Thoughts on Low Carb Diets...???

Options
Low carb diets have been around for awhile but I'm looking for advice on them. Most success stories have lost a lot of weight but once switching back to a normal carb intake have gained the weight back and then some. Is a low carb lifestyle something you have to maintain for life or can you use it to boost some weight loss? thanks in advance :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high carb and everything in between carb, it doesn't make a difference. It is all personal preference in how you get into a caloric deficit. You could join here :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've done low carb (and low fat eons ago) .....yet here I am again. Low carb will never be a lifestyle change for me. So now it's counting calories & enjoying all foods in moderate portions.

It doesn't make sense to me (now) to weigh and measure a small sector of foods while losing weight.....then having no information on those other foods when I get to goal. I need to know a portion size for ice cream if I'm going to eat it.

Some people manage a low carb lifestyle; medical issues may give them added incentive. But there are going to be a few who have "new" medical issues trying to maintain low carb forever.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Low carb in and of itself will not bring weight loss without a calorie deficit. Unless a person is pre-diabetic, diabetic, of similar, I don't see the point. If you want to go that way, it is up to you, but perhaps learning to eat the proper number of calories of the food you usually eat would be a better long term approach if you intend to stop eating low carb at some point.
  • nostalgicmeadow
    nostalgicmeadow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, boils down to your caloric deficit; since l focus on building strength, if l low carb l will lose body fat but lose stamina, strength, and will be worthless in fitness gains so l typically don't low carb. However l've been eating tons of steamed veggies to keep up my fitness and promote fat loss
  • RiRi1588
    RiRi1588 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I think i will stick with calorie counting and logging. @nostalgicmeadow thanks for that info, I'm trying to get more into weight training and was worried that I would have less energy with a low carb intake
  • nostalgicmeadow
    nostalgicmeadow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your welcome, remember the more muscle you build, the more body fat your body will burn; you just have to learn how to keep your calories in check, which l am currently trying to do for myself, lm here to help, it motivates me to help others & stay on target with my own nutrition...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    @RiRi1588

You're doing ok so far and so why change---if at some point you want One on One info, i started LcHf in January and am very happy with this new WOE---my normal meals are opening a bag of salad and putting protein on top of it, so far have not made one "conversion recipe"...i eat burgers and spinach, broccoli and other veg...or a different protein with veggies, if they're cooked i add Kerry Gold butter.
    Oh Yea, i also try to eat avocado everyday. This LcHf is very esy for ppl who like salmon, fatty fish...but that fish, coconut and nuts are things i never eat...olive oil is very good too but you likely already use it.
    I've cut out the bread, sugar and starches...mostly, still eat fruit but not a lot.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have done strict low carb, and was pretty miserable. Now, I just say no bread, no sugar, no potatoes or pasta. I like my yogurt every day, and I was pretty miserable without it.
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was pretty unhappy on strict low carb when I tried it, too. I had brutal headaches, and I missed fruits and vegetables too much. I do try to limit white flour and added sugar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like low carbs in a deficit, lowish at least. You still need to be aware of calories, and when you raise carbs when you are in maintenance, you need to be aware of your macros by grams or calories still. I know I liked below 150 or 100 when I'm cutting, and 200-250 in maintenance.