Supplements

Options
mizk8
mizk8 Posts: 8 Member
Hi I am an almost 35yo woman trying to lose 5-10 lbs but mainly trying to tone and bulk up what I already have. I know a lot of people use pre-workout mixes which I have stayed away from but are peaking my interest. What pre-workout mix do you use that is not too sweet (bc I stay away from overly sweet drinks and tend to drink a lot of water) that also has a good bit of vitamins or supplements helpful for maintaining and gaining muscle? Thanks

Replies

• mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No need to fall for the marketing hype mizk8. Save your money that you would have spent on supplements and spend it on yourself as a reward for when you reach your goals. If you eat normally at regular intervals throughout the day and stay well hydrated then there is no need for any supplement. If you feel you need an energy boost before your workout because you haven't eaten in a while then grab a piece of fruit.
  • mjennifer1990
    mjennifer1990 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried c4 in the past and a few other type of pre-workouts. I was always hesitant about it at first. I tried energize by beachbody and actually found it to be very mild but the right amount of boost I need. Unlike c4 it dose not wear of as fast and I don't get the shakes feeling after. I like supplements for the fact that most have quick effects and do just what I need it to do. I work out at 5am so I'm not find of eating that early in the morning.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine and Caffeine
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Grab a cup of coffee instead! Spend your money on a food scale :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I will not try most pre-workouts do to all the stimulants. I do however use Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy. It's BCAA's with caffeine. I drink mine during my workout, and it has helped me, as well as decreasing my recovery time. Supplements have their place, and if they work for you, they are not a waste.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    No need to fall for the marketing hype mizk8. Save your money that you would have spent on supplements and spend it on yourself as a reward for when you reach your goals. If you eat normally at regular intervals throughout the day and stay well hydrated then there is no need for any supplement. If you feel you need an energy boost before your workout because you haven't eaten in a while then grab a piece of fruit.

This attitude is garbage and shows ignorance towards the field.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Caffeine if you're looking for a boost pre workout. Many pre workouts are full of minimal dosages of amino acids and other vitamins that barely have any effect. Myself and many others create our own supplement stacks based Appawn our goals and what we feel we're lacking in. It's doubtful that you'd need to do that if you're just looking to lose a little and maintain size. Do not waste your money on fat burners though, they do absolutely nothing other than empty your wallet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of posts on this already if you want to do some digging. This one is from the last couple of days -
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10412759/best-pre-workout
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, eat in a deficit, get your macros on point and train regularly. Once those items are in place, you can start to look at supplements.

Which supplements depend on what you're looking for...a pick-me-up? Strength? Pump?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

LOL...toward the field of weight loss? I didn't get the impression from her post that she was trying out for the Olympics or that she is a high level athlete. I gathered that she is a 35 year old woman trying to lose weight. I stand by my answer 1000% and it's comments like yours that lead to the confusion that most people have about weight loss. If she wanted to lift 500 pounds around a parking lot my answer may have been different but that simply isn't the case here. And to get right down to it, since we don't know anything of her medical history it would be grossly irresponsible to suggest she take anything especially since the supplement market is unregulated.

I would agree there there are plenty of other things I would worry about before supplementation. Personally, I subscribe to the below. But if there are any supplements worth looking at its caffeine and creatine.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Some of you act like supplements are magic. There are some that are *kitten*. They are called supplements for a reason. Just like a multivitamin. Some of us can't get everything we need from our diet. I could not consume enough food to get my 200 grams of protein. I take amino acids because they help me recover more quickly. As well as Creatine. Yes, I can tell a difference when I don't take it. It's about understanding what your body needs, and if you can find something that helps you reach your goals. Then to me it's not a waste. You have those that push *kitten* supplements, and those that immediately say don't waste your money. Both blanket statements.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Rather than just disagreeing present your arguments in favour of supplements and the evidence to support those arguments. Citation or GTFO.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

LOL...toward the field of weight loss? I didn't get the impression from her post that she was trying out for the Olympics or that she is a high level athlete. I gathered that she is a 35 year old woman trying to lose weight. I stand by my answer 1000% and it's comments like yours that lead to the confusion that most people have about weight loss. If she wanted to lift 500 pounds around a parking lot my answer may have been different but that simply isn't the case here. And to get right down to it, since we don't know anything of her medical history it would be grossly irresponsible to suggest she take anything especially since the supplement market is unregulated.

I would agree there there are plenty of other things I would worry about before supplementation. Personally, I subscribe to the below. But if there are any supplements worth looking at its caffeine and creatine.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

Agree in principle, but I think every level above "macros" should be reduced in size by about 80%-90%.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Some of you act like supplements are magic. There are some that are *kitten*. They are called supplements for a reason. Just like a multivitamin. Some of us can't get everything we need from our diet. I could not consume enough food to get my 200 grams of protein. I take amino acids because they help me recover more quickly. As well as Creatine. Yes, I can tell a difference when I don't take it. It's about understanding what your body needs, and if you can find something that helps you reach your goals. Then to me it's not a waste. You have those that push *kitten* supplements, and those that immediately say don't waste your money. Both blanket statements.

This is what I was getting at. They have their place, but people want to put a blanket statement of "you don't need them." Also, need and being of use and be different things. I don't need the caffeine, but it can help me get through a tough workout.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

Rather than just disagreeing present your arguments in favour of supplements and the evidence to support those arguments. Citation or GTFO.

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

http://examine.com/supplements/Beta-Alanine/

http://examine.com/supplements/Ephedrine/ (This one may be banned in the US I think, it is allowed in Canada in 8mg pills only)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Best supplement is real food. Supplements aren't USDA regulated and are pretty much junk anyways. I'd suggest watching your macros and focus on lifting to tone up. You may not lose exactly 5-10 pounds but you should see a difference in the mirror with a solid consistent lifting program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Creatine is the only supplement worth trying. Besides whey, if you have trouble getting enough protein. Other than that...meh.
  • mizk8
    mizk8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I will not try most pre-workouts do to all the stimulants. I do however use Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy. It's BCAA's with caffeine. I drink mine during my workout, and it has helped me, as well as decreasing my recovery time. Supplements have their place, and if they work for you, they are not a waste.

Which flavors do you like? I am hoping for something that is not too sweet. I tend to get nauseous with stuff too sweet and that won't be helpful for my workout. Thanks!