Pre-diabetic arrrr scared me

Went to the doctor two weeks and heard that bad word....arrrr....need to get back on track and lower my levels....anyone having the same issues?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    In remission here. I saw significant improvement from my first twenty pounds lost and it just got better from there.

The best early lesson I got was visualizing my plate.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Lots more veggies, controlled carb portion.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Pre-diabetes (self-inflicted) is what slammed my planets into alignment and inspired me to live more conscientiously. That was 18 months and 60 pounds ago. All better now.

I. Will. Never. Go. Back.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    I too had my planets blown out of wack. was diagnosed as prediabetic last week. A few years ago I was zumbaing and using this site. lost 60 lbs. then life got crazy, gained it and 15 more lbs. Now I'm the biggest I've ever been and my sugar levels every morning are between 121-127. I'm a mess. Over the past week I've been trying to consciously make an effort to change my eating habits and add exercise back into life. I've lost 2 lbs but the levels are still the same. Hope I can keep this up and not get discouraged.
    Does anyone know how long it takes just using diet ( I dont' want to take meds if I can help it) before you see a difference in your levels?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I'm prediabetic, have been for a few years now. Tried to lower cholesterol with diet but no dice since liver was producing it all. Went on a low dose of a statin. I have had to change my diet to keep my blood sugar controlled; no carbs eaten without protein, lower glycemic index foods are preferred, watch fruit portions, blah blah blah, check with glucometer etc. I always eat a glucose tablet right after my workouts or CRASH there goes my sugar no matter what I ate beforehand. It's so annoying.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    I have PCOS with insulin resistance and I'm well on my way to being diabetic. It's a scary thing. Feel free to add me. It's a scary road. :)
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Just now starting journey with blood sugars. My husband was just told to start using a meter & tracking his food. I was recently diagnosed as hypoglycemia. Have used this app before with success. Irony is that he & I are both WW Lifetime Goal members. Go figure.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm prediabetic, have been for a few years now. Tried to lower cholesterol with diet but no dice since liver was producing it all. Went on a low dose of a statin. I have had to change my diet to keep my blood sugar controlled; no carbs eaten without protein, lower glycemic index foods are preferred, watch fruit portions, blah blah blah, check with glucometer etc. I always eat a glucose tablet right after my workouts or CRASH there goes my sugar no matter what I ate beforehand. It's so annoying.

I just have to say, @gothchiq that you seem to have a very good handle on how to control your blood sugars. Bravo.
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    I was diagnosed pre diabetic and like many of the above posters it has become a catalyst to change and so far I am down 23lbs. I will probably get my blood work done in august so I'll see what I've accomplished then. Although I feel like it has already made a difference.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    KETOGENIC Diet reverses pre diabetes....you need to start this diet ASAP