Non-Calorie Counters STAND UP!! Share your Tips for Weightloss

Options
Hi there,
I'm Tandi! I wanted to hear some of the "non-calorie counters" (Those who choose not to count calories)tips for weight loss. Even if you've lost 1lb and feel this routine/regimen is working for you, feel free to share!

I will start: I made a decision to stop counting calories, as this does not work with me. I've tried for years to keep taking the same advice I read about and receive from people and is still unsuccessful. I now focus more on nutrition. I track and ensure I am taking in the essential nutrients/minerals daily (Vit A and C, Fiber, Protein, etc.) within moderation of course.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • laurchell
    laurchell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of counting to not counting. I count them while going through phase A, which is aiming to lose about 5 lbs. Then I stop to begin phase B, I eat intuitively to build strength and maintain weight. It reinforces my body to keep off the weight once it's gone. I lost it, and don't particularly care to find it.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, so what's your strategy of keeping your amount of eating in check? How exactly do you focus on nutrition?
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use counting portions, not calories. In my opinion, it is very similar. Works excellent in my case.
    I know also about intuitive eating, but have never tried it. My plan is to try it after I lose all the weight. I heard a lot how nice it works. I can only recommend some books about it.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    laurchell wrote: »
    I go through phases of counting to not counting. I count them while going through phase A, which is aiming to lose about 5 lbs. Then I stop to begin phase B, I eat intuitively to build strength and maintain weight. It reinforces my body to keep off the weight once it's gone. I lost it, and don't particularly care to find it.

I do the phasing also. I have no trouble maintaining with portion plate method. But I find that I need to weigh and calorie count during active weight loss phase.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Counting calories works for and with me, but I don't have to do that anymore, because calorie counting has taught me how to eat, and I think that's maybe what you're after? I've counted calories before, at some other site, but that only taught me how to count calories. I've maintained my weight for 20 months now.

I do this now: I plan my meals in a spreadsheet, which turns into a food log as I eat. I also have a running inventory of my fridge, freezer and pantry. Whenever I want to eat something, I write it down in my spreadsheet. I write shopping list for those foods/ingredients to make it, minus what I already have. In the grocery store, I stick as closely as possible to the list. Sometimes I will shop for "categories", for instance "3 different fruits". I stick to ordinary, traditional, simple, home cooked meals, aim for variety and balance, and I will eat anything I like that doesn't trigger overeating. I enter food I've bought into the plan, divided into appropriate portions, but I also need to take into consideration how long that food will stay fresh. This means that I have to buy just the right amount, to avoid waste. When I serve myself, I weigh the uncountables, like milk, nuts, rice, pasta and frozen vegetables, but only count the countables, like pork chops, apples, crispbread. I portion out to make sure I have regular portions every time and not run unexpectedly out. I'm not very concerned about calories anymore.

I also weigh myself every morning and look at the trend. I aim to stay within a preset range, and I do that effortlessly. Whenever I approach the top end, I cut back on unplanned "treats" (yes, I have some of them occasionally - peanut butter and honey is my weakness).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm Tandi! I wanted to hear some of the "non-calorie counters" (Those who choose not to count calories)tips for weight loss. Even if you've lost 1lb and feel this routine/regimen is working for you, feel free to share!

I will start: I made a decision to stop counting calories, as this does not work with me. I've tried for years to keep taking the same advice I read about and receive from people and is still unsuccessful. I now focus more on nutrition. I track and ensure I am taking in the essential nutrients/minerals daily (Vit A and C, Fiber, Protein, etc.) within moderation of course.

I lost 25 lbs counting calories. My dh lost 30 lbs not counting calories.
    What he did: He ate less food. He was not on a low carb diet or anything. He didn't think about meeting macros. He didn't start eating salad. He still ate ice cream. He just reduced his portion sizes of most food by what happened to be the right amount.
    I think my approach has been easier and healthier but it is certainly possible to lose weight without calorie awareness or calorie counting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't log/count on maintenance, currently find counting the easiest way to lose for me, and fun also. Part of why I don't count on maintenance is that I am aware of what I am eating (and how many calories it is) from counting for a while. So I think it can be a good experience even if you don't want to do it longterm.

That said, I lost in the past (around 15 years ago, and maintained for years before some life stuff) without counting. This was (so far as I know) before MFP and similar sites. What I did then was change my diet (which was disorganized and relied too much on restaurant foods available through my job) to a pretty consistent pattern of standard breakfast, various lunch options (typically brought from home, but there were some lunch places around my office that had options I deemed acceptable for my goals), and a variety of homecooked dinners (mostly) based on a protein, a starch/whole grain, and lots of vegetables. I'd focus on serving sizes for things like meat and starch (much more than I do now, when I learned what worked for me specifically through weighing and logging). I also, for a while, wrote down what I ate without counting calories, as that was helpful in avoiding grazing. The problem for me with this approach is that I tend to be too restrictive and cut too low. I countered that somewhat by generally working in a more indulgent dinner once a week.

I also added in consistent exercise and decided to walk/take public transportation anywhere I possibly could (which is most places).
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a shame this place is labeled only as a calorie counting website. It has more to offer and I think would be even more valuable if other options & paths to weight loss and fitness were readily accepted.

My tips:eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid foods that cause cravings & binges, embrace foods that keep cravings & binges at bay. Don't stress over food, try new recipes.

Agreed. It is called my FITNESS pal. Not my CALORIE pal.

There's another calorie counting app/website called CALORIEcount. I can definitely see that one being dubbed a calorie counting website.

I counted calories to lose weight. Without counting, my weight loss is very slow. But I don't count when maintaining. I just eat sensibly.

I'm maintaining now and still use this app daily. I love the forums. I guess they're a substitute for not having Facebook for me! Lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a shame this place is labeled only as a calorie counting website. It has more to offer and I think would be even more valuable if other options & paths to weight loss and fitness were readily accepted.

My tips:eat mostly whole foods, lots of fruit and vegetables. Avoid foods that cause cravings & binges, embrace foods that keep cravings & binges at bay. Don't stress over food, try new recipes.

In my "eyes", MFP isn't only a calorie counting website. Its food diary lets you track calories, and calories is crucial to weight managment, but MFP stands for - also in my opinion - health and fitness through eating well and freedom of choice. There's really no conflict here - if you want to be fit and healthy and eat good food, you'll end up eating healthily. There's not just one setup for a healthy diet, though. Lots of different combinations can work, and will work, and works, for different people. MPF encourages you to find one (or more) of those combinations.