Come on, mfp. 1200?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ila1227 wrote: »
    Hi. I just rejoined minutes ago. Yes, 1200 was what I got too. 5'0 only. Actually I am a little worried about this number. It said I would lose 1 pound a week. yikes. Its depressing how fast I can put it on and how slow if at all it leaves :(

Don't forget to log your exercise and eat back some of those calories!

Honestly, I settled for half a pound per week and made sure I got my activity level up so I could eat 1500 cals, because I really struggled when I was eating less. You'll figure it out - good luck!
  • Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I want to loose 40-50 pounds. But I am 67 and it seems to even get harder to lose weight

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I want to loose 40-50 pounds. But I am 67 and it seems to even get harder to lose weight

Sorry :(. Us shorties don't have a lot of wiggle room. Hang in there!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

My mom is 78 and hovers around Under Weight. But she is extremely active - she gardens, walks, does yoga, will be swimming soon, and goes to the gym twice per week for strength training with a trainer. She also eats a lot of higher volume/lower calorie foods.

• katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    OP I'm 5'9" and I lost all my weight eating an average of 1800 a day. If you're worried you won't stick to it because you'll be too hungry, I would set your diary to lose .5 pounds a week.

How much weight did you lose and how long did it take? It's comforting to know that it's possible to lose weight without starving or depriving ourselves :)
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

What kind of food did you eat? I'm always mesmerized by people who can lose the weight and keep it off!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I'm 5'9" and I lost all my weight eating an average of 1800 a day. If you're worried you won't stick to it because you'll be too hungry, I would set your diary to lose .5 pounds a week.

How much weight did you lose and how long did it take? It's comforting to know that it's possible to lose weight without starving or depriving ourselves :)

I wish I could remember which MFP veteran user was the one who used to say, "the winner is the person who eats the most and still loses". That's the philosophy I've tried to aspire to here, no point in being miserable!

I feel like it's @rabbitjb, but I could be wrong about that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I wish I could remember which MFP veteran user was the one who used to say, "the winner is the person who eats the most and still loses". That's the philosophy I've tried to aspire to here, no point in being miserable!

Sounds like me :bigsmile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It is a great saying, but not nearly witty enough to be a rabbit saying...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I thought it was @SLLRunner or the regular member who was pushing the big red ball in her profile. I'm certain it was one of those 2
  • kshama2001
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

36958290.jpg
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I thought it was @SLLRunner or the regular member who was pushing the big red ball in her profile. I'm certain it was one of those 2

I think you're right! Either way, both great posters who continuously post helpful advice on the forums.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Some one HELP me!! What's the username of the big red ball pushing woman, it's going to drive me nuts until i know. And yes, she was always very helpful.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Some one HELP me!! What's the username of the big red ball pushing woman, it's going to drive me nuts until i know. And yes, she was always very helpful.

I'm pretty sure @SLLRunner used to push a ball. She has a different avatar now.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Aha that could be i am confussdeded :lol:
  • kshama2001
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Aha that could be i am confussdeded :lol:

Ya, @rabbitjb has been back for some time and I didn't notice until today because she's not using her usual avatar.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

For decades now, women's magazines and "nutrition" magazines have touted "1200 calorie diet plans!" as the "right way to do it." I remember standing in the checkout line at the grocery store, scanning across Women's Day and Family Circle and Good Housekeeping and all the rest, each of them in a row with their covers offering "1200 calories to lose 10 by Memorial Day!"

It's so ingrained as the "calories a woman needs" that I have met women who think that 1200 calories are *all* a woman *should* eat. Period. Ever. Daily. Not for weight loss, but they think that's all a woman *needs.*

Yes, and they always had pictures of the newest baked goods to try like a yummy chocolate cake or pastry or whatever....
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

as I said if you really are eating 1200 chances are you are losing more muscle than you think.

ETA: muscle definition comes from losing the fat on the muscle not from building extra muscle.

Does it really. I had no idea =/ I am not losing muscle, and I am very strong. Not everyone is built the same, burns calories the same, has the same body. This is how I have always been.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just rejoined minutes ago. Yes, 1200 was what I got too. 5'0 only. Actually I am a little worried about this number. It said I would lose 1 pound a week. yikes. Its depressing how fast I can put it on and how slow if at all it leaves :(

1200 is too low a number for most people.

Unfortunately for you, at 5 ft tall and 67 years old, you are probably one of the older smaller women for whom it is right ( plus eating back some exercise calories)