE ZUMBA. There's actually tons and tons of zumba workouts of varying levels on YouTube. I used to to do it every day (and still should be doing, actually...).
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Put on some music and have dance party. Even if it's a party of one..it's more fun than walking in place. IMHO.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    F-that! I live in the UP of Michigan and I'm dying when it hits the 80s! Then I'm out for walks at night when it cools off into the 40s-60s. Is advise the same but I assume it never gets much cooler.

My sincerest condolences!
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    check youtube lots of great stuff over there