HELP!!! So hungry.

Options
I am on day two of Herbalife and myfitnesspal. I am so hungry. I've done really well so far but right now all i want is Canes and a sweet tea.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eat real food?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.
  • ashleytaft
    ashleytaft Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had eggs, yogurt, and OJ for breakfast. A spinach salad with boiled egg and grilled chicken for lunch, and my Herbalife shake for dinner.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking those shakes and just eat food. No one needs shakes to lose weight. All you need is to eat less calories than you burn in a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ashleytaft wrote: »
    Yes. I had eggs, yogurt, and OJ for breakfast. A spinach salad with boiled egg and grilled chicken for lunch, and my Herbalife shake for dinner.

That doesn't sound like much. How many calories is that? Would you be comfortable sharing your stats?

• ashleytaft
    Options
    1,195 calories today
  • arditarose
    Options
    1,195 calories today

Eat food and pick the most appropriate calorie goal. I'd be eating my hand off as well.
  • ashleytaft
    Options
    I'm really not sure how to know what I should be eating. I've cut out sodas, and bread unless it's whole grain, and no fast food. I know that's good but I am at 278 and I can't go any higher. I'm tired all the time and I'm always in some sort of pain. I have a lot of headaches. I am HOT all the time. Mostly though I can't stand the way I look. I want to get down to 150-160 and is love to build some lean muscle. I'm just screwed when it comes to food. That's always been my biggest problem.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That's way too low. I tried to go that low a long time ago and almost passed out from low blood sugar.

Use this calculator to figure out how many calories you can eat. (change the age and weight for your stats). Then ditch the shakes, get yourself a food scale and just eat regular food:

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=44&g=female&lbs=135&in=66&act=1.375&bf=&f=1
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you want help ... add me and you can see my diary. :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm really not sure how to know what I should be eating. I've cut out sodas, and bread unless it's whole grain, and no fast food. I know that's good but I am at 278 and I can't go any higher. I'm tired all the time and I'm always in some sort of pain. I have a lot of headaches. I am HOT all the time. Mostly though I can't stand the way I look. I want to get down to 150-160 and is love to build some lean muscle. I'm just screwed when it comes to food. That's always been my biggest problem.

But you're using this app. Set it to lose a pound or two per week and eat the amount of calories it suggests. No need to go cutting out food groups and drinking shakes. Seriously.
  • ashleytaft
    Options
    I am eating the calories it suggests
  • crystalmgriff
    crystalmgriff Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always been told by nutritionist not to drink you're food, meaning meal replacement shakes. Make sure you eat carbs for breakfast and lunch and none after lunch. You're body needs carbs to help you have energy. Healthy carbs though, like oatmeal and brown rice. Always carry fruit with you for a snack incase you're getting hungry. If you eat light all day like your use to, your body will go into starvation mode and store that food as fat foe energy, so don't be afraid to eat.
    Add me if you'd like. I get a lot of my advice from nutritionist and fitness exsperts.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I've always been told by nutritionist not to drink you're food, meaning meal replacement shakes. Make sure you eat carbs for breakfast and lunch and none after lunch. You're body needs carbs to help you have energy. Healthy carbs though, like oatmeal and brown rice. Always carry fruit with you for a snack incase you're getting hungry. If you eat light all day like your use to, your body will go into starvation mode and store that food as fat foe energy, so don't be afraid to eat.
    Add me if you'd like. I get a lot of my advice from nutritionist and fitness exsperts.

Annnd. Just ignore all this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yep
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ugh replacing meals with a shake, no wonder you're hungry.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It takes time to learn how and what to eat.

Log everything - every bite, but eat enough to feel satisfied. I would think this site would give you more than 1200 calories to eat at your weight of 278. Not too sure how you came up with 1100 - but that's not enough. No wonder you're hungry.

Why don't you set your goal to "Lose 1 pound a week" then eat that amount for a month, use a food scale and log everything. I bet you'll end up losing much more than 5 pounds in a month. Just try it.

It takes time to learn food. Study your Food Diary and figure out how and where you can add in more whole foods, more vegetables, less sugary treats etc.

Another thing, take a walk every day for at least 30 minutes. It will help regulate your hunger level, and you'll feel a lot better.

It takes time. Have I mentioned that?
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    And is you're only eating 1200, I'm guessing you're trying to lose 2lbs a week. Back it down to 1lb, it's more reasonable and you defiantly wont be so hungry.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    And just because you put it on losing 1 lb a week doesn't mean you wont lose more, I've been eating enough calories for what MFP says will lose me 1lb a week and I've lost 12lb this month.
  • crystalmgriff
    crystalmgriff Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm just quoting and giving advice that my nutritionist gave me when I was overweight and try to loose weight fast. I was told no carbs after 3pm. And the carbs I do consume had to be healthy carbs.