The colored container method for food.

Options
So I'm using the 21 day fix nutrition plan, the containers mostly, I was wondering if anyone else has used this plan and if so do you log what you are eating on mfp? The plan tells you not to pay attention to calories and gives you a rough estimate of how many you are ingesting a day based on how many of each container you are filling and eating.

Replies

• TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    whut?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You don't need plastic containers. Inaccurate and a pain to clean up.
    To make this place rock get a digital food scale from walmart for less than $20.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just like the WW point system and the card system of another program, they all boil down to a slightly different system of calorie counting and weight loss in the wallet area. It may be helpful for learning portion control (as long as you are not stuffing the containers) but you are trading calorie counting for container counting.
  • lun4wub
    lun4wub Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I used the containers along with measuring just to see how accurate they are. I have to say that they are a good way for people to learn what a serving size should look like. I just wanted the workout but since it came with the containers I have to say they do come in handy. Like when I pack a salad for work, but I want my ingredients to stay separate until lunch time so the lettuce doesn't get all slimy. They are useful for things like that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I'm using the 21 day fix nutrition plan, the containers mostly, I was wondering if anyone else has used this plan and if so do you log what you are eating on mfp? The plan tells you not to pay attention to calories and gives you a rough estimate of how many you are ingesting a day based on how many of each container you are filling and eating.

If you want to use 21 DF and log figure out your container sizes (look this up on Pinterest). Then log 1&1/4 cups green beans, 1/2 cup brown rice, etc.

Not a lot of long term 21 DF'ers here. Kind of gimmicky & very inflexible.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well if you're using tupperware to measure your food your calories will likely be way off anyway - so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to log. A food scale would be a much better investment.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Well if you're using tupperware to measure your food your calories will likely be way off anyway - so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to log. A food scale would be a much better investment.

It would be only slightly helpful (pineapple is higher calorie than strawberries for example)...... but yes a scale is much more helpful.

• Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I adore my containers. I've used them for 5.5 months. To me, counting calories is a pain. Before too long, you can easily eyeball Portions!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Emijanine wrote: »
    I adore my containers. I've used them for 5.5 months. To me, counting calories is a pain. Before too long, you can easily eyeball Portions!

No I cant - I dont have that ability - I cant judge distance either. Just one of my many idiosyncrasies!! Thats why a food scale has been the best thing since sliced bread for me, and counting calories and using it has become second nature.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Emijanine wrote: »

This may work for awhile, and for some people. Keep going back to your containers from time to time to refresh your recollection. Not everyone is going to be equally good at this.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The scale is my friend in the kitchen. It's so helpful :) I weigh my food, put it in my already over 5 years old Rubbermaid containers and go on my merry weigh.

These "fixes" and "shakes" and "body wraps"...all a bunch of hoo ha. I have learned my lesson over the years because I actually thought those things worked. All in my head.

I eat well, exercise regularly and live a happy life. That is what works for me :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Save money by not worry about a 21 day 'fix' and just eat better and exercise. You don't need a book/newsletter/dvd/pamphlet/webinar to let you know how to eat food that's better for you, and you don't need strangers on the internet to tell you that losing 21 pounds in 21 days is unrealistic. If you do, you won't keep it off. If you want to lose 20 pounds in 10 minutes, chop off a leg. (That will be 3 easy payments of $19.99 please!)

I applaud any attempts to get better, but don't fall for snake oil. CICO is what works. Log your food, exercise, and have patience. All of that is free.

^^the statistics are pretty clear, over 80% of the people that lose the weight gain it back within 5 years, and a lot of people gain even more back. This is no matter how the weight is lost. There are multiple threads here everyday from people that are back on MFP after gaining weight back.

Do what works best for each of us. Be diligent and never become complacent. Most of us here want to lose weight and become healthier and it is ok if what it takes is not the same as how someone else achieves their goals.

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I knew a friend that did it with the workout and all. Lost weight. Portion control. If its easier for you to manage than counting why not? Counting is so tedious! But keeping those containers clean all the time would seem to be as well. I say, to each his or her own.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use a virtual color coded container system, works great with my own nutrition plan, and no extra dishwashing :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hm. The whole point of MFP is to take the tedium out of counting calories. Whatever works. But then I have to wonder, what are you doing on MFP? It seems that container-ing and logging at the same time would be a bit of a chore.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hm. The whole point of MFP is to take the tedium out of counting calories. Whatever works. But then I have to wonder, what are you doing on MFP? It seems that container-ing and logging at the same time would be a bit of a chore.

It is what you are doing on MFP anyway, at least I am.
    For example,I make a batch of steel cut oatmeal and freeze it in individual containers. I do prep work for a whole week and put it in individual snack bags or containers.I don't weigh anything, I just eyeball it and log it. And it is no different from using measuring cups and spoons. I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight doing this on MFP and logging. How is it different. It sure works for me.

What do you do with everything after you weigh it? Put it in a container and bring it to work for your breakfast and lunch and snacks. How is the 21 day fix different. I am pretty sure that those containers were designed to hold a certain amount of food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As long as you are aware you are getting an approximation. People better not ask for colour coded entries either.