Low sodium diet

Options
does anyone have a low sodium diet to follow

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Google search, maybe? Or when you log food here, prelog to see where you are getting sodium in your diet, and reduce those specific foods.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The best advice, read labels. Seriously, read the labels of any foods you buy. You will be surprised where sodium s coming from.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add some meals that you cook from home: instead of instant oatmeal or cereal in a box, eat overnight oatmeal with greek yogurt and fruit and buy more fresh or frozen vegetables.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Big culprits: Fast food, restaurants, boxed foods, highly processed foods.
    Cook everything at home! You'll learn a lot here. Stick to it. Don't give up.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Read labels, look up everything before you eat it, cook at home, maybe pick up some no-salt seasoning. If you live in the US, cutting sodium is SO HARD especially if you want to eat out at any point, ever. Also, drink plenty of water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great way to learn where the salt is in your diet. I found that nearly all the added sodium is in prepackaged prepared meals. As you prepare more foods at home your salt consumption will go down.

I use garlic, onion, and spices to flavour my food instead of salt. I found that vegetables had to be fresh.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi, A few months ago I was put on a low sodium diet. It hasn't been easy but I have been sticking to under 1,500 mg a day. Feel free to friend me and view my diary. Next week won't count, i'm going on vacation and eating whatever I want. As soon as I get back I will resume lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eat more whole foods and less processed foods. Make your meals from scratch, whole ingredients. Don't eat out.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid excess sodium, there really isn't a reason to limit it, as long as you're drinking an adequate amount of water.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid excess sodium, there really isn't a reason to limit it, as long as you're drinking an adequate amount of water.

The American Heart Association recommends at diet with no more than 1500mg -- for everyone .