Hypothyroid and water weight

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,400 Member
Yes, I know one generally holds onto more water when hypothyroid. One thing I noticed since my GP upped my medication is that my 'water profile' over the course of a week changed quite a bit.

Usually my weight was always lowest on Sunday or Monday morning and then would rise bou just over 2lbs until Friday, then drop again. Now there seems to be hardly any difference across a week anymore. Plus I don't need to go to the toilet anymore just past midnight (so great to be able to sleep through). Now it's at 6 in the morning ;)

Anyone can help to explain? Maybe this is a good indication of having to up medication in the future again as things such as concentration are more difficult to compare for me.

Btw, I'm maintaining.

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid, but recently I've been thinking the heat and humidity are probably causing/contributing to water retention. Quoting the last paragraph of that article: "In the summer, body weight can go up by several pounds due to increased body water. This is accomplished through fluid-conserving hormones such as aldosterone, which allows the kidney to retain more fluid and reduces the amount of salt in sweat, a measure that also aids in water retention. The increase and stabilization of total body water can only be accomplished by continuing to exercise in hot weather and will not occur in people who spend most of their time indoors in air-conditioned environments."
  • tiddolski
    tiddolski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid. But my levels have been dropped recently and I feel terrible.

Do you guys also suffer with any digestive problems?
  • yirara
    Options
    tiddolski wrote: »
    I'm hypothyroid. But my levels have been dropped recently and I feel terrible.

Do you guys also suffer with any digestive problems?

Yes, I do. I don't seem to be digesting fats too well and protein causes reflux occasionally. The reflux part seems to be due to having too little stomach acid rather than too much. Both problems seem to be not uncommon with hypothyroid people if I'm to believe the Thyroid.co.uk message board. But other digestive issues also seem to be common. And autoimmune digestive problems on top of that seem to be common with people who have hashimotos as there's hardly ever just one autoimmune disease.
  • yirara
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I'm hypothyroid, but recently I've been thinking the heat and humidity are probably causing/contributing to water retention. Quoting the last paragraph of that article: "In the summer, body weight can go up by several pounds due to increased body water. This is accomplished through fluid-conserving hormones such as aldosterone, which allows the kidney to retain more fluid and reduces the amount of salt in sweat, a measure that also aids in water retention. The increase and stabilization of total body water can only be accomplished by continuing to exercise in hot weather and will not occur in people who spend most of their time indoors in air-conditioned environments."

Hmm.. here it's not really warmer than during winter, thus this cannot really be the reason. I read somewhere that a lower body temperature might also be related to more water retention, but I can't find it anymore.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well. I have to watch my salt content. I have to almost be obsessed with it. My dr told me no refined carbs, no salt, no soy. Since I have listen and obeyed, I have noticed I haven't had the water retention issues like I did. I still get some when I am eating at someone else's home as I can't monitor their food prep. It takes a week to get it off, but the water does go away. Just frustrating for a few days.

Lately, it has been super warm here and muggy. So, I do get some water retention. Not as severe though. Before , I would put on as much as 5-7 lbs now it's 2 lbs at the most.

My recommendations are drink plenty of clear fluids and watch your salt levels. Be patient with yourself.
    It does take some time for your body to adjust to new medication levels. Every time you get a dose change, be prepared for small fluctuations. It's normal and things will smooth out.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and also have to watch sodium intake. If I eat anything overly salty I retain fluid like crazy. I also have the digestive issues. I was working with a health coach a while back and we figured out that my digestive tract has a 3 to 4 day turnaround time! Sorry TMI.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid, diagnosed when I was 8 years old. I notice that I retain water very easily and both my sister and I are gluten intolerant, she also has hypo and was diagnosed about 10 years ago.