Calorie & exercise help

So I've been set to eat 1210 calories per day now I walk a lot in work so my step count says I'm burning 500 calories then I've been swimming 5 times a week an hour each time which is around 500-600 calories so I'm a bit confused because do I now eat the calories I have burnt or just stick to 1200 calories?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Assuming your calorie burns for exercise are accurate, yes, you are supposed to eat them. Unlike other places, MyFitnessPal does not include intended exercise in the calorie goal you are given so with no exercise at all you will lose eating the number of calories you have been given. When you add calories burned through exercise you increase that daily calorie deficit, which sounds good until you realize that a bigger deficit will often result in excessive lean mass loss (muscles and the like) which you want to minimize by using a moderate deficit. That is why eating exercise calories back is important.

Having said that, there are confounding factors. First, most people starting out don't actually measure the food they are eating correctly, so the calories they eat in a day tend to be more than what they think they are eating. That means that even logging 1210 calories, it is likely you are eating more than 1210 in a day. This is not a personal slight toward you, simply an observation from many years on here. Second, many times the calories burn through exercise are overstated, that is, they are higher than the actual calories burned. There are various reason for this, but again it is quite common.

Taking both of these into account you can start to see a problem. If you are eating more than you think, and your exercise is burning less than you think, eating all your exercise calories back could mean you are not actually eating at a calorie deficit. In light of that I make these suggestions. First, try eating about 75 percent of your exercise calories back as a maximum to start. If after 3 weeks you find your weight loss stalls or slows down a great deal, drop that percent to about 50 percent only eating more if you are really hungry.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,835 Member
    How do you measure your calirie burn for sport? It sounds very huge to be honest. For walking, 0.3 x weight in lbs x distance in miles seems to work quite well. Swimming: I guess a faily fast breaststroke ober an hour gives me (125lbs) about 200kcal, if at all. Thus careful with thise numbers please.
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Agree with previous posters. I'd be dubious about those numbers of calories burnt and I'd expect that if you eat them you'll end up gaining.
  • leannecnry332
    leannecnry332 Posts: 31 Member
    Assuming your calorie burns for exercise are accurate, yes, you are supposed to eat them. Unlike other places, MyFitnessPal does not include intended exercise in the calorie goal you are given so with no exercise at all you will lose eating the number of calories you have been given. When you add calories burned through exercise you increase that daily calorie deficit, which sounds good until you realize that a bigger deficit will often result in excessive lean mass loss (muscles and the like) which you want to minimize by using a moderate deficit. That is why eating exercise calories back is important.

Having said that, there are confounding factors. First, most people starting out don't actually measure the food they are eating correctly, so the calories they eat in a day tend to be more than what they think they are eating. That means that even logging 1210 calories, it is likely you are eating more than 1210 in a day. This is not a personal slight toward you, simply an observation from many years on here. Second, many times the calories burn through exercise are overstated, that is, they are higher than the actual calories burned. There are various reason for this, but again it is quite common.

Taking both of these into account you can start to see a problem. If you are eating more than you think, and your exercise is burning less than you think, eating all your exercise calories back could mean you are not actually eating at a calorie deficit. In light of that I make these suggestions. First, try eating about 75 percent of your exercise calories back as a maximum to start. If after 3 weeks you find your weight loss stalls or slows down a great deal, drop that percent to about 50 percent only eating more if you are really hungry.

Im still a bit confused lol....So I log and weigh literally everything now when I signed up I said I was lightly active but I'm now actually more active as I have incorporated swimming for an hour about 5 times a week I weigh 13st 12 lb an I'm 5' 3" my bmi is 35 so do I still stick to 1210 calories a day as this is what mfp gave me to do before I started swimming (60 lengths so not a slow swim in 50min) I'm aiming for 2lb loss every week but will this happen? I've heard of you have to burn more calories than you eat etc an a lot of other things hence my confusion
  • leannecnry332
    yirara wrote: »
    How do you measure your calirie burn for sport? It sounds very huge to be honest. For walking, 0.3 x weight in lbs x distance in miles seems to work quite well. Swimming: I guess a faily fast breaststroke ober an hour gives me (125lbs) about 200kcal, if at all. Thus careful with thise numbers please.

I log my exercise on mfp an that's the number of calories it gives my
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Im still a bit confused lol....So I log and weigh literally everything now when I signed up I said I was lightly active but I'm now actually more active as I have incorporated swimming for an hour about 5 times a week I weigh 13st 12 lb an I'm 5' 3" my bmi is 35 so do I still stick to 1210 calories a day as this is what mfp gave me to do before I started swimming (60 lengths so not a slow swim in 50min) I'm aiming for 2lb loss every week but will this happen? I've heard of you have to burn more calories than you eat etc an a lot of other things hence my confusion

your activity level should notinclude exercise.

Then you log exercise and eat back at least 50% of those calories.

MFP is designed to help you lose weight without exercise hence eating exercise calories back.

The 2lbs a week will not always happen...and remember when you have less to lose that number should decrease as well.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • leannecnry332
    SezxyStef wrote: »

MFP is designed to help you lose weight without exercise hence eating exercise calories back.

The 2lbs a week will not always happen...and remember when you have less to lose that number should decrease as well.

But everyone is saying the calories burnt aren't right its what I log on MFP so it comes up with the number
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,835 Member
    yirara wrote: »

I log my exercise on mfp an that's the number of calories it gives my

Ok, please be careful with those numbers. I don't know how MFP calculates them, but I find them grossly inflated. I just checked and realized I gave your wrong numbers. 60 minutes of breaststroke according to MFP is 567kcal for me. However, with months of testing and tracking very precisely I only got about 270kcal of very fast and technical breast stroke swimming for an hour. Thus MFP gives me more than twice the right amount. If I ate this all back my rather small deficit would have been mostly obliterated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

But everyone is saying the calories burnt aren't right its what I log on MFP so it comes up with the number

MFP guesses at your calorie burns. There are so many factors that go into this number, and MFP doesn't have (can't have) all the information. For some activities this guess pretty spot on, for other activities.....not so much.

Start by eating back a % of exercise calories. If you are losing as expected....stick with that %. If you are losing faster than expected, then bump up the % of exercise calories you eat back. Every thing is an estimate. Your activity level is a range of activity (some days higher than others).....it's all estimates.
  • rileysowner

I have no idea if your calorie burns are right. The one comparison from a person who is 125 pound to you is not going to be helpful since you will burn substantially more calories at your weight of 194 pounds, not to mention age works in there as well.

In terms of setting us your goals, 1) Activity level only has to do with your normal daily activity outside of intentional exercise. If you work at a desk all day, you are likely sedentary or a little more active than sedentary as sedentary is quite literally sitting pretty much all day only getting up and moving around on occasion. An active activity level would be a job where a person is always on their feet moving around like a nurse or retail sales were you are moving things around a lot and going all over a store all day. 2) Set your weight loss goal per week based on the chart posted earlier. Usually people just default to 2 pounds per week, but that is often too aggressive a goal for many.

Once you have done that, the calories given are your base calories. They already have a deficit built in to lose the amount of weight per week that you selected. Any exercise above that you need to eat the calories for.

Now comes the part that can be an issue . . . the exercise calories from Myfitnesspal (MFP) those numbers can sometimes be quite good. I know of people who have used MFP as it was designed to be used, using the calorie numbers it gives and have lost just fine. Others look and see certain exercises giving far more calories than they should. That is why I suggested eating less than all those calories burned in exercise 75% and if weight loss is slow then drop it to 50%. You should eat them though.

As to why MFP's numbers for some exercises are incorrect or at least seem incorrect, I am not sure. I am guessing it would simply be errors in data entry that have no way of being corrected. Since you are weighing your food, your calories eaten are likely pretty accurate, so I would suggest go through the goal setting process again making sure your account is set up right, then us MFP as designed eating back your exercise calories at the proportions I suggested. I hope this helps.
  • rileysowner

Just to add, I am not sure how inaccurate MFP's numbers are. As long as I have been here people have said they are, but at the same time, I am not sure if the issues were exercise numbers or inaccurate logging of food consumed. Since people tend to think exercise burns more calories than it does, I would still suggest reducing the numbers MFP gives you a little bit.
  • leannecnry332

I have no idea if your calorie burns are right. The one comparison from a person who is 125 pound to you is not going to be helpful since you will burn substantially more calories at your weight of 194 pounds, not to mention age works in there as well.

In terms of setting us your goals, 1) Activity level only has to do with your normal daily activity outside of intentional exercise. If you work at a desk all day, you are likely sedentary or a little more active than sedentary as sedentary is quite literally sitting pretty much all day only getting up and moving around on occasion. An active activity level would be a job where a person is always on their feet moving around like a nurse or retail sales were you are moving things around a lot and going all over a store all day. 2) Set your weight loss goal per week based on the chart posted earlier. Usually people just default to 2 pounds per week, but that is often too aggressive a goal for many.

Once you have done that, the calories given are your base calories. They already have a deficit built in to lose the amount of weight per week that you selected. Any exercise above that you need to eat the calories for.

Now comes the part that can be an issue . . . the exercise calories from Myfitnesspal (MFP) those numbers can sometimes be quite good. I know of people who have used MFP as it was designed to be used, using the calorie numbers it gives and have lost just fine. Others look and see certain exercises giving far more calories than they should. That is why I suggested eating less than all those calories burned in exercise 75% and if weight loss is slow then drop it to 50%. You should eat them though.

As to why MFP's numbers for some exercises are incorrect or at least seem incorrect, I am not sure. I am guessing it would simply be errors in data entry that have no way of being corrected. Since you are weighing your food, your calories eaten are likely pretty accurate, so I would suggest go through the goal setting process again making sure your account is set up right, then us MFP as designed eating back your exercise calories at the proportions I suggested. I hope this helps.

I am on my feet for 10 hours a day before exercise so I put that as lightly active, an my weight height, target weight an 2lb a week loss, so does MFP set you in a defecit in calories after you have entered all the info I take it? And then any exercise done above this I should eat 50% of the calories back
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I am on my feet for 10 hours a day before exercise so I put that as lightly active, an my weight height, target weight an 2lb a week loss, so does MFP set you in a defecit in calories after you have entered all the info I take it? And then any exercise done above this I should eat 50% of the calories back

When I first came here I personally ate all my exercise calories back and it did not stop my weight loss...at all.

I consistently lost 1lb a week as planned.

Start with 50% of them back...and if you are losing what you want...great continue on...but if you feel you are losing too fast and feeling lethargic and weak, eat 75% back for a while and see how you feel.

There is no 1 solution for everyone here...just trial and error.
  • leannecnry332

Do you know anything about BMR as mine has been calculated to 1569 so how does this work on 1200 calories a day and then exercise on top
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member

Do you know anything about BMR as mine has been calculated to 1569 so how does this work on 1200 calories a day and then exercise on top

bmr stands for basal metabolic rate, so the base metabolism for your body in a given day. what the bmr means is how many calories your body would burn if you did absolutely nothing in a day, just lied in bed breathing. so, your bmr is what your body would burn in a coma.

so since youre fairly active, on your feet during your workday i think you said, you will burn a lot more than your bmr without exercise. even someone "sedentary" with a desk job would burn more than their bmr, because they are awake and getting up to eat and use the restroom. does that make sense?
  • leannecnry332

bmr stands for basal metabolic rate, so the base metabolism for your body in a given day. what the bmr means is how many calories your body would burn if you did absolutely nothing in a day, just lied in bed breathing. so, your bmr is what your body would burn in a coma.

so since youre fairly active, on your feet during your workday i think you said, you will burn a lot more than your bmr without exercise. even someone "sedentary" with a desk job would burn more than their bmr, because they are awake and getting up to eat and use the restroom. does that make sense?

It does kind of make sense I think sorry for all the questions just trying to get my head around it all