The colored container method for food.

Options
2»

Replies

• megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Emijanine wrote: »
    I adore my containers. I've used them for 5.5 months. To me, counting calories is a pain. Before too long, you can easily eyeball Portions!

me too!
    Its macros simplified.
    Im building right now to prep for my 3rd competition this fall. the containers ROCK!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    As long as you are aware you are getting an approximation. People better not ask for colour coded entries either.

Some people do not have a problem with not having precise amounts.
    I know I didn't, don't.
    Numbers are general.
    Scales can be inaccurate also.
    How each of us burns calories is not the same.
    If you are losing weight, no matter how you measure, it is working.
    Whatever works for each of us.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Save money by not worry about a 21 day 'fix' and just eat better and exercise. You don't need a book/newsletter/dvd/pamphlet/webinar to let you know how to eat food that's better for you, and you don't need strangers on the internet to tell you that losing 21 pounds in 21 days is unrealistic. If you do, you won't keep it off. If you want to lose 20 pounds in 10 minutes, chop off a leg. (That will be 3 easy payments of $19.99 please!)

I applaud any attempts to get better, but don't fall for snake oil. CICO is what works. Log your food, exercise, and have patience. All of that is free.

^^the statistics are pretty clear, over 80% of the people that lose the weight gain it back within 5 years, and a lot of people gain even more back. This is no matter how the weight is lost. There are multiple threads here everyday from people that are back on MFP after gaining weight back.

Do what works best for each of us. Be diligent and never become complacent. Most of us here want to lose weight and become healthier and it is ok if what it takes is not the same as how someone else achieves their goals.

Maybe that's because they don't learn what a correct portion looks like. I actually think the container thing could be very beneficial because you pay more attention to the size of the portion.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Save money by not worry about a 21 day 'fix' and just eat better and exercise. You don't need a book/newsletter/dvd/pamphlet/webinar to let you know how to eat food that's better for you, and you don't need strangers on the internet to tell you that losing 21 pounds in 21 days is unrealistic. If you do, you won't keep it off. If you want to lose 20 pounds in 10 minutes, chop off a leg. (That will be 3 easy payments of $19.99 please!)

I applaud any attempts to get better, but don't fall for snake oil. CICO is what works. Log your food, exercise, and have patience. All of that is free.

^^the statistics are pretty clear, over 80% of the people that lose the weight gain it back within 5 years, and a lot of people gain even more back. This is no matter how the weight is lost. There are multiple threads here everyday from people that are back on MFP after gaining weight back.

Do what works best for each of us. Be diligent and never become complacent. Most of us here want to lose weight and become healthier and it is ok if what it takes is not the same as how someone else achieves their goals.

Maybe that's because they don't learn what a correct portion looks like. I actually think the container thing could be very beneficial because you pay more attention to the size of the portion.

I agree. I said that above.

But that is not why people gain back the weight. It is because they go back to overeating.

My point is people have to do what works for them, and I think the container method would work for many people.

• peppermintmama
    peppermintmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hm. The whole point of MFP is to take the tedium out of counting calories. Whatever works. But then I have to wonder, what are you doing on MFP? It seems that container-ing and logging at the same time would be a bit of a chore.

I'm actually on MFP because I am new to weight lifting and I needed help with my form and technique, I live in the country so finding a personal trainer is difficult also finding a gym that has weights around here within an hour is also difficult. I also have a five year old who is off school for the summer and a 9 month old so that limits me as well :).
  • peppermintmama
    peppermintmama Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Well when I became pregnant and gained 80 pounds I wanted the 21 day fix meal plan to help me learn how to eat properly again since for over a year I had been eating terribly. I was still very active during my pregnancy but I managed to over eat everything, the meal plan came with a list of super healthy foods and recipes I did not have the time to look up on the internet since I had a newborn that was sick with jaundice and battled numerous other crap from breastfeeding and a five year old just starting school. Basically life happened and I didn't have time to research as I had before I became pregnant I was not using it as a IT works wrap or a Herbalife shake crutch I was using it to regain the muscle memory and to simplify my eating and relearn portion control.

I lost 10 pounds in a month and I was able to keep up my breastfeeding because I was able to add the calories to the containers instead of trying to write down what I ate and how many calories was in each thing with a newborn baby hanging off my boob. I know CICO works, I've been here before but I lost all knowledge of portion control the containers easily help me with that until I can find the time to break out my food scale and get back into being serious. thankyou for taking the time to give me your advice :).