Come on, mfp. 1200?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back exercise calories on top of that by the way.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Shana67 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It isn't for everyone. I have a fairly active job, so 1200 would not work for me. Generally those who are smaller and older are ideal for that amount.

Well. I'm not small, nor am I old, and it is working just fine. I workout 6x/week for an hour each time. Personally, I just think one needs to get used to feeling mildly hungry most of the time. *shrugs*

If you are really eating 1200 you are losing muscle and fat...no thanks.

I prefer to keep my muscle and lose at a slower rate. *shrugs*

and there is no reason to feel even "mildly hungry" most of the time...it's like you are punishing yourself for gaining weight. SMH

OP your goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight....that way you know you aren't losing as much muscle as fat....which in the long run is not a good thing.

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

^^ great reply @SezxyStef
    and I am nodding head vigorously in agreement :smile:

Samesies...

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

So much this!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It isn't for everyone. I have a fairly active job, so 1200 would not work for me. Generally those who are smaller and older are ideal for that amount.

Well. I'm not small, nor am I old, and it is working just fine. I workout 6x/week for an hour each time. Personally, I just think one needs to get used to feeling mildly hungry most of the time. *shrugs*

and there is no reason to feel even "mildly hungry" most of the time...it's like you are punishing yourself for gaining weight. SMH

OP your goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight....that way you know you aren't losing as much muscle as fat....which in the long run is not a good thing.

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

^^ great reply @SezxyStef
    and I am nodding head vigorously in agreement :smile:

Samesies...

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

I don't get it either, unless it's someone who has to be on 1200 out of necessity. What's the point in reaching your goal weight a few months earlier if they're going to feel longer and harder. Personally, I have been going a few years (which included long maintenance breaks) and I could go for a few more with minimal discomfort, while one month on 1200 calories felt longer than the 3 years I spent around here and it was stressful. My average base weight loss calories range between 1400 and 1800 (I'm obese) plus exercise calories, depending on my appetite and mood.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 a day. Very active here. It doesn't bother me. But for a 190 pound person 1200 doesn't sound right if you are trying to maintain. To lose weight on a sedentary setting that does sound about right
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. I'm 5'3" and 110 pounds. I'm small, but not old, and I'm highly active. Regardless, I still eat way more than 1200 calories when it comes to gross, not net, calories. I would be a mess on such a small amount. I'm trying to maintain my weight, but I'm still losing at 1800 to 2200 calories per day. 1200 gross calories per day is quite unnecessary for most people or more easily managed by older people or people with a higher body fat percentage.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I could technically choose 1200 calories, but I don't because I want fat loss....not fat+muscle loss *shrugs*
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    MFP allows you to set goal where you want. I change mine depending on whats going on. Lots of people lose eating more than 1200. I wish I were one of them!
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sailrabbit.com/bmr/

That's what I used to set my deficit (you can set a custom calorie count). I want to lose around 1.5 a week (1 pound would be more comfortable, but I'm on a deadline) but it was spitting me out 1200 calories at 5'6" and 170 lbs.

I get hangry sometimes at 1380! I'd straight murder someone at 1200!

I like the sailrabbit.com calculator because there's a section towards the bottom where you can say you want to burn an average of X calories a day in exercise. Plug that in with your guesstimate of a weeks exercise ÷7 and you get one with exercise calories built in.

It works better for me, and might give you a more reasonable deficit, whatever your goals are. Even if you don't use it like that, you can still see how your exercise calories affect your weight loss in a clear(er) way than with MFP. Helps to make a more sensible goal all around.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A high deficit (which 1200 may or may not be, depending on size and activity) does make it more likely that you will lose more muscle than necessary, although protein consumption and strength training can help alleviate that. Also, someone who has more fat to lose can get away with a higher deficit without it being a problem than someone closer to goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

How tall are you and how much weight are you losing per week (on average over a month or so)?

How many pounds away from your goal weight are you?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Why does myfitnesspal suggest 1,200 calories a day? I am 5'8, about 190 pounds. I work full time so I'm at a desk all day. I'm doing about 3+ days a week of spinning/elliptical.
    Any suggestions on what my calorie goal should be?

OP, I'm 5'4" and when I was 145 lbs, I lost weight eating 1500-1600 cals while lightly active. You should def be able to lose weight on more than 1200! I think your plan makes sense - change your goal to 1 lb, and feel free to eat back some of your exercise calories too.

Also, if you don't have a food scale, get one! Using it as often as possible will help you make sure you are eating what you think you are. Especially in the beginning, it's a great way to make sure a portion size is really what you think it is. Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Why does myfitnesspal suggest 1,200 calories a day? I am 5'8, about 190 pounds. I work full time so I'm at a desk all day. I'm doing about 3+ days a week of spinning/elliptical.
    Any suggestions on what my calorie goal should be?

The bolded is why. Your TDEE (without exercise) is only about 1900. If you want to eat more, make sure your goal is set at 1lb per week and make sure you are eating back at least some of your exercise calories.

There is a big difference in eating and sustaining on 1200 calories depending upon whether or not your eating that level net, or gross. Make sure that's your net, not your gross.