Former Weight Watcher

Hi all! My name is Bridget and yes, I'm a former Weight Watcher. I loved the program but it got to be to much...to much money, to much Oprah hype, to many things to purchase for program management. So here I am giving this a shot. I'm looking for a much needed support group as we travel on this journey.

Replies

• eightof11
    eightof11 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Bridget
    Welcome! I'm Mary. I have been off and on with MFP for a while but recently decided to come back in and do it right this time. One new thing I've done is started being a part of the community and adding new friends. Seeing the accomplishments of others and the encouragement others give has been inspiring. If you want to do the friend track feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • mgunters5
    mgunters5 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi Bridget! I am a former WW also and had great success with the Points/Points Plus program. Got away from it and gained most of the weight back that I had worked so hard to lose. Very disappointing!! I tried the online with the new Smart Points and hated it! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have found that it's easier on this weight loss journey if you have people to share your struggles/successes with!
  • marywal1963
    marywal1963 Posts: 23 Member
    Hi Bridget, I'm with you. I, too, am a former WW. It is definitely costly and when you're at goal (and it's suppose to be free at that point) and they tell you that you owe $15 because you were late (1 week over) in getting your monthly weigh-in, that's just plain cheap and really turned me off. So, I stopped going because of principle but since quitting, I, unfortunately, did regain 12 lbs of the 35 lbs that I lost so, now I'm nipping this in the bud and starting over by joining MFP. So far, I'm doing well and everyone seems to be really supportive and nice and best of all it's FREE.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    If it's free it's for me! WW is a waste of money imho. Back before mfp was an option I used it with some success but I hated how much it cost
  • Designer20698
    Designer20698 Posts: 23 Member
    It made me kind of sad to quit because I had made some really good friends at the meetings. But I've been very good about tracking my food and exercise with MFP and it seems to be doing just as well for me. Has anyone upgraded to the premium grade here? Just wondering if it is worth the cost. Not that $50 for a year is bad as I was paying that to WW every month. LOL! What is the "extra" stuff for upgrading?
  • Designer20698
    Designer20698 Posts: 23 Member
    BTW, how do I add someone as a friend?
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    I too am a former WW participant.

I find the app for this to be far superior to the WW app.
  • meganmbland
    meganmbland Posts: 2 Member
    I too was a weight watcher. I love the program but it became too expensive. I have sadly put on all the weight I had lost. I'm looking for people that can help me feel supported on my weight-loss journey.
  • Daisyhatespeach
    Daisyhatespeach Posts: 51 Member
    Another former weight watcher :)
  • charityweb6
    charityweb6 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm just starting out with ~50 pounds to lose, so I joined WW online just last week. In my opinion, their website/app were not nearly as nice as MFP--surprising, you would think it would be easier to use and have more features--so I ended up canceling my online WW membership after only 2 days. They refused to refund my money, and I ended up paying $40 for nothing, but I'm very glad I found MFP! I've tracked food and exercise three days in a row now, and I'll "weigh in" once a week just like I would have with WW. Thank you MFP!
  • RijbroekBride
    RijbroekBride Posts: 5 Member
    I've used both WW and MFP in the past and always had faster / longer lasting results with MFP... Not to mention a heavier purse! You picked the right program.
  • kblkmw
    kblkmw Posts: 9 Member
    Hello All!
    I too am a former Weight Watcher. Lost 42 pounds seven years ago and became a lifetime member. Lost it on momentum. Stayed within two pounds of goal for five years but now I gained back 12 of original weight loss. Tried smart points but quit when I logged a cupcake at 23 points!! Yikes. Too restrictive. I just joined MFP today and hoping to lose weight by summer's end.
    I too would like to be friends with anyone who is willing! Thanks!
  • sandydiane
    sandydiane Posts: 19 Member
    I'm also doing map and thinking of quitting weight watchers. I do like the weight watchers connect part so I'm uncertain what to do.
  • austinartgirl
    austinartgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Former WW! Lost -100 lbs and have kept 85 off for over 10 years now. I've been doing MFP for a few years and love it. I have not lost that 15 lbs. that I regained from returning back to full-time work 1.5 years ago. Still, I am proud of my accomplishments. WW got the ball moving for me but as others have said, I got tired of the marketing and sub-par apps for a high price. I need MFP friends! I could use the support and would be happy to give some, too.
  • kackara
    kackara Posts: 2 Member
    I too am a former ww, although I was on it for only a couple of weeks I found it hard to get my head round.
    I prefer the calorie counting although some days I do struggle to eat the 1780 calories a day it says I should have. I love doing my walking and that also tells me the calories I have burned which is a great boost in itself, wished I'd been told about mfp yrs ago, perhaps I'm just a dinasour when it comes to modern technology lol.... feel free to add me and anyone else please.
  • a_healthy_new_me
    a_healthy_new_me Posts: 3 Member
    Former WW here too... just started MFP today ... anyone feel free to add me, I need as much support as I can get to get rid of these last 20 pounds :)
  • katiemwalsh05
    katiemwalsh05 Posts: 2 Member
    I also am a former WW - the smart points program was a little too much for me. I felt like I was giving up my favorite foods and that doesn't work for me when I'm trying to lose weight. I'm hoping this will do the trick!
  • pgfitmom
    pgfitmom Posts: 37 Member
    I cancelled my monthly pass with WW just this week. I'm not finding the meetings inspiring though, so I'm not going. I was considering signing up for the online program only... but I don't think I'm going to go ahead with that. I'm starting to build a network of people here. I need that to keep motivated when times are tough.
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Been on both ww and mfp. the only time i got close to goal was when on mfp.
  • RiRi1588
    RiRi1588 Posts: 24 Member
    ** my opinion ** Weight Watchers is a waste of money, trust me I tried it as well. You're paying to learn nutritional advice you can find in so many online forums, blogs or articles. MFP has way more support if you utilize it to its full potential, this community has been amazing! Glad you're saving yourself the membership fees and now that money can be put towards more healthy foods or anything else ;)
  • kiwiknit
    kiwiknit Posts: 2 Member
    I am a former WW member too. I got to goal a couple of years ago but the weight is creeping back on, up about 8 kilos. It was my second time around. Was considering going back as it did work both times for me, I really liked the accountability and structure but was put off by a few things. Firstly it is SO expensive for pretty mediocre advice, lots of processed food anyone? Next I really didn't like either leader at my meeting place. Both were overweight and increasing, they had previously hit goal. I know how hard it is to stay at goal but it is difficult to stay motivated when neither leader can manage it on the program. All they did was talk, talk, sell, sell, sell and not listen. (Although maybe the leaders have changed by now). Lastly I am vegan and would have to avoid talking about it as the environment was very vegan unfriendly. I was repeatly told I couldn't meet my nutritional requirements on a vegan diet, it really bothered my main leader. The only reason she ending up knowing as she kept pushing all the WW snacks, chocolates and cookbooks on me and I would always refuse. Used to crack me up as "wasting away" was hardly my problem. I eat a really balanced diet just too much of it. However the other members were terrific and I found the overall environment supportive.
    Anyway I am in a quandary, hence my long babble! I really want to lose this weight and are seriously considering returning to WW. How successful are you all finding MFP? I have used it to track my food and excerise but not much more.
  • vivadreamgk377
    vivadreamgk377 Posts: 4 Member
    To add someone go to friends and hit the plus button top right. Hope this helps. Add please
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited July 2016
    If you need a real life connection check out a T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly). It is much less expensive and you can follow the diet plan you want. Chapters very, so you might want to visit more than one if possible.

Http://www.tops.org
  • Somebrina
    Somebrina Posts: 15 Member
    Recently quit WW also. I lost 135 at my lowest weight and was lifetime for 2 years. I was still lifetime when I left, but it was just so hard to stay within their range. It's like it sucked the fun out of everything I did. I did learn a lot but after maintaining for so long it felt more like just fighting myself to not to be "punished" by having to pay if I gained a few pounds. I have gained back 30 pounds and am looking to lose 15-20 of those again. That last 10 pounds I needed to stay lifetime was so not worth it and am hoping mfp works for me.
  • ArtthurCarlson
    ArtthurCarlson Posts: 32 Member
    Former WW here, also. I'd certainly welcome any friend requests :)
  • Djdj031369
    Djdj031369 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi! I'm also a former WW gal. I lost 30 lbs while on the program 2 years ago. Now I've gained most of that back. I'd love some friends to do this with. No judgement and positive attitudes to lift each other up. Here's to the new us!!!
  • Packergal27
    Packergal27 Posts: 11 Member
    I am also a former WW member. I loved the program and the leaders I had. I lost 40# over a few years, many years ago. When my husband lost his job I had to quit, because we couldn't afford it anymore. This was during the Points phase and before Points+. I eventually gained it all back, and more :( My doctor suggested I try MFP to log my food and exercise. I thought 'why not? it's free.' I started logging in February 2015 and have logged every day since until 5 days ago while on vacation. Now I have to start my streak all over again!

I have made some good, supportive friends on MFP, and try to be encouraging to them as well. If anyone would like to friend me, just indicate WW so I know where you saw my post and will accept you.
  • __Margaret
    __Margaret Posts: 4 Member
    I'm a former WW member as well. I just couldn't get on with Smart Points at all. I would love to find some friends on this :)
  • Jeanettepelser
    Jeanettepelser Posts: 1 Member
    Also a former WW member. Not familiar with the points p or smart points system. Where can I find a pp/am foodlist as guidance? We don't have an agent in my town and I have to pay R800 just to get the guidelines online....Don't think it''s worth the money. There are so many blogs and forums to help. Just can't find a complete foodlist with the correct pp or sm points.
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    I love all the positive people and comments on this post! I have struggled with weight loss my whole life and have been a weight watcher member a few times, but the cost got crazy. I'm looking for some inspirational friends to connect with as we shed these lbs! I hope you all add me as a friend. Maybe we can share recipes?!