Is anyone doing 5:2 or diabetic blood sugar diet

Options
Just wondering if anyone is doing these diets & what results youve had. At 41 & suffering a heart attack 21 weeks ago I need to get my health in check & I'm wanting to get off my insulin & wondered if anyone has achieved this

Replies

• akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm not endorsing it (I haven't taken the time to research it) but the doctor who popularised the 5:2 diet has a new book on this very subject. It's been getting a lot of press recently:

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
  • jopat11111
    jopat11111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying, I've got both books & have researched it, but was wondering what results real people ( not people in the book ) have got.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've got type 2 and since losing 35lbs through CICO I've halved my metformin dosage. I changed my macros to 30% Carb/ 35% Fat/ 35% Protein, so it's not technically Low Carb but it seems to have helped. My blood sugar is much more stable now, probably a combination of less belly fat and less carbs.

I'm quite happy with CICO but that 5:2 blood sugar diet does look tempting.

Hope someone with first-hand knowledge comes into this thread.
  • jopat11111
    Options
    I'm sorry but what is CICO?? Well done on your weight loss & the lower dosage of metformin, that's fantastic. That's my motivation at the minute to come off insulin & to be put on metformin, having just started on the 5:2 I have seen great results with my blood sugars & the fasting days (800 kcals, I won't go lower then that) aren't that hard.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    5:2 is calorie zig-zagging. This is not a new concept but Dr. Mosely is famous for promoting it. If this method of zig-zagging your calories keeps you on track, and helps you lose weight....great.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

I read the book. ALL the "so-called" evidence in the book is anecdotal. My tests were x,y, & z before, and then x,y, & z after......this is not proof. Proof is the study of large control groups. Did Dr Mosely start exercise, did Dr Mosely eat a Mediterranean diet, what are Dr Mosely's genetic markers.....way too many variables to say (based on his blood work) zig-zagging your calories = health benefits a, b, & c.

Blood sugar diet.....I don't know. But if his proof for this diet is similar to 5:2, then forget it.

CICO = calories in vs. calories out. ANY method of weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit.
  • jopat11111
    Options
    The research I've done on the blood sugar diet comes from Newcastle University where the study is being done for Diabetics uk on reducing insulin with this diet & it's seems to be working looking at the results, but like I said earlier I was hoping to hear off people currently doing it.
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic but I have tried 5:2 and it is challenging at best..... look at Intermittent fasting with a daily schedule of 14:10 or 16:8. It has the same effect and is easier to follow. research them all before trying and hopefully someone can chime in with experience.
  • jopat11111
    Options
    Thank you for the community link TeaBee