• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Coffee.
    Anything else is just marketing.

Says the countless studies showing how certain amino acids taken at specific dosages can improve physical performance. Does your statement include creatine? Obviously they aren't anything magical. But several supplements can without a doubt give you that extra couple percent that you need to break a PR or recover just that much faster

Creatine can help some some serious lifters get that extra rep but for most people at least on this site, it wouldn't be noticeable at the stage they are currently at in lifting. Personally I think more people like the visual side effect of creatine more than it actually does for them in the gym. With the general experience level here a form correction is needed way before supplements.

If someone wants to use pre, I can care less...its not going to help more than a cup of coffee IMHO. If it helps them even if its a placebo effect, cool. Put the work in, eat, sleep and you will be rewarded if you take pre, creatin, coffee, banana or nothing.

Much the same to protein powders, very little people really need it. Though its one of the first thing they want to buy to "build" muscle when they start.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Coffee.

Says the countless studies showing how certain amino acids taken at specific dosages can improve physical performance. Does your statement include creatine? Obviously they aren't anything magical. But several supplements can without a doubt give you that extra couple percent that you need to break a PR or recover just that much faster

Creatine can help some some serious lifters get that extra rep but for most people at least on this site, it wouldn't be noticeable at the stage they are currently at in lifting. Personally I think more people like the visual side effect of creatine more than it actually does for them in the gym. With the general experience level here a form correction is needed way before supplements.

If someone wants to use pre, I can care less...its not going to help more than a cup of coffee IMHO. If it helps them even if its a placebo effect, cool. Put the work in, eat, sleep and you will be rewarded if you take pre, creatin, coffee, banana or nothing.

Much the same to protein powders, very little people really need it. Though its one of the first thing they want to buy to "build" muscle when they start.

and most of those wanting to "build muscle" are probably eating 1200 calories a day ...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Coffee.

citations?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Coffee.

and most of those wanting to "build muscle" are probably eating 1200 calories a day ...

Exactly.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Personally I use Pre and Post Jym by Jim Stoppani.

Pre contains (amongst others)
    Citrulline Malate 6g
    Creatine Hydrochloride 2g
    Beta-Alanine 2g
    Betaine 1.5g
    Taurine 1g

Post contains
    Creatine Hydrochloride 2g (4g total)
    Beta-Alanine 2g (4g total)
    L-Carnitine L-Tartate 2g
    Betaine 1.5g (3g total)
    Taurine 1g (2g total)

Potent stuff and I genuinely believe it's having a positive effect.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Pre-workout:
    Caffeine
    Creatine
    Taurine
    Beta-Alanine
    Citrulline Malate
    Agmatine Sulfate (because I got it free)

Intra-workout:
    BCAAs

Post-workout:
    Creatine
    Beta Alanine
    Glutamine
    Leucine

Are you consuming more than 5 grams of creatine a day?
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Coffee.

I'll disagree with you. I have had good results with creatine. I know others who have as well. As for protein shakes. I for one can not consume enough food to get my 200 grams of protein per day. I use it as a post workout protein source. An optimal time to consume protein. Again, I see a lot of generalizations. Some supplements are nothing but marketing, I agree. Some are very useful. It's a matter of knowing its use, and not relying on it like it's magic.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    The reason I use Amino Energy, as it gives me extra amino acids, with caffeine from natural sources. I also use it if I need a little more enegy throughout the day. I have noticed a difference in the gym since I have been using it.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to like Cellucor C4, but find it doesn't do all that much for me anymore, even though I've never used pre workouts on a regular basis. I think it's due to having a caffeine tolerance from my recent coffee addiction.

I had "The Curse" by Cobra Labs, and Mutant Madness recommended to me. I've tried both, and while each do give me some effect, it's still not "enough" for me. I love the beta alanine tingle (that was very mild for these), and a high caffeine content, so if someone can recommend something with more of these than the ones I've tried, I'd love some suggestions.

I've also just taken caffeine pills- 200mg x 2 (Two is more than the recommended dose, so I wouldn't recommend others do this). That DOES help a bit, and is extremely cheap compared to pre workouts. I'm sure one would be sufficient for an average person looking for a cheaper but effective option.

Interested to see more recommendations because I don't want to buy multiple brands before finding one Im content with.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @brilliantwords Most sources like mayo clinic etc say no more than 400 MG of caffeine a day. If you're taking 3 pills hope that is your only consumption.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Packerjohn - Yes, it is, and never more than 2 (not 3). The label says maximum 3 daily, although supposed to be spaced apart. I didn't realize recommendation was maximum 400mg though, because I'm pretty sure an awful lot of people must easily surpass that with more than 2 coffees a day.

I definitely don't do this on a regular/daily basis, only if I have to instruct a class and am feeling 100% exhausted beforehand.. which is bound to happen with a 15 month old. Haha. Occasionally I quit caffeine for a while, and then find I'm much more sensitive to it again when I do reintroduce it in smaller amounts.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Pre-workout:
    Caffeine
    Creatine
    Taurine
    Beta-Alanine
    Citrulline Malate
    Agmatine Sulfate (because I got it free)

Intra-workout:
    BCAAs

Post-workout:
    Creatine
    Beta Alanine
    Glutamine
    Leucine

Are you consuming more than 5 grams of creatine a day?

Around 8-10 grams per day.
  • jeromethechicken
    jeromethechicken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use The Curse in the blue raspberry. It has worked good so far but it does have creatine in it. It also tastes good but I do not drink sodas, so it is sweet to me.

It contains the following:
    3000mg of Beta-Alanine, Creatine, Citrick acid
    1000mg of Citrulline & Arginine
    155mg of caffeine
    Sucralose

I do add other supplements as well...
    Hope it helps...

I'm a big fan of The Curse. I really like the lemon flavored version.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can care less...
    So you do care then?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    While the rest of you argue just to be right, I'll throw this out there...

There is some merit to perception. Call it the placebo effect or whatever you want, but if people think they are benefiting from a supplement, and that helps with their motivation to stick with a routine or push through a workout or grind out one more set or whatever else, then that's a benefit that matters, and one that shouldn't be ignored.

Whether or not that benefit is worth the cost of the supplement is up to the individual.

Yes, it is worth discussing the physiological impacts of stims/supplements... but that's not the entire conversation. And those of you who want to boil everything down to a very black and white conversation are doing an injustice to the vast majority of regular people who live in the chasm that is the gray area.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

There is some merit to perception. Call it the placebo effect or whatever you want, but if people think they are benefiting from a supplement, and that helps with their motivation to stick with a routine or push through a workout or grind out one more set or whatever else, then that's a benefit that matters, and one that shouldn't be ignored.

Whether or not that benefit is worth the cost of the supplement is up to the individual.

Yes, it is worth discussing the physiological impacts of stims/supplements... but that's not the entire conversation. And those of you who want to boil everything down to a very black and white conversation are doing an injustice to the vast majority of regular people who live in the chasm that is the gray area.

This, I'm a big believer in the placebo effect when it comes to supplements. There are things I know aren't doing anything really, but for some reason I can't stop taking them, and I always feel better when I do.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I take BSN's No-xplode but cycle off and on so my body doesn't get used to, or dependent on it. A great blend of stims and caffeine. I have to disagree on the statement that caffeine is really all you need and everything else is not worth it. For example, creatine does more than just give your muscles a pump, it forces fluid into your fibers to help facilitate repair and leads to better recovery over time. Other stims have shown to increase blood flow, like NO, which also assists in recovery and repair. The caffeine and B vitamins in No=xplode gets you going and the rest generally is to assist with energy and pumps during your workout and recovery during and after your workout. However, every person is different and the affects of each pre-workout will be different from person to person. Drawback to No-xplode is that it is not recommended for people with high blood pressure problems as it will increase your blood pressure and some people have stomache issues with it because of all the caffeine and B vitamins. For the guy that recommended ephedra, that just isn't safe to take and has been shown to cause heart palpitations. That's why you can't buy anything on the market with it anymore. It was very effective when you could get it but dangerous over extended use.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

If looking for a placebo effect how about putting a rabbit foot down your shorts? Much cheaper.

Personally would rather spend time and $ on something with proven effectiveness
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If looking for a placebo effect how about putting a rabbit foot down your shorts? Much cheaper.

Personally would rather spend time and $ on something with proven effectiveness

As I said... whether or not the benefits are worth the cost is up to the individual.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "best pre workout"

A light warm up with active stretching?