how do I gain weight keep fit and maintain abs?

Options
I want to gain weight to become stronger and bulk but I don't want my abs to disappear I want to shred them and I also want to stay fit

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It is a very difficult process to gain weight and keep visible abs. You would need to bulk at a very slow process to keep fat gains minimal. And even with that, the amount of muscle you would be able to gain while keeping visible abs is most likely not going to be a tremendous amount, especially if you've already gained some.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Slow bulk. Do TDEE + 250 calories for a gain of 0.5lbs per week or 2lbs per month. Your strength gains will be slower as well but you get to remain more aesthetic. This is opposed to the regular bulk of TDEE + 500 calories (+1lb per week or +4lbs per month).

In addition to the slow bulk, you can do mini 1 month long cuts (TDEE - 500 calories) to regain your leanness i.e. prior to going on vacation to look good on the beach.

Have a look at Omar Isuf's video, he does something similar after his beginner phase (and he trains for aesthetic strength, if you are going for pure aesthetics you can be even leaner than him). I plan on doing the same after my big cut.
  • Fabe1993
    Fabe1993 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for help I watched vid yh I think I'm gonna up the calories so I'm putting on a half pound a week or something like that keep it clean and regularly work my abs so they stand out
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Posts like this make me sad...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fabe1993 wrote: »
    Thanks for help I watched vid yh I think I'm gonna up the calories so I'm putting on a half pound a week or something like that keep it clean and regularly work my abs so they stand out

Just so you know, eating clean wont help maintain visible abs. Not saying you should get a well balanced diet but genetics will determije where fat goes first.
  • Fabe1993
    Fabe1993 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why do posts like this make you sad?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fabe1993 wrote: »
    Why do posts like this make you sad?

Its because keeping abs while trying to bulk is a double standard. We all want to keep our abs, we all want visually see all our hard work everywhere (our arms, legs, butt, abs) and not be covered up by any fat gain, but the inevitable is going to happen when you bulk.. cannot possibly put on weight and some of it not be fat. ;)

You "shred" it by cutting after the bulk. Rinse and repeat until you get the body you want.