Despite diet & exercise I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT! Please help!

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    How about your feet... Have they grown? And has your face changed? Your post reminded me of this article. Everyone told her she was eating more than she thought, too. She went to dr after dr before getting a diagnosis. Certainly this is the rare exception, and most people ARE eating more than they think, but very fast changes merit a closer medical look in addition to greater tracking accuracy. Best of luck!

The link didn't work. :(
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Just a reminder: muscle is NOT heavier than fat. That is a fact.

Yes, it is. When we say one substance is heavier than another, the assumption is that we're talking about equal volumes, otherwise it's meaningless. In the same way that lead is heavier than cheese, muscle is heavier than fat.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 pound of muscle still equals 1 pound of fat, but the pound of muscle will take up less space.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle still equals 1 cubic inch of fat, but the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more.

Both are true. By your reckoning we can never, ever say that any one substance is heavier than another, which limits us somewhat.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm 46, used to be very athletic, toned, and active. I don't eat pasta, bread, wheat. I eat lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats. No added sugar, only 1/2 cup of blueberries ever other day.
    Out of nowhere (no major changes to my level of physical exercise or diet) I started gaining 5lbs a week. Within 6 months I gained 36% of my weight. My skin is having a heck of a time trying to contain this mass gain.
    Per my food log and fit bit I'm at a deficit of 500-800 calories everyday. I should be losing a ton of weight, not gaining!
    My thyroid is fine per an endocrinologist.

Has anyone seen or experienced such a thing??!! The doctors have been useless and I continue to pack on the fat. I've lost my toned muscles.
    ...edited because I see my question was answered.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Yes, it is. When we say one substance is heavier than another, the assumption is that we're talking about equal volumes, otherwise it's meaningless. In the same way that lead is heavier than cheese, muscle is heavier than fat.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 pound of muscle still equals 1 pound of fat, but the pound of muscle will take up less space.

No, muscle is more DENSE than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle still equals 1 cubic inch of fat, but the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more.

Both are true. By your reckoning we can never, ever say that any one substance is heavier than another, which limits us somewhat.

Her last sentence reads, "...the cubic inch of muscle will weigh more [than cubic inch of fat]."
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Out of nowhere (no major changes to my level of physical exercise or diet) I started gaining 5lbs a week. Within 6 months I gained 36% of my weight. My skin is having a heck of a time trying to contain this mass gain.
    Per my food log and fit bit I'm at a deficit of 500-800 calories everyday.

Are you saying that you've been gaining 5 pounds a week, every week, for the last 6 months?!! Because if that's true, and you haven't changed your diet/exercise, then you need to see another doctor ASAP. Something is very, very wrong to gain that much weight so quickly.

Or are you saying that you've gained 5 lbs total since you started working out and dieting? Because in that case you're either overestimating what you're eating and not logging accurately, or retaining water in your muscles.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zoink66 wrote: »
    Per my food log and fit bit I'm at a deficit of 500-800 calories everyday.

Are you saying that you've been gaining 5 pounds a week, every week, for the last 6 months?!! Because if that's true, and you haven't changed your diet/exercise, then you need to see another doctor ASAP. Something is very, very wrong to gain that much weight so quickly.

Or are you saying that you've gained 5 lbs total since you started working out and dieting? Because in that case you're either overestimating what you're eating and not logging accurately, or retaining water in your muscles.

I agree with this, is it per week or all together?

Gaining 5lb per week, every week, would entail a massive amount of over eating which I'm sure you'd be aware of.. If you calories in/out have remained consistent then a doctors visit is definitely needed.

If you've gained 5lbs over 6mths, then calorie tweaking is all that is necessary.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining that much that fast you need to see a doctor. That's not normal and it would be impossible to eat that many calories by accident.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I think you may have missed my point. Both are opposing ways of saying the same thing. Claiming one is inaccurate while lauding the other as true is a pet peeve of mine.

Dianne, I understand what you are explaining in your post. I don't understand what Ciara is objecting to? I wonder if she clicked and quoted the wrong post?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, used to be very athletic, toned, and active. I don't eat pasta, bread, wheat. I eat lean protein, veggies, and healthy fats. No added sugar, only 1/2 cup of blueberries ever other day.
    Per my food log and fit bit I'm at a deficit of 500-800 calories everyday. I should be losing a ton of weight, not gaining!
    My thyroid is fine per an endocrinologist.

Has anyone seen or experienced such a thing??!! The doctors have been useless and I continue to pack on the fat. I've lost my toned muscles.

35 pounds of fat happens from eating too much. You need to find a way to eat in a calorie deficit and then you will lose weight. What has worked for me, and for many others, is weighing food and logging everything you eat.

About exercise: are you logging other exercise as well as using your fit bit? I've heard fit bits can overestimate calories burned. You might not want to eat them all back.

Food type has nothing to do with weight management, it's all about how much you eat.

Finally, is your diary open (if you log intake)?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you started some new medications lately? Have you had your heart functioning checked? Are you entering menopause?

I would head back to the doctor, if you are truly gaining 5lb/week for 6 months, there needs to be more investigations done.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Im waiting to see what the diary looks like lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Huh?

Muscle is more dense and takes up less space than fat, but a pound is a pound no matter how you weigh it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    How about your feet... Have they grown? And has your face changed? Your post reminded me of this article. Everyone told her she was eating more than she thought, too. She went to dr after dr before getting a diagnosis. Certainly this is the rare exception, and most people ARE eating more than they think, but very fast changes merit a closer medical look in addition to greater tracking accuracy. Best of luck!

The link didn't work. :(

Apologies. Thy this: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/think-like-a-doctor-packing-on-the-pounds-solved/?_r=0
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Huh?

Muscle is more dense and takes up less space than fat, but a pound is a pound no matter how you weigh it.

When ever any substance is said to weigh more than something else it is always a given that we are talking about the same cubic volume. You never see anyone arguing, "No, Lead is not heavier than feathers. A pound of lead is the same as a pound of feathers." Of course a pound is a pound, but we are talking about the same volume! You compare the same volume. YES, muscle (the same volume by default) is indeed heavier than fat. I will never understand why it is only these two items that anyone ever refuses to compare at the same cubic volume. Everything else they do.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Huffdogg wrote: »

...which means it's heavier. In the same way that bricks are heavier than feathers. "Heavier" means that the same volume has greater mass than an equal volume of the "lighter" material.

Again, exactly my point. They're two different ways of stating the same thing. Why are people so willing to call one out as inaccurate and not the other?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

^^^^This is the only person who claimed that one was true and not the other. Those pesky semantics again.