Cooking separate meals...

Options
So my partner is an MMA fighter and needs certain things in his diet and most nights requires me cooking something different... When I cook I almost find myself sticking a spoon in my mouth or spare scraps of food, what's even worse is that he likes candy and chocolate and keeps it in the house. I NEED HELP!!!

Any tips for not dipping into my cooking and his candy stash?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How different? I cook the main dish the same for me and my kids, but I add or subtract things depending on my needs or their wants.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why so different? You just need smaller portions, no?
  • ManateToMermaid
    ManateToMermaid Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How different? I cook the main dish the same for me and my kids, but I add or subtract things depending on my needs or their wants.

Good idea. I think I was blind sighted from mainly starting to eat healthily myself and controlling my portions and calories and having to do his too, it would make life a lot easier to just cook roughly the same but add and remove certain things
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Good idea. I think I was blind sighted from mainly starting to eat healthily myself and controlling my portions and calories and having to do his too, it would make life a lot easier to just cook roughly the same but add and remove certain things

Why do you have to do his too? Is he not an adult?
  • ManateToMermaid
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    It may have been sarcastic but its true..you have to learn to deal with it..my husband keeps a stash of candy at all times. It helps to think of it as his and not mine. I dont take it cause it isnt mine . If you learn to control yourself at home then going out to resturants and other social occasions will be easier down the road.

Oh I know it's true, I'm just trying to break myself of habits I guess I've had for a long time as before I didn't even realize I was doing them, I dread eating out... I will be avoiding it until I've learnt self control
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Here is what I do for myself and kids:

Monday: Spaghetti with meatballs. Kids have pasta and if I have carbs left I have pasta. I eat extra meatballs and have a salad with it.
    Tuesday: Tacos. Kids have large tortillas and I have special ones. I add lettuce to mine and if I have fats left I have some cheese.
    Wednesday: Chicken and broccoli. Everyone has grilled chicken and broccoli. My serving is larger than theirs. Sometimes we add rice or pasta depending on if I have carbs left for the day.

It's a matter of portion sizes and adding or subtracting. We eat the same things and I'm not cooking two meals.
  • ManateToMermaid
    Options

Monday: Spaghetti with meatballs. Kids have pasta and if I have carbs left I have pasta. I eat extra meatballs and have a salad with it.
    Tuesday: Tacos. Kids have large tortillas and I have special ones. I add lettuce to mine and if I have fats left I have some cheese.
    Wednesday: Chicken and broccoli. Everyone has grilled chicken and broccoli. My serving is larger than theirs. Sometimes we add rice or pasta depending on if I have carbs left for the day.

It's a matter of portion sizes and adding or subtracting. We eat the same things and I'm not cooking two meals.

You've got a good thing going, I think also if I do myself and him a meal plan sheet for the week it will probably help me too
  • usmcmp
    Options

You've got a good thing going, I think also if I do myself and him a meal plan sheet for the week it will probably help me too

I've planned ours out in advance. Makes grocery shopping easier and I don't wonder what we are having for dinner. I also can enter my food into my diary the day before and just leave 200 calories for something unexpected. Makes staying on track easier.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i like to have "diet" alternatives, halo top ice cream is my fave! i also keep fruit around to eat instead of candy. something that also might help you when you're tempted to snack on sweets is to just wait. i usually tell myself "i can put this off for 10 minutes" and then when 10 minutes rolls around, i either dont want it anymore or i can go for another 10. usually 2 is enough to get my mind off it. or try chugging a glass of water first!

as for cooking dinner, ive got a couple other ideas. everyone has good suggestions about how to cook the same thing for both of you, but if that doesnt work, try having a healthy snack first before you start cooking. i always try to eat something before i go to the grocery store so im not tempted to buy oreos etc, so it could probably work similar for cooking? the water trick could also work here too, if you fill your belly up with water you might be less tempted. also, if you and him really need to have different food, maybe he should cook his own? or just make him bland and boring food lol. pb sandwiches every day will get him in the kitchen quick ;) they're cheap too

good luck friend!
  • ManateToMermaid
    Options
    i like to have "diet" alternatives, halo top ice cream is my fave! i also keep fruit around to eat instead of candy. something that also might help you when you're tempted to snack on sweets is to just wait. i usually tell myself "i can put this off for 10 minutes" and then when 10 minutes rolls around, i either dont want it anymore or i can go for another 10. usually 2 is enough to get my mind off it. or try chugging a glass of water first!

as for cooking dinner, ive got a couple other ideas. everyone has good suggestions about how to cook the same thing for both of you, but if that doesnt work, try having a healthy snack first before you start cooking. i always try to eat something before i go to the grocery store so im not tempted to buy oreos etc, so it could probably work similar for cooking? the water trick could also work here too, if you fill your belly up with water you might be less tempted. also, if you and him really need to have different food, maybe he should cook his own? or just make him bland and boring food lol. pb sandwiches every day will get him in the kitchen quick ;) they're cheap too

good luck friend!

Snack before cooking is a great idea, I do it before the grocery store but hadn't thought of it for before I cook! I've been doing the water thing a lot lately, I heard if the water is really cold then it will help you burn more calories
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So I'm reading a lot of advice for portion control. While eating a small plate of the same thing may work, it isnt ideal. I've tried it and it's left me feeling hungry. I have 3 kids and they don't always eat what I do,but are slowly branching out. So j made a new rule that I only cook one dinner a day. If I'm making theirs, I rely on a healthy freezer one for me or have premade salad ready to go. If I cook for me I do reversed freezer meal for kids. It reduces the stress so much! Also menu planning is the only way I have logistically become successful at this!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    self control?
    I never knew sarcasm was a tip...

not really being sarcastic...you make a choice...you eat the candy or you don't...you dip into your cooking or you don't...it's that simple. My wife and I eat the same things...she eats smaller portions and I eat larger portions because that's what we require.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    self control?

not really being sarcastic...you make a choice...you eat the candy or you don't...you dip into your cooking or you don't...it's that simple. My wife and I eat the same things...she eats smaller portions and I eat larger portions because that's what we require.

no offense but i think it was pretty obvious that op was asking for tips on how to make the choice easier. not everyone has the energy and focus to be able to make strong decisions all day, and most people are not able to do it consistently in the evenings especially. good habit-forming is about making it as easy as possible to stick to your plan, not rely solely on willpower at all times. self control is a skill that takes effort to use and will eventually run out by the day, week, or longer. im glad that you and your wife are able to make it through most days without hitting decision fatigue, but i dont think that's what op was asking for.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the same protein for both of us and then the veg can be quite different for example if I do pork chops I'll do roasted butternut squash or salad and a jacked potato for me, mashed potatoes and beans for him. Pasta is usually the same but a much larger portion for him with cheese (none for me but I'm one of those weird people that isn't too keen on cheese). I don't mind cooking/preparing a few different things but two completely different meals goes a little too far.

He needs about twice the amount of calories than me as he has a very active job and he isnt trying to lose weight so the reality is there is always some sort snack food in the house but we have his and hers snacks so to speak. What I buy specifically for him I see as not for me and I find it quite easy not to eat those snacks. If he wants what I have bought with me in mind, that is fine too, if it's gone it's gone.

As for bites when cooking it's sort of unavoidable really, how else are you going to know if things are seasoned properly? Just add a few extra bites(grams) to the diary to account for it if you want, but if you are losing with not logging them then what is the problem?
  • ManateToMermaid
    Options
    self control?

no offense but i think it was pretty obvious that op was asking for tips on how to make the choice easier. not everyone has the energy and focus to be able to make strong decisions all day, and most people are not able to do it consistently in the evenings especially. good habit-forming is about making it as easy as possible to stick to your plan, not rely solely on willpower at all times. self control is a skill that takes effort to use and will eventually run out by the day, week, or longer. im glad that you and your wife are able to make it through most days without hitting decision fatigue, but i dont think that's what op was asking for.

Right, I have a 4 month old demanding little boy and my brain function isn't always what it should be and its nice to know how others battle these things or the ways they have adapted
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    self control?

reality is reality whether you or the OP like it or not...you either do or do not...the end. Of course, you also have to be able to cut yourself some slack because the other part of reality is that you're not going to be perfect...
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband keeps his chocolates and lollies in a drawer in his desk rather than in the pantry. I know they are there but I don't eat them or even want them because I don't see them and don't associate them as fair game.

I find that logging every bite I have while preparing foods stops me from tasting food whilst cooking/preparing because I'm too lazy to want to have to log things and don't want to go over my calories for a few mouthfuls of mac and cheese.