Keto

Options
Looking for friends doing Keto,just started and could really use some help with food ideas.Also wondering if 50 grams of carbs is too much.Thanks
«1

Replies

  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This site will save your sanity: http://ruled.me/ So, so very many fantastic recipes on that site, for every meal, and various snacks.
    As for the carbs: it's an individual thing. You may go into ketosis at 50g, you may not. I started at sub-15g, and ticked up a bit until I noticed that I was starting to feel like hell again. Once your body keto adapts, falling out of it will be obvious (seriously, don't waste money on Ketostix, as they aren't meant to measure what you are looking for and I still facepalm when I read about people stressing over them).
  • Chameleon80
    Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch Gallowmere1.How do I know I've reached ketosis?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way is to test blood ketone levels, but the stuff for that can be a bit on the expensive side. Barring that, you'll know because you'll go through about a one to three day period where you feel like utter miserable crap, have no energy, might express flu-like symptoms, etc. This is your body telling you that it's out of easy to use fuel (glucose) and it's not happy about it. After those symptoms have subsided, your body has started to use the ketones produced by fat oxidation in their place.
    Just make sure you keep your fat intake up properly, or you may find that those symptoms don't go away so easily.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This group is where most MFP ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    Ketosis is achieved when you use fat oxidation for energy, usually when carbs are fewer than (approx) 130g per day. A ketogenic diet is generally when a person is making at least half of that glucose demand from dietary protein. Under 50g per day will usually do it, especially if you are active. Some of us prefer to eat lower carbs (often around 20g) in order to get more of the benefits of a very LCHF diet.

    You can use ketostix to check if you are spilling ketones into your urine. If you test positive at all, you are in ketosis. Breath and blood tests are more reliable but cost more.

    After a few days of less than 50g of carbs per day, you probably would measure positive for ketosis. If you are inactive, you may want to go lower. I stuck to 20g of carbs for about a year.

    I advise increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg to avoid the low carb flu, which is actually an electrolyte imbalance due to water loss.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch Gallowmere1.How do I know I've reached ketosis?

    I bought keto strips from Walgreens. You pee on a stick and the color will vary and show you how much ketosis you are experiencing. I think a pack of 50 was like $12.


  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Looking for friends doing Keto,just started and could really use some help with food ideas.Also wondering if 50 grams of carbs is too much.Thanks

    50 net grams or less is what I've heard. Carbs minus grams of fiber = net carbs
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This group is where most MFP ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    Ketosis is achieved when you use fat oxidation for energy, usually when carbs are fewer than (approx) 130g per day. A ketogenic diet is generally when a person is making at least half of that glucose demand from dietary protein. Under 50g per day will usually do it, especially if you are active. Some of us prefer to eat lower carbs (often around 20g) in order to get more of the benefits of a very LCHF diet.

    You can use ketostix to check if you are spilling ketones into your urine. If you test positive at all, you are in ketosis. Breath and blood tests are more reliable but cost more.

    After a few days of less than 50g of carbs per day, you probably would measure positive for ketosis. If you are inactive, you may want to go lower. I stuck to 20g of carbs for about a year.

    I advise increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg to avoid the low carb flu, which is actually an electrolyte imbalance due to water loss.

    Yeah... Avoid really working out for the first 2 weeks. The "carb flu" can be brutal.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This group is where most MFP ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    Ketosis is achieved when you use fat oxidation for energy, usually when carbs are fewer than (approx) 130g per day. A ketogenic diet is generally when a person is making at least half of that glucose demand from dietary protein. Under 50g per day will usually do it, especially if you are active. Some of us prefer to eat lower carbs (often around 20g) in order to get more of the benefits of a very LCHF diet.

    You can use ketostix to check if you are spilling ketones into your urine. If you test positive at all, you are in ketosis. Breath and blood tests are more reliable but cost more.

    After a few days of less than 50g of carbs per day, you probably would measure positive for ketosis. If you are inactive, you may want to go lower. I stuck to 20g of carbs for about a year.

    I advise increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg to avoid the low carb flu, which is actually an electrolyte imbalance due to water loss.

    Yeah... Avoid really working out for the first 2 weeks. The "carb flu" can be brutal.

    I worked out in the first 2 weeks. I was sweating a lot more than usual and my strength and endurance was less but otherwise I was fine. If you do workout make sure that you're extra vigilant about keeping electrolytes up.
  • Chameleon80
    Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This group is where most MFP ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    Ketosis is achieved when you use fat oxidation for energy, usually when carbs are fewer than (approx) 130g per day. A ketogenic diet is generally when a person is making at least half of that glucose demand from dietary protein. Under 50g per day will usually do it, especially if you are active. Some of us prefer to eat lower carbs (often around 20g) in order to get more of the benefits of a very LCHF diet.

    You can use ketostix to check if you are spilling ketones into your urine. If you test positive at all, you are in ketosis. Breath and blood tests are more reliable but cost more.

    After a few days of less than 50g of carbs per day, you probably would measure positive for ketosis. If you are inactive, you may want to go lower. I stuck to 20g of carbs for about a year.

    I advise increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg to avoid the low carb flu, which is actually an electrolyte imbalance due to water loss.

    Yeah... Avoid really working out for the first 2 weeks. The "carb flu" can be brutal.

    I worked out in the first 2 weeks. I was sweating a lot more than usual and my strength and endurance was less but otherwise I was fine. If you do workout make sure that you're extra vigilant about keeping electrolytes up.

  • Chameleon80
    Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Kimo159.I accidentally declined ur FR could u please resend, I can't seem to add u
  • Chameleon80
    Chameleon80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,I definitely feel weak and sickish,And it's only been about 3 days.Thank u all for the info
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 as well! Done keto before though. Not feeling too bad, but afternoons at work are a little rough.
  • chadgeauvreau
    chadgeauvreau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in ketosis. Have been for about 6 months. I range from 1.2 to 2.0 mmol
    I never experienced any flu like symptoms but I suspect it's because I was off sugar or anything that converted to sugar for over a year. You need to gradually ease into a ketogenic diet if you currently eat a traditional western diet.
    Anyhow...any questions you have I would be happy to try to help.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This group is where most MFP ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    Ketosis is achieved when you use fat oxidation for energy, usually when carbs are fewer than (approx) 130g per day. A ketogenic diet is generally when a person is making at least half of that glucose demand from dietary protein. Under 50g per day will usually do it, especially if you are active. Some of us prefer to eat lower carbs (often around 20g) in order to get more of the benefits of a very LCHF diet.

    You can use ketostix to check if you are spilling ketones into your urine. If you test positive at all, you are in ketosis. Breath and blood tests are more reliable but cost more.

    After a few days of less than 50g of carbs per day, you probably would measure positive for ketosis. If you are inactive, you may want to go lower. I stuck to 20g of carbs for about a year.

    I advise increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg to avoid the low carb flu, which is actually an electrolyte imbalance due to water loss.

    Yeah... Avoid really working out for the first 2 weeks. The "carb flu" can be brutal.

    That's probably the electrolyte imbalance. If you drink broth or take salt tablets you can avoid this. There may be a bit of weakness while your body adjusts to burning fat, but when it is desribed as brital, my guess is low sodium.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was lucky, when I did keto I eased into it, and i was bracing myself for the keto flu. But it never came.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Been on Keto for 3 years. Got off the train for about 4 months (IIFYM - big mistake) but then returned promptly after gaining 12 lbs. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    Been on Keto for 3 years. Got off the train for about 4 months (IIFYM - big mistake) but then returned promptly after gaining 12 lbs. :)

    @TrailNurse why do you think you gained weight? I've always assumed that when people come off of low carb that they'd stick to the same amount of calories that they were eating when they lost weight, to continue to lose, or if they're maintaining, stick to their maintenance calories to ensure they don't gain any weight.
  • seanpook
    seanpook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lot of that will be water weight as muscles refill with glycogen
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    seanpook wrote: »
    A lot of that will be water weight as muscles refill with glycogen

    Agreed. I put on 2kgs when i stopped low carbing, which dissappeared in a couple of weeks.
    But the above poster said they gained 12lbs, that aint water weight..

  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    Looking for friends doing Keto,just started and could really use some help with food ideas.Also wondering if 50 grams of carbs is too much.Thanks

    50 net grams or less is what I've heard. Carbs minus grams of fiber = net carbs

    would love food pictures of low or lower carb mfp friends