Crazy scale readings? muscle loss?

Options
Hi,

So I weighed in on Monday at 69.6Kg/154lb which put me at about a .5kg/1lb loss for the week before. That's okay although I was expect about .25kg/.5lb more.

So tuesday I weighed in at 68.9kg!/152lb.
Wednesday was also 69.9/152
Friday was 68.4kg/150.5lb. (okay so now I'm thinking this can't be right!)
And to now
Saturday: 67.9kg/149.6lb!!!

What is going on! That's just under 2kg for leas than a week!

**should mention, I didn't eat back any exercise cals this week. And as I'm not seeing a visible change in my body. I'm wondering if I'm losing muscle mass?! What's going on?

Replies

• Barbeliza
    Barbeliza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't weigh yourself so often! Once a week - same day/same time will give you more accurate information.
    Keep up the good work.
    Barbeliza
  • dmaster555
    dmaster555 Posts: 73
    Options
    water weight.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't weigh yourself so often! Once a week - same day/same time will give you more accurate information.
    Keep up the good work.
    Barbeliza

I disagree completely with this poster. What scientist takes one reading and then adopts it as law? None. Take your weight daily as long as you realize that your weight varies from day to day, up and down - it won't hurt you as long as you don't get easily disappointed. Track your weight and you will have a better view of where you are in weight loss (your trend should hopefully always be going down).

Now, to be more on topic. I can't tell you if that's muscle loss, but you will probably start to see a slow down and gain back very soon. If I were you, I'd start eating back some exercise calories again to see if you can keep your metabolism guessing. Are you continuing to do strength training?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Don't know your weight loss history. It could be any # of things, but you won't lose that much muscle mass in a week.
    Water "weight" may be a part of it. Make sure you are drinking enough, as it is possible that you are a bit dehydrated.

It's not unusual for me to lose 5# in a week. Usually it happens after I plateau for a few weeks, then the scale will suddenly drop a pound or two at a time over the course of a week. It's just the way that I lose weight.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself daily you should probably expect the readings to go up and down daily. Certain foods we eat help our bodies retain or lose water and fluid; certain activities we do have the same effect. So the scales can read differently each day. I think the key is to not panic, have a program, stick to it, and you can't go wrong. I also think that taking daily readings is fine, but look for trends over time, the operative part of that being "trend" and "over time." Eating right and exercising is a way of living that has been scientifically proven to provide good health, but in the long run, it's not just about the science, the numbers, the scales, the measurements. It's about how we feel. So here's to feeling good!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your body is burning calories expecting they will be replenished (because you usually eat back your exercise calories and aren't this week). So now that you're not eating back your calories, you're going to have a huge loss. (Probably some muscle, but also just more in general.) BUT... After about a week of this, your body will realize it's not going to be getting the calories it needs for the activities it's doing, and your weight loss will slow down dramatically, stop completely, or you may even gain some fat.

I would be happy you had a week like this, but go back to eating back your exercise calories next week so you can keep making improvements (both weight loss and fitness). If you truly are losing nothing at all by eating back your calories (not just only .5 - 1 pound per week, which I know is slow and frustrating but is also true when you get close to goal weight, but truly losing zero, week after week), then maybe try only eating back 75% of your calories. Or maybe try having one week like this (where you don't eat back) per month, but the rest of the time eat back your calories so your body burns them the most efficiently.

I know slow losses are frustrating, but they are the most likely to stay off!!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself every day take the reading right after waking up. You'll get the most accurate measurement for trending purposes. Don't forget to measure biceps, neck, waist at the navel, and your thighs as well and trend this data. Depending on what your fat percentage is and how you 'wear' your weight these measurements should trend downwards as well. Set realistic short and long term goals and you'll be well on your way to success. Good luck.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi,
    Keep up the good work.
    Barbeliza

I disagree completely with this poster. What scientist takes one reading and then adopts it as law? None. Take your weight daily as long as you realize that your weight varies from day to day, up and down - it won't hurt you as long as you don't get easily disappointed. Track your weight and you will have a better view of where you are in weight loss (your trend should hopefully always be going down).

Now, to be more on topic. I can't tell you if that's muscle loss, but you will probably start to see a slow down and gain back very soon. If I were you, I'd start eating back some exercise calories again to see if you can keep your metabolism guessing. Are you continuing to do strength training?

I see both points that each of these poster's are trying to make. You can weigh in everday, just make sure you have ONE day that is your official weigh in day and record it. That way you can keep more track of what you are losing each week by looking at what you weigh on the official days.
  • CMcBryer
    Options
    Also, your weight can fluctuate due to how much water you are retaining or not retaining by around 5 lbs.
  • schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi thank for replies

On fluctuations:
    I did drink the same amount of water as I have been for the past 3 motnh or so (2.4-3L) So I dont think it could be water loss.
    Because I aw the .7kg drop ater my weigh in day, I decided to keep weighing in each day/every other day, because I was ure the number (68.9) was jusst random fluctation, but whats weird is that the number progressively went down this week.
    (69.6, 68.9, 68.9, 68.4, 67.9) Thats weird!! ??

On eating back exercisse cals:
    I dont usually eat back exercise cals, so thats not abnormal for me... but ometimes i have to consume back 100-200 for dinner. Which I havent done thi week... so maybe a small contibuting change?

Strengh:
    I don't do strength training at the moment, because Ive jut been trying to lose body fat... I only have one set on 2kg weights, and I do all of my workouts at home.. and I dont have any DVDs, How ele can I strength train? Should I start?

In the past I saw the results in the mirror, but not on the scale, now Im no longer seeing them in the mirror, but seeing big drops on the scale!! Ahhh weight loss hey!
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lose weight pretty weirdly too - I weigh myself every day so I have motivation to carry on when I've lost a pound or two.
    The most I have lost was 9lbs in 3 days (through eating a 1200cal diet with little or no exercise and actually up to 200cal over) but I often lose a bit, put it back on and then it's off again easy as that.
    If you put it back on again in a couple of days then up your water intake as it helps your weightloss to drink extra but it's great motivation to think that you weighed x-amount a couple of days ago and that the weight isn't stuck!

Of the 9lbs I lost I put 7lbs of it back on in 2 days and then lost 8lbs in another 2 days - again doing very little exercise and usually going over my daily calories.
    PS. I'm not just lazy I'm itching to go out for a run but I broke my ankle quite impressively 11 weeks ago and now have 2 plates, 6 short and 2 long screws holding it together so it'll be about September before I'm cleared to go any faster than a walk (or hobble at the moment)!
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Options
    great advise!
  • schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    ahah! oh okay :) thanks, that prepares me a little for when i see this number creep back up again! hopefully it will be over soon and I can go back to weight loss at a steady rate with improvents in the mirror too :)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Keep up the good work.
    Barbeliza

Agreed. Scientists like MORE data points to get any overall trend.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I hate the effen scale....PERIOD!:angry::explode: :noway: :grumble: :mad: :huh:
  • CMcBryer
    Options
    I lose weight pretty weirdly too - I weigh myself every day so I have motivation to carry on when I've lost a pound or two.
    The most I have lost was 9lbs in 3 days (through eating a 1200cal diet with little or no exercise and actually up to 200cal over) but I often lose a bit, put it back on and then it's off again easy as that.
    If you put it back on again in a couple of days then up your water intake as it helps your weightloss to drink extra but it's great motivation to think that you weighed x-amount a couple of days ago and that the weight isn't stuck!

Of the 9lbs I lost I put 7lbs of it back on in 2 days and then lost 8lbs in another 2 days - again doing very little exercise and usually going over my daily calories.
    PS. I'm not just lazy I'm itching to go out for a run but I broke my ankle quite impressively 11 weeks ago and now have 2 plates, 6 short and 2 long screws holding it together so it'll be about September before I'm cleared to go any faster than a walk (or hobble at the moment)!

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • CMcBryer
    Options
    Hi thank for replies

On fluctuations:
    I did drink the same amount of water as I have been for the past 3 motnh or so (2.4-3L) So I dont think it could be water loss.
    Because I aw the .7kg drop ater my weigh in day, I decided to keep weighing in each day/every other day, because I was ure the number (68.9) was jusst random fluctation, but whats weird is that the number progressively went down this week.
    (69.6, 68.9, 68.9, 68.4, 67.9) Thats weird!! ??

Also keep in mind of how much sodium you ingested. It could just be that even though you drank the same amount, your body is holding onto more of the liquid or less. Do you have a lower sodium diet this week?
  • ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure biceps, neck, waist at the navel, and your thighs as well and trend this data.

You'll want to measure your waist at the navel if you're a guy. Women should be measuring at the smallest part of their torso (usually a couple inches above the navel) to get their waist measurement.