Ketogenic lifestyle

Options
Hi there. I started the Ketogenic diet two weeks ago today and have lost 9lb. I am so thrilled with this eating plan and feel great right now. I've been listening to Dr Daniel Pompa talks for quite some time and love his talks. I've learnt so much about this way of eating and all the amazing health benefits involved. After years of trying many different weight loss plans, most recently the Cambridge plan, I have finally found the one that suits me best, and feel so positive that the weight will continue to fall off and that I won't give up this time.

I am also doing Intermittent Fasting with this plan, which works so well for me. I already see a huge difference in my skin, eyes, etc. Dr Pompa said that the ketostix weren't accurate and that it's best to buy a blood ketone monitor, and that the measurements should be between 0.5 and 5. My monitor arrived on Thursday and my reading was 4.3. Friday it was 4.6 and yesterday it was 4.3 again. Today it measured 5.4. I had a few drinks last night as I decided to allow myself this every other week, so I expected my measurement to be lower this morning, but it was higher. I thought the higher the reading the more in ketosis and fat burning mode you are, so can't understand why the reading is higher the day after having a few vodka's and blueberry juice. I'm now wondering if the lower reading means the higher in ketosis you are. Does anyone know about these monitors? I'm using the Freestlye Optimum one.

Thanks,

Maria

Replies

• jbailey3557
    jbailey3557 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also doing the Keto diet I am having trouble with the sticks as well. Can I ask where you purchased you blood meter from. I know that optimal us 1.5-3. 1.5 is lowest n 3 is highest. .5-1.4 is trace but it's still ketosis just not optimal where your body is burning at its best. Anything higher is just a waste. I hope that helps some. I've been doing the Keto way of life for about three weeks now. I've lost 9 pounds m feel overall great. I need to lose about 10-15 more. It's frustrating bc the closer you are to goal to slower you lose. Just curious as to where you purchased your monitor and did the blood sticks come with them. Roughly how much
    Thanks
  • themagicalmatt
    themagicalmatt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I keeps it keto, down 60. Let's high five at the finish lines
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • JusMeCDV
    JusMeCDV Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    He'll outcries to get onto the link but it doesn't take me anywhere, even after I joined...

I am a diabetic and am looking into the keto diet and would appreciate information on how to get started, recipes, meal plans and how to figure out what my calorie intake and macros should be.

Thank you
  • Gym4life1972
    Gym4life1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know it's bodybuilding but it has alot of info. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?61
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    JusMeCDV wrote: »
    He'll outcries to get onto the link but it doesn't take me anywhere, even after I joined...

I am a diabetic and am looking into the keto diet and would appreciate information on how to get started, recipes, meal plans and how to figure out what my calorie intake and macros should be.

Thank you

Copy and paste the link into your browser once you are logged into MFP. That should take you directly to the group.
  • JusMeCDV
    JusMeCDV Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladipoet I will do that☺️