Fish and Chips - any kind of fish?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
To commemorate the disaster of Brexit I will be making Fish and Chips for dinner tonight. As authentic as possible except I will bake the fish and use ore-ida golden fries.
My question is, can I use any type of fish? Talapia? I'm in the US, so I know nothing.
Any special sauces on the side? I will put it on newspaper and use a basket and a little cup for ketchup.
Perfect for beer and redbox movie night.

Replies

• TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Cod.

Lots of salt and vinegar.

Tartar sauce.

:yum:
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great idea for a celebratory meal! I might have cod n chips (with a wally) too.

ETA: Skate or coley are popular fish for fish n chips too.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I also agree with cod. It's inexpensive and holds up well. You should make a sticky toffee pudding too...and then you should invite me for dinner.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
    Cod is good because it's a bit thicker and more "sturdy"
    But I love tilapia and I think it would work well too.
    I love Thousand island dressing or homemade tarter sauce made w pickle relish and mayo.
    Yum, enjoy
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    cod but watch for worms, not trying to be gross...hold it up to the light
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Haddock too is a traditional fish in fish and chips - dont know how pricey it is though.......Which is what Brexit will be. sigh..................
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Haddock. Fried in lard. Served with chips (also fried in lard). With plenty of salt, vinegar, and tomato ketchup.

ETA: I'm English, but I don't live there so I didn't have a vote and had to watch from the sidelines. Without getting too political, I think it's a sad day.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I prefer haddock over cod.

I usually bread with egg and a 50/50 mixture of breadcrumbs and cornmeal + spices. Brown in cooking spray, then finish cooking fish through in the oven.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the Bass ale!!

l8aig9uc57xm.jpg
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a Tetley's girl myself (the beer, not the tea) but Bass will do at a pinch.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Beer batter on the fish is great too (if there's any left!)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm a Tetley's girl myself (the beer, not the tea) but Bass will do at a pinch.

Have not tried Tetley's. So many beers, not enough time!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    American, so ignore if you like, but I like cod. Haddock is fine too. A pseudo-English place here does a more expensive halibut version as an alternative to cod (they have cod too), and although halibut is one of my favorite fishes it doesn't work as well. (I wouldn't use tilapia personally, but that's because it's one of the few fish I just don't care for, boring.)

I personally find the French preparation of skate with a brown butter sauce (at least based on this delightful and useful book: http://10minutefrenchcooking.blogspot.com/2009/02/10-minutes-really-pomiane-who-faqs.html) is much better than frying it in batter would be. But that's kind of pro Europe, I suppose. ;-)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Haddock is usual where I am, cod elsewhere, but you also get plaice, skate, whiting, hake, coley - basically any white fish. I've never had tilapia but I think it should be fine.

Chip shop menus also often have scampi (langoustine tails fried in batter or breadcrumbs) , and sometimes you find a fancy one selling fried scallops or other shellfish. In Scotland they also have steak pie, black pudding, pizza, haggis, all cooked in the deep fryer. Somehow this never comes up in foodie conversations about fish and chips, I can't think why...
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Traditionally it's either cod or haddock. We don't use newspaper anymore though or baskets. Ketchup or mushy peas are usually added.
    Today is our Independence Day!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    It's not at all traditional of course...but in a Seattle pub, I had fish and chips made with salmon. It was different, but delicious!