Low carb

I'm on low cab but having trouble keeping the fat down too. How can I eat so much protein without the excess fat?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    arkieang wrote: »
    I'm on low cab but having trouble keeping the fat down too. How can I eat so much protein without the excess fat?

You do realize that you need said fat for energy, when carb intake is cut, right? Hell, most low-carb users actually struggle with getting enough fat. Protein's easy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

You do realize that you need said fat for energy, when carb intake is cut, right? Hell, most low-carb users actually struggle with getting enough fat. Protein's easy.

This.

You can't be low carb & low fat because then all that's left is protein.

This group can give you the information you need
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • arkieang
    arkieang Posts: 2 Member
    I understand I need fat too but I'm getting way more fat than protein and that can't be good.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Why are you low carb? For health reasons?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I understand I need fat too but I'm getting way more fat than protein and that can't be good.

Some calculators are going to have higher fat percentages than others. Yes, some are higher fat than protein.....why "can't that be good"

If you have health reasons for going low carb, then you should get some nutritional advice from a dietician. They can point you in the right direction.

If low carb is not medical......peruse the low carb group & find something that fits your current and FUTURE lifestyle. You don't need low carb to lose weight, but you do need lifestyle changes to keep the weight you do lose off.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

That sounds pretty normal for a low carb diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb), but if you have a medical condition I would check with a doctor about your macro breakdown.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Most protein sources are going to be pretty high in fat content but that's pretty typical since you're cutting out a lot of calories from carbs, fat sources are going to be your bodies next go to for calories and there's more calories in fat than there are protein. I'm inquisitive like other posters on here. Is this low carb diet for medical purposes? If not, it's going to make long term eating habits pretty tough, unless you're just one of those people that are fine cutting out a lot of grains and vegetables from your diet. I also found that low carb diets are almost unsustainable with a high intensity exercise regimen.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    I would check with a dietician. My fats are higher than my proteins and my carbs are set at 25%. You cannot do low carb and low fat.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member

It is fine to eat fat, just weigh and log to track total calories. My fat intake is usually almost double protein in gram weight.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member

OP, You WANT to be getting the largest % of your energy on a daily basis from healthy fats when you do low carb. I do and I'm in the best shape of my life ever. My doctor is pleased as punch with me too. The ONLY kind of fat that is truly bad for you is Trans fat (i.e. man-made fats along the lines of partially hydrogenated oils) that are very prevalent in highly processed foods that you can buy in grocery stores, fast foods, fried foods, etc.
    umayster wrote: »
    It is fine to eat fat, just weigh and log to track total calories. My fat intake is usually almost double protein in gram weight.

What @umayster said!! Likewise, my daily fat intake is usually at least three times higher than my protein intake in gram weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

The idea that dietary fat is fattening has been proven to be a myth. Fat is fine (just avoid trans fats).

My protein is around 80g per day. My fat is 120g per day. I lost 40 lbs in just over 4 months eating low carb that way. My doctor recommended it. :)
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    I get about 60% of my Calories from fat. 15% carbs and 40% protein. Lost 25 lbs in 2 months. Gradually continuing to lose.