Anti histamines effects on losing weight

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    sallykift wrote: »
    My suspicion is that your heart rate monitor is leading you to believe you're burning more calories than you actually are. If you're eating them back, that would explain why you're not losing.
    I appreciate that everyone is different but I really doubt that the workout you've described would burn 900 kcal. ... I'd guess at more like 350 tops. As a comparison, I burn about 6000 kcals doing an ironman which is a 2.4 mile swim, then 112 miles on the bike and then a marathon.

Reading this made me want to have a snack and take a nap! Congrats on the Ironman--that's amazing!!!! :star:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    mjvdz wrote: »
    Thank you fot all your answers. To answer all the questions about how often i cheat and if i log it YES i do log it even if after logging a 2 cups of ice cream gives me depression or anxiety YES i do log it. I cheat almost everyday but not to the point that i get all my calories from junk. I eat 80% clean and 20% JUNK. I don't think i can be perfect everday. BUT i do LOG ALL my meals. I have a sedentary lifestyle but i do make sure to stand up on my desk rather than sitting all day.

About the scales i do have a regular scale

You mention you have a food scale - but then you also say you ate 2 CUPS of ice cream. So which is it that you are using for your food - the scale or the cups? You should use the food scale for ALL solids and only use cups for liquids.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Thank you fot all your answers. To answer all the questions about how often i cheat and if i log it YES i do log it even if after logging a 2 cups of ice cream gives me depression or anxiety YES i do log it. I cheat almost everyday but not to the point that i get all my calories from junk. I eat 80% clean and 20% JUNK. I don't think i can be perfect everday. BUT i do LOG ALL my meals. I have a sedentary lifestyle but i do make sure to stand up on my desk rather than sitting all day.

About the scales i do have a regular scale

About the calories i burned during exercise YES it's pretty high but i make sure that it's all pure exercise without chit chatting on the gym. In fact i don't go to the gym, i workout in a field and do mostly plyos and calisthenics workout for 50 mins and then run for 30-40 mins. I also can't believe that i burned 900 cals on that session but that's what my monitor says and i use a polar heart rate monitor with chest strap. I'm not fit like athlethes but i can do mostly all intermidiate workouts.

Not sure what it is on why i'm not losing weight but glad to hear that most of you managed to lose the extra weight while on medication.

If food gives you depression or anxiety, there are much more serious issues at play.
  • Psychgrrl
    The other thing which can hamper accurate logging is the database entries themselves. They're not all accurate, even the verified (green check-marked) ones. Compare the label the the information in the database and make sure the entry you're choosing matches and then always use the same one.

Though, to echo the others, if you're not weighing your solids to know what a serving size is, your logging could still be off. It was eye-opening for me when I started weighing. Not to mention depressing how little a serving size actually was of most foods I was eating.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I take Claritin; it has no effect on my loss. In your place I would call the pharmacist, name your pill and ask what are the known side effects.
  • gothchiq
    I do have to mention that 2 cups of ice cream has a LOT of calories. A serving is a half cup (level, not heaped). Personally I do not have room for stuff like that because I would have to cut out more essential nutrients in order to do it so I have chosen not to purchase it or eat it. It may be that you would do better for a while to not purchase foods like that. Later you may gain the control to add small portions back. But the beginning of a weight loss journey, like the first 3 months, is the hardest part. The first month is really hard. I have had the best luck personally by staying completely away from temptations like that. Different for everyone of course but if your current method is not working, I think it may be time to try another tactic.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    You cheat every day but you still log it? Does that mean you go over your calorie budget everyday? That would explain not losing right there.

If you are keeping within your calorie budget, then that's not cheating...that's just fitting in a treat, which is completely cool...normal...healthy.

You definitely need a kitchen scale and weigh all solids.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Apparently some (but not all) antihistamines can in fact cause weight gain, which was a surprise to me:

"It has long been known that the administration of antihistamines can cause weight gain. In fact, one antihistamine, cyproheptadine, has been used for this purpose."

Source: http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/antihistamines-weight-gain
  • mjvdz
    mjvdz Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all so much for all the responses. It's very nice to hear different opinions and all of you seems right about weighing the food rather than using a cup or a spoon.

I have come to different conclusions that maybe hypothyroid and maybe anti histamines etc..
    I've probably under estimate the food that i'm taking
    I bought a food scale and will start to weigh my food intake and i've downloaded different calorie counter app to triple check the amount of calories i'm eating.
    I weigh a peeled banana and 100 grams is about 90-92 calories. I'll see for a week if this will work.

Regarding the HRM i did some research on how it maybe over estimating my burns.. I'm still not sure about it.. But today i did a workout with a bpm 175-191 for 45 mins doing high intensity workout hrm says i burned about 600 kcals not so sure about it since i already think that the hrm over estimate my burns.

I've doubled check the data i've input (weight, height age and max heart rate) it all seems correct.

Thanks again for all the responses
  • gothchiq
    Hypothyroidism can make life very difficult. I know because I have it... Are you having difficulty staying awake at work during the day, feeling lethargic, having trouble thinking clearly and completing tasks? If so, definitely have your thyroid levels evaluated. Not just TSH, ask for a full panel.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    I don't do well with anti-histamines and try to use them only a few weeks out of the year. I don't know about weight gain as I hadn't notice that but anti-histamines directly impact my heartrate and workout performance. With an anti-histamine my heartrate will be 10 to 20 bpm higher when working out. While that does burn a few more calories during the working, it really limits how hard I can push. The muscles aren't stressed and little benefit is gained. Overall fewer calories end up being burned because there is less muscle repair going on.
  • gothchiq
    vingogly wrote: »
    Apparently some (but not all) antihistamines can in fact cause weight gain, which was a surprise to me:

"It has long been known that the administration of antihistamines can cause weight gain. In fact, one antihistamine, cyproheptadine, has been used for this purpose."

Zyrtec! I tried it once and crashed out, slept for 16 hours, and when I finally woke, I felt like a zombie. It makes some people too lethargic to move/burn calories, for certain!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Antihistamines mess with me too. The only one that didn't to a large degree was loratadine.

Now I'm on corticosteroids. Amazingly I've managed to lose 60 lbs over the past year despite that, but it's taken some strict logging.
  • mjvdz
    mjvdz Posts: 12 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »

Zyrtec! I tried it once and crashed out, slept for 16 hours, and when I finally woke, I felt like a zombie. It makes some people too lethargic to move/burn calories, for certain!
    I used zyrtec too and i always sleep more than 15hrs with that..
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all so much for all the responses. It's very nice to hear different opinions and all of you seems right about weighing the food rather than using a cup or a spoon.

I have come to different conclusions that maybe hypothyroid and maybe anti histamines etc..
    I've probably under estimate the food that i'm taking
    I bought a food scale and will start to weigh my food intake and i've downloaded different calorie counter app to triple check the amount of calories i'm eating.
    I weigh a peeled banana and 100 grams is about 90-92 calories. I'll see for a week if this will work.

Regarding the HRM i did some research on how it maybe over estimating my burns.. I'm still not sure about it.. But today i did a workout with a bpm 175-191 for 45 mins doing high intensity workout hrm says i burned about 600 kcals not so sure about it since i already think that the hrm over estimate my burns.

I've doubled check the data i've input (weight, height age and max heart rate) it all seems correct.

Thanks again for all the responses

That's an insanely high burn for 45 minutes of work for a 150lb female. I'm 20lbs heavier than you and I only get 300 odd for intense work for that amount of time. Your burn will be lower because you're smaller. Are you sure you have your HRM set up correctly with your height and weight?

I just checked my burn from two days ago as that was about 45 minutes. It was 389 and I leave a daily buffer of around 100 calories for burn and logging inaccuracies so in reality I don't eat all of those calories (well, that's the theory, damn EU referendum making me eat my feelings this week).
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    sallykift wrote: »
    My suspicion is that your heart rate monitor is leading you to believe you're burning more calories than you actually are. If you're eating them back, that would explain why you're not losing.
    I appreciate that everyone is different but I really doubt that the workout you've described would burn 900 kcal. ... I'd guess at more like 350 tops. As a comparison, I burn about 6000 kcals doing an ironman which is a 2.4 mile swim, then 112 miles on the bike and then a marathon.

Reading this made me want to have a snack and take a nap! Congrats on the Ironman--that's amazing!!!! :star:

Haha. Thanks. Although you wouldn't say that if you saw how slow I am :)

IT'S great for weight loss btw, you have to do so much training it's actually hard to eat enough to keep the weight on. I will certainly be going back to it once the baby is a bit older.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,242 Member
    I haven't been able to find any supporting evidence yet. So what I'm about to say is probably untrue. But still.

I used to take hydroxyzine everyday for 5 years. I started losing 4 months ago and I was happy with my weight loss (as in it made sense, I was losing as expected). I stopped the hydroxyzine several weeks ago (for reasons having nothing to do with weight loss) and since then I've started losing much quicker and I'm a bit worried. It might not be related to it but still I'm losing as if I'm making more than twice the deficit I'm making. And I have all sorts of excel tables of my data for the four months so my calculations are correct.

It might or it might not be the hydroxyzine. Just thought I would share.
  • Psychgrrl
    I'm hypo and none of my endos have ever mentioned not taking antihistamines. It's not come up in my research, either (yet). However, my sister is hyper and the docs very clearly said only Benadryl and nothing else or it could send her thyroid into a tail spin.
  • Psychgrrl
    dykask wrote: »
    I don't know about weight gain as I hadn't notice that but anti-histamines directly impact my heartrate and workout performance. With an anti-histamine my heartrate will be 10 to 20 bpm higher when working out. While that does burn a few more calories during the working, it really limits how hard I can push.

Decongestants also do this, it's why they're not recommended for people with high blood pressure--it can elevate things to a dangerous level, even when not exercising. There is one decongestant being marketed to folks with hbp, my sister's doc put her on it. Allegedly it doesn't have the same side effects.
  • Psychgrrl
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find any supporting evidence yet. So what I'm about to say is probably untrue. But still.

I used to take hydroxyzine everyday for 5 years. I started losing 4 months ago and I was happy with my weight loss (as in it made sense, I was losing as expected). I stopped the hydroxyzine several weeks ago (for reasons having nothing to do with weight loss) and since then I've started losing much quicker and I'm a bit worried. It might not be related to it but still I'm losing as if I'm making more than twice the deficit I'm making. And I have all sorts of excel tables of my data for the four months so my calculations are correct.

It might or it might not be the hydroxyzine. Just thought I would share.

That is one powerful drug. I have a prescription for extreme reactions and take it very intermittently. It knocks me completely out. Benadryl has no sedative effects on me anymore, but the hydroxyzine--WOW!