Suggestions for exercise?

Options
pvju
pvju Posts: 115 Member
I'm at a loss as over the years I stopped enjoying the forms of exercise I once loved. It's probably a combination of age, ego and weight gain that soured me.

I weight-lifted quite seriously for years and really loved everything about it, ditto with yoga and dance. I tend to like to push myself really hard and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it as well as seeing the physical changes. For whatever reasons, I just don't get the sense of accomplishment or joy from these things and I desperately want to find something new that I really look forward to doing.

I'm still reasonably fit and strong and I like a challenge.

I've tried zumba, spinning, running and aerobics. I liked spinning more than the others but my current gym doesn't offer it and I'm not sure I like it enough to buy a second gym membership.

Any and all ideas would be welcome!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you like swimming? Sign up for a masters class at a local pool.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hiking , you can realy push yourself, add weight to pack, or add distance, speed .....
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I struggled for years ... even with MFP but my husband bought me the fitbit flex so with that and the need to fill a gap woth packing in the ciggy. .. I crosstrain (elliptical ) almost every day.
    Nothing major and not fast. Just enough to make me sweat :) with some good music.
    Just a couple of changes to my routine and sticking to the calories MFP have given me, I'm lighter than I've been in over 20 years.
    You will find that something new which will make it enjoyable to reach your own goals.
    Good luck !!!
  • mauriziovecchione234
    Options
    Hi, you have try mtb or road bike. They are strong for wheight loss and for health. Bye
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Buy a bicycle - it's a sport/activity/exercise where you can push yourself as hard as you choose to while enjoying beautiful countryside.

I now do long distance events and see loads of older folks (even older than me!) in great shape, full of joie de vivre, fit and healthy.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you'd love crossfit
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to try them all! I already have a mountain and road bike, so I can dust those off, and I live in a great place for hiking. Rock climbing is something I really loved the couple of times I've tried it - I totally forgot about that - I gave up when I couldn't find anyone to go with me but there's an indoor gym here so I can see if they maybe have something that works for people going alone.

I've been curious about crossfit forever but worried it's too intense for me - but I'm going to go - the first class is free. Swimming I'm iffy - it feels like running to me - I can't find my rhythm and I end up winded after half a lap - even though I've got plenty of breath for other forms of cardio - I need to figure out what the problem is because being in the water is wonderful.

Also, think the fit bit might help motivate me - been eyeing that for awhile.

Thanks for the motivation and ideas!!
  • hauteswan
    hauteswan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Raquetball!
  • skaterbutt
    skaterbutt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read your post and have struggled with finding something to do as well. My suggestion is to try a High Intensity Interval Training class at your local gym. I've found that I'm getting lazier in my older years and being able to set aside one hour for a good workout that someone else is leading is the key to me getting it done. It also helps when there are other people who are in their getting their *kitten* kicked too. I would be careful with Crossfit because some of the movements are complex and not meant to be done in high rep sets, and I see a lot of poor form that can lead to major injuries. Finding a HIIT class that doesn't incorporate heavy weights or olympic lifts and using that to prepare your body for crossfit later in the summer would probably minimize your chances of injury.
  • mauriziovecchione234
    Options
    When i go with bicycle, i am well why i see all without roumors and i see more persons than run, any animals, the birds and any still.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Skipping
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is only as intense as you make it. It's not something you already have to be in shape to do. But do make sure they teach you proper form on the movements.