Eggs for lchf

Options
Hi guys, I am struggling for low carb diet and finding it quiet difficult as I am pure eggitarian. I don't eat fish. I get 60% of protein from eggs. Is it safe to take 4-6 eggs 5 days a week.
One more thing, I want to minimize carb intake but every veggie contains it and I end up having more carb than desired.
Need help guys regarding Maximum no of eggs to be consumed safely without affecting cholesterol levels

Replies

• JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's safe to eat that many eggs. Many new studies have sort of debunked the "dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol levels for everyone" belief. Most people's cholesterol isn't affected by what they eat enough to be a concern or even at all, unless you have underlying health concerns that your Dr. has told you to stay away from dietary cholesterol, you're probably safe. If you're worried check with your physician about getting a cholesterol screening.
    articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/02/us-guidelines-dietary-cholesterol-limits.aspx

Here's the actual report: health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/pdfs/scientific-report-of-the-2015-dietary-guidelines-advisory-committee.pdf you can ctrl+f and search for "cholesterol" to skip to their statement.

Vegetables also have fiber, especially the leafy green variety. You should subtract your fiber from your total carbs to get your net carbs, and that is the number you want to keep at or below your desired macro.
    dietdoctor.com/low-carb

On a low carb diet, you should also eat more sodium (up to 5000mg per day), and probably use lite salt (for potassium) as well. We tend to lose a lot of water weight and our electrolytes can become imbalanced without supplementation leading to headaches and lethargy, etc.

You can buy ketone test strips, which will give you an idea as to whether or not you're in ketosis for fat burning, even mild ketosis can be beneficial in the long run. A blood ketone meter is most accurate though, they work pretty much identically to a glucose meter, there are even some meters that read both.

Remember to drink plenty of water, and eat plenty of healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, etc.

There are a lot of great egg and other low carb recipes on websites like ibreatheimhungry.com I find it especially useful for desserts.

*Edited for links and a typo.
  • priyankarai2005
    priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton for your help. I will definitely read the article.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can I ask why you are doing low carb? If you already have a lot of restrictions (no meat or fish), adding more restrictions can make it even more difficult.

Also, food cholesterol generally doesn't increase body cholesterol, unless you are genetically predisposed for it. For a while, I was eating 5 eggs a day for over a year with no impact on my cholesterol numbers. In fact, during that time I lost weight and my numbers improved. Eating foods high in fiber and unsaturated fats can help improve cholesterol if you are worried.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and enjoy your eggs. The yolk especially has both protein and fat. There's tofu, too, and all the nuts. Are you eating those?
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep....enjoy as many eggs as you want. US government had it wrong for many years and recent research determines eggs are ok. Eat whole eggs for greater benefit.
  • priyankarai2005
    priyankarai2005 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Can I ask why you are doing low carb? If you already have a lot of restrictions (no meat or fish), adding more restrictions can make it even more difficult.

Also, food cholesterol generally doesn't increase body cholesterol, unless you are genetically predisposed for it. For a while, I was eating 5 eggs a day for over a year with no impact on my cholesterol numbers. In fact, during that time I lost weight and my numbers improved. Eating foods high in fiber and unsaturated fats can help improve cholesterol if you are worried.

Yes, you can. I am trying to be on low carb I was finding it difficult to loose weight with calorie deficit diet. N yes I am losing weight draw why I decided to continue lchf.