Just found out I am pre-diabetic,

Options
And I'm scared. Guess I'll lose some weight though, eh?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look at this way; diabetes is very controllable disease. There are lots of classes you can sign up for; there's a lot to learn. Losing weight can put the T2 diabetes back in to remission. It has for me.
  • tnevin225
    tnevin225 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can beat this. I recommend looking into the Keto Lifestyle. There is a ton of info on the net about it and it especially helps with symptoms from to much sugar and Grains. Might want to read a few books, called Keto Clarity and Keto Adapted, also Grain Brain and Wheat Belly are good reads also. Thy are available on Audible too if you want to listen to them like I did. I have been on Keto abt 2 Weeks and can't believe the difference already,the pain in my feet is down by 25%, the allover inflammation is down by 20-25% energy levels are up by 15-20% and so much more. I know its hard to get started on this, catting all grain and processed food from your diet is hard but can be done. Add me if you need support on this be glad to help. Good Luck, Stay Strong and Master the Journey
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed prediabetic last year and have gone low carb. Not quite keto yet as @tnevin225 said but I'm probably on my way. I'm losing weight and am maintaining at prediabetic rather than going full out diabetes. It's a little hard at first, but it gets easier and the support here is amazing. It will get better.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I too was once diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I no longer am thanks to following a ketogenic lifestyle. You can read the full story on my profile. If you are interested in learning more about this way of eating (WOE), I suggest you check out the main low carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Getting a diagnosis that I had gone over the line from pre-diabetic to diabetic definitely scared me. It gave me the motivation to get low carb ... Get exercise every day... and lose weight. The result, my fasting blood sugar is normal, my A1C is normal, and I have done this without medication. I have days when my carbs are low enough to qualify for keto, but most of the time I just keep it to 90 carbs a day and never more than 30 carbs at one meal. I have days when I am not perfect and it still works.

I have more weight to lose and I have to make this a way of life but, it is definitely doable. It beats suffering the effects of diabetes.

By the way, I am over 60 and we have a great, supportive group, 60 years old and over is the name of it. Feel free to join us and check it out. That group has really made a difference in my ability to stay on track. Best of luck!
  • cycling_cyclops
    cycling_cyclops Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1 diabetic. Personally, a low-carb diet is awesome for my blood sugar levels!

A word of advice: be aware of the nuts. Nuts are kinda low-carb, but those carbs can add up with each mindless handful.

You've got this! Think of this as your opportunity to nurture your body!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Not unusual if you're overweight. Often, getting the weight down turns it around. Cutting carbs, as others have said, can help too.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic for some time. I went to my Dr in Jan and my A1C was 7.4 The previous 3x were 6.2, 6.4, and 6.4. My Dr wanted to put me on Meds. I weighed 307.6#

I said I will try and lose weight first. My Dr. did NOT say go Low Carb or anything else. He said get active and lose weight. I failed in Feb..tried to exercise and just quit. On Fen 29th I weighed in and was 308# and I thought..if I don't do something now at 57 years old, morbidly obese and perhaps diabetic, I probably never would.

I put myself on a low calorie diet. 1200-1330 calories a day and started riding my stationary bike as I could. I started maybe 5-10 minutes a.m. and p.m. I increased over time, and kept my calories in the 1200-1300 range.

On April 28th I went back to my Dr. I weighed in at 273# and my A1C was 5.4!! My Dr was amazed and very happy. He sat down and had me tell him how I did it. No, your calories are too low, nothing about my carbs or macros. He said , keep doing what you're doing and I should have you come in and talk to the other patients.

I go back on July 28th. I weighed in Monday @ 250.0 pounds..down 58 pounds. I ride now 60-75 minutes a day.

The point is..Low Carbs is NOT the only answer for holding off diabetes. Get active and lose weight. I also cut out ALL soda.

I see this recommended all the time for people who say they are pre-diabetic...Low Carb is the answer. TRUTH is it is one answer and NOT the only answer, nor possibly the best answer, depending on the individual.

Do your research and talk with your Doc.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You got this! Believe in yourself and you are halfway there!
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I see this recommended all the time for people who say they are pre-diabetic...Low Carb is the answer. TRUTH is it is one answer and NOT the only answer, nor possibly the best answer, depending on the individual.

Do your research and talk with your Doc.

This
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic for some time. I went to my Dr in Jan and my A1C was 7.4 The previous 3x were 6.2, 6.4, and 6.4. My Dr wanted to put me on Meds. I weighed 307.6#

I said I will try and lose weight first. My Dr. did NOT say go Low Carb or anything else. He said get active and lose weight. I failed in Feb..tried to exercise and just quit. On Fen 29th I weighed in and was 308# and I thought..if I don't do something now at 57 years old, morbidly obese and perhaps diabetic, I probably never would.

I put myself on a low calorie diet. 1200-1330 calories a day and started riding my stationary bike as I could. I started maybe 5-10 minutes a.m. and p.m. I increased over time, and kept my calories in the 1200-1300 range.

On April 28th I went back to my Dr. I weighed in at 273# and my A1C was 5.4!! My Dr was amazed and very happy. He sat down and had me tell him how I did it. No, your calories are too low, nothing about my carbs or macros. He said , keep doing what you're doing and I should have you come in and talk to the other patients.

I go back on July 28th. I weighed in Monday @ 250.0 pounds..down 58 pounds. I ride now 60-75 minutes a day.

The point is..Low Carbs is NOT the only answer for holding off diabetes. Get active and lose weight. I also cut out ALL soda.

Do your research and talk with your Doc.[/quotequote

I was on meds made it hard to exercise because my blood sugar would drop to low, had to carry fiber bars with me. Didn't cut calories until I had exercise under my belt. Lost 105lbs and no more meds! I always eat my exercise calories and I bike everyday. No need to do keto, just cut the junk food and up your fiber. I gave up things like white rice and replaced it with barely. It has to be for life so splurge a little as long as you have the calories, don't beat yourself up when things get ugly, but don't wait until tomorrow to get back on track, do it with the next mouthful.