Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Come on, mfp. 1200?

Why does myfitnesspal suggest 1,200 calories a day? I am 5'8, about 190 pounds. I work full time so I'm at a desk all day. I'm doing about 3+ days a week of spinning/elliptical.
Any suggestions on what my calorie goal should be?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Select to lose 1.5 or 1lb per week and see what calorie goal you get.

Do you add your exercise calories? If yes, you should eat a portion (1/3-1/2) of those back.
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2016
    Using the stats you mentioned, your daily intake for losing one pound a week should be closer to 1500 calories a day for a sedentary lifestyle. If it's showing 1200, chances are you either picked 1.5 or 2 pounds a week.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    I'm pretty sure it only gives that if you're trying to lose 2lbs a week, go for 1lb.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    And I am actually having trouble getting in at least 1200 calories a day and I use to think I ate a lot lol.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    I'm 5'8 weigh 148 lb I am on 1400 to lose 1 lb a week after gaining on holidays. I usually maintain 140lbs ish at 1850. But the days I exercise, I add those calories in. I think dropping more than a llb a week starts to mess with your metabolism.