Ideal weight for me when I'm 5'4

So I'm very confused on how to figure out a good weight for me based on the info I have about myself. I am 5'4 and 192 lbs and my body fat is 38% which means I couldn't go below like 150lbs. Does that sound right? If anyone could break down how much I'd need to weigh to get to 30% bf, 27% bf, and 25% bf for me and help me understand all this that'd be awesome! Is it normal that I'd weigh that much at 5'4 but still have a good body fat range?

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Hard to know as you are very overweight. Are you well built? I think 130-140 lbs should be your goal
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2016
    So I'm very confused on how to figure out a good weight for me based on the info I have about myself. I am 5'4 and 192 lbs and my body fat is 38% which means I couldn't go below like 150lbs. Does that sound right? If anyone could break down how much I'd need to weigh to get to 30% bf, 27% bf, and 25% bf for me and help me understand all this that'd be awesome! Is it normal that I'd weigh that much at 5'4 but still have a good body fat range?

I'm not sure where you got the info that you can't go below 150 lbs. Also, two people can weigh the same but have very different % body fat. How did you figure out your body fat %? Are you male or female? Do you do a lot of strength training?
    Going strictly by BMI, being 5'4" and 190 lbs is considered obese (unless you're a body builder).
    I agree that you should be at the weight where you feel best.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Wait... What am I missing here? Where did you get the 150 minimum from? Because you're 38% body fat now? Maybe I'm reading it wrong or math stuff.

150 is at the very top of healthy range for your height (based on bmi). It could be a point into overweight, I can't remember.

Try to get to 150 and evaluate from there!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm 5"8 and 143-147lbs is just right for my frame. I go more with how i look in the mirror and how my clothes fit then some arbitrary number. Although admittedly I do rely on those damn scale numbers too much, it's a very hard habit that im trying to break. .
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I'm 5'5" and am currently 125. I'm approximately 23% BF. I agree that below 150 is a good start.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    I'm 5'4" and I'm currently 147 lbs (down from 173); I'm considered over weight based on BMI. I plan on getting down to 125 - 130 lbs. I think that 150 is a good starting point for you and you can reevaluate from there.
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    I am just under 5'5'' and currently a 142 pounds and a US size 6. There is no magic number. I am a smaller size now than when I weighed 130 pounds in my 20's. My final goal weight for now is 135 pounds. Once I hit that goal I will see if I need to set a new one. The important thing is how your clothing is fitting...and how you are feeling.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I think 140 is about the top of a healthy weight range for 5'4".

It depends on your body fat percentage and where you are happy. I'm 5'4" and in my profile pic I'm 3 different weights, 128, 144, and 140 on the bottom. I find that I like to be around 133. I look little and lean there if I'm around 18-20% body fat. I have friends who are 5'4" who have higher body fat percentages and feel better down near 120.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    You don't say how old you are. When I was a teenager I was 5'5" and weighed 125, but now I am 5'4" and age 53...doc says 140, but I'm going for 135
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    I'm 5'2", and my body's happy weight is 125 unless I pack on muscle. I'm pretty solidly built anyway though. I'm currently 150 and definitely 20 lbs overweight, so I'd guess that for your height, 150 is a good goal and then reevaluate. It's just a number - really it's more about how you feel, how your clothes fit, et cetera. It's easy to get lost in the number. Good luck!
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    I am 5'4", 53 and started at 194. I am now 157 and I am working towards 130.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    I'm 31, 5'4", and 130lbs. This was my original goal weight but now that I'm here I'm finding I still have more fat around my middle than I'd like so I plan to keep going (eventually, maintaining at the moment).
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    You know, you can just stick with 150 and reevaluate when you get there. I'm 5'5", BF % of 27% and 145lbs. I still have 10lbs to go for my goal. As well as about 5% in bodyfat (I measure with calipers btw). My original goal was 150 and I changed it when I got down to it as I wasn't even close to where I wanted to be.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I am assuming you are looking at your BF% right now and figuring your lean mass and assuming you will keep the same lean mass, using a BF% goal and figuring the weight from there.

If so, keep in mind -
    #1 - most methods of estimating BF% are inaccurate.
    #2 - you will lose lean mass in the process. It is inevitable. How much depends on a number of factors. But assume you LBM will go down as your weight goes down.

So. Aim for 150. When you get there, look in the mirror. Are you where you want to be? Adjust goals from there.

I'm 5'5. 150 is my pretty happy spot. It's the top end of the weight for my height but I am fairly lean at 150.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    I'm 5' 4" currently at 130. I'm pear shaped so still have quite a bit extra on my lower half. Agree with everyone else that you should get to 150 and evaluate from there. Everyone is comfortable at a different weight.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I'm 5'4" and nowhere near goal, but 145 lbs will get you to a BMI of 24.9. As you lose, you won't just lose fat. Some lean body mass loss is inevitable, although there are things you can do to preserve as much as possible.

I suggest getting to somewhere between 140-150 and then deciding if you want to continue to lose, or if you just want to recomp at that point.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    I am 5'8", currently 173. Happy weight is 140. That takes a lot of work! I am aiming right now for 150 and then see where we are.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    drabbits2 wrote: »
    I am 5'8", currently 173. Happy weight is 140. That takes a lot of work! I am aiming right now for 150 and then see where we are.

5'4" is not really close to 5'8"
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm 5'4 currently 140ish lbs and 23% body fat. My goal is 18% and I think that'll bottom me out around 115 - but I'll let you know when I get there, hah! Honestly it depends on your frame and your goals. Mine is whichever I get to first: 18% body fat, 115 lbs or a size 2.