If it's fat free/ sugar free/ protein free?

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
for fat free/ sugar free pudding mix... It ranges from 25-40 cals per serving depending on flavor. But where do they come from? I know they list 8 grams of carbs, but are they counting the artificial sweeteners? Couldn't they technically list it as zero cals if it is, or are those calories and carbs coming from different sources? I'm just curious cause I wouldn't count a sugar free product w/ sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners into my daily count, so didn't know where these cals or carbs came from on the pudding mix? Not too worried about it just curious on your thoughts. I do know some art. sweeteners contain 2-4 calories, but didn't know if that's where they were getting it from or not

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols do usually carry a calorie count, though it is about half (or less in the case of Erythritol) of a normal carb.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Instant puddings likely contain mostly cornstarch or other thickeners, which do have calories (from carbohydrate). That is likely the source of the 25-40 calories per serving that you reference above.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Awesome, that's what I though. thanks!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Funny, when I read your title I immediately thought "cornstarch"! Don't forget carbs means starch as well as sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ....and the volume comes from water. You can check this out for yourself. Put a cup of water to boil and add a tablespoon of cornstarch (thinned in a couple tablespoons of COLD water). Keep at a simmer and whisk briskly until thickened - a few minutes. This is your low cal pudding without the colouring and flavouring.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Funny, when I read your title I immediately thought "cornstarch"! Don't forget carbs means starch as well as sugar.

What about baking powder??