Logging with Crohn's Disease.

Options
Does anyone have any knowledge on logging calories while dealing with Crohn's? My goal calculated by the website is 1290 calories which is fine... but I'm nervous that maybe I'm not eating enough because I am always starving and so tired! My Crohn's is pretty active right now so as soon as I eat anything, well... it's outta my system in about 15 mins. :s

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! :)

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have a family member with Crohn's - my best advice is to get advice from your doctor.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's a good way to track what you're eating with symptoms... if you are having issues try different foods that your doctor suggests.

From your diary I see a lot of candy, chips and coffee. Coffee exacerbates the symptoms for all of my friends who suffer from it.. and they all have infusions for treatment.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Logging, I would just log what you eat. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what your body is actually keeping of it. Or take a few days off logging until you can handle more foods.

That said, find your trigger foods/spices and try to keep them out of your diet. Keep your diet right now to foods you know won't bother you. For him during a bad flare up that's usually broth soups. Sometimes peanut butter sandwiches.

My partner is trying to gain/maintain with crohn's as he lost a lot due to flare ups. He can't have most spices. He can't have green veggies. They all cause flare ups and he'll lose 5lbs in a matter of days.

It's hard during flare ups. There's not a lot you can handle. Try and get what you can. Take a vitamin if you can handle it and do the best you can.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I have a family member with Crohn's - my best advice is to get advice from your doctor.

This
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am a Crohnie. Talk to your Dr but I suspect 1290 in a flare is too low since there are usually malabsorption issues going on
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about flare ups. If you aren't careful, as I'm sure you know, you can lose a lot of weight quickly and unsafely due to malnourishment. During one of my last flare ups, I lost 12lbs and ended up constantly sick due to a poor immune system. So just take care.
  • sbooski
    sbooski Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    It's a good way to track what you're eating with symptoms... if you are having issues try different foods that your doctor suggests.

From your diary I see a lot of candy, chips and coffee. Coffee exacerbates the symptoms for all of my friends who suffer from it.. and they all have infusions for treatment.

Not a perfect dieter... but i'm trying! haha i've actually cut wayyyy back on soda. and used to eat fast food constantly. Coffee is a thing that must stay. I'm willing to bend on anything else haha
  • capaul42
    Options
    sbooski wrote: »

Not a perfect dieter... but i'm trying! haha i've actually cut wayyyy back on soda. and used to eat fast food constantly. Coffee is a thing that must stay. I'm willing to bend on anything else haha

My partner had to switch to tea. Coffee is just too much for him :(
  • sbooski
    sbooski Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    sbooski wrote: »

My partner had to switch to tea. Coffee is just too much for him :(

Has he found any that is comparable at all?
  • capaul42
    Options
    @sbooski He drinks Red Rose tea with a little milk (which I think is weird because he drank black coffee lol).