Gained a few pounds, Is it time to take action now?

Options
In March I finally reached my end point of losing weight, I got fed up with losing weight and the obsession I formed around it so I went into maintaining. As it usually goes I stopped counting calories, Deleted my old MFP account and the scale creeps up 5-7 pounds(My weigh in's aren't super accurate because I can't weigh in the morning before eating right now, But I known I've gone up).
So right now I'm kind of conflicted in what I should do. Should I go into a very small deficit and lose the few pounds? But I'm worried I'll get obsessive about it again like I did months ago.
I could just accept my body wants to be 130 and just try to be mindful and eat less but not actively try to lose weight I guess.
I really need to get into a work out routine again too. Lately I've been so lazy because I like to go outside to exercise and it's so hot here right now I feel like doing nothing, I know that is also contributing to the extra mass and it's much easier to maintain when I'm active.

This might seem silly but I just needed to vent today because the scale said the highest number I've been in nearly a year

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Take action. Even if you want to maintain where you are now, that WAS your goal while you were trying it without logging-and you gained. I took a break because I was obsessive as well. I gained a few pounds but I'm okay with that considering I was getting whacko. I've gone back to an itty bitty deficit, training heavy, and feel great. Just get your .5 lb per week deficit going, and try to relax.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I agree you should take action now while it is just a few pounds. Are you trying to stick to one number or do you have a range? A five pound range is good to even out the fluctuations. Also, you do get your most accurate weight in the morning before you eat, but if you can't weigh then then find a time that works for you and weigh at the same time every day. That way you will see a more accurate trend. If you weight in the morning one day and in the evening the next then it may look like you gained when you really didn't.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I still monitor my weight daily. My upper limit is 5#, but the most I have been up was 4 and then I cut calories for a while. This has been working for me on maintenance for 2-1/2 years now. I simply can not allow myself to let my weight get out of control again. Five pounds seems like a manageable amount to me.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    byrnnsman - Don't get depressed. I'm in the same place, and I've lost some of it but still have more to do. We can do it! I've been maintaining 4 years.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to lose 15 than 30. You have to plan for maintenance before you get there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Get it together!! You can do it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkpIDBtC2c
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Take action NOW! I reached my goal last spring. Went on a fabulous cruise, wine festival and family reunion. By the end of the summer I had gained 10 pounds and been trying to get rid of it ever since. I knew I wasn't going to be logging daily but the indulgences certainly added up. I have a similar itinerary this summer and will try to exercise a little more restraint. I have another 5 pounds to go and it's been slow and steady. Werk girl!
  • Fridaywed
    Fridaywed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wake up call everyone. I'm going to track all my food again and try to stay on top of it. I'll wake up earlier to bicycle or walk everyday again too, As I do feel much better when I do something everyday and it'll help with losing these few pounds.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    If I was genuinely 7lbs over where I'm happy, I would lose them but that's just me!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. Am now 7 pounds up after eating a ton of foods I wouldn't have normally over the past month. How quickly it flies back on. I've put my goal back to losing from maintenance. ☹️
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Take action now before the gain becomes 10lbs...or more
    We can't get complacent or it becomes a slippery slope :/
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    !!!!!! (I work in nutrition FYI)

I think what a lot of people are missing out of your post is that you used to be obsessive and you don't want to be obsessive anymore. I think that right now, you need to accept your body as is BUT find a way to be active with the heat and eat in moderation...... getting obsessive again can have some negative consequences such as even greater weight gain. If you need some advice from someone who works in nutrition, feel free to message me!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I really get the steps in at work, but I'm off for the summer. I still do the treadmill and try to walk as much as possible, but it has been miserable with yellow flies and of course very hot. I've struggled to keep my weight down more than usual, so I've had to look at my activity level. I've added another mile plus swimming. I've also upped the fresh vegetables so I'm really full. Sometimes we just have to adjust our plan, but we KNOW how to do it. Im not miserable, I had froyo today and pizza yesterday, but the activity balances everything out.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was sloppy at maintaining and I've gained 10lbs. It seems like it's 10 lbs of cellulite. I have to get back to where I was. Cookies on the counter didn't bother me because I was on a mission. Now, I might eat 2 or 3 servings worth. I am hoping reading these posts will get my head where it needs to be.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Take action now. Don't let it creep up on you.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, but would also recommend that you use the Happy Scale app on your phone. It really helps you to log weight daily, not freak out when you go above your goal, and gives a moving average that is very comforting. It is, above all, great for setting yourself a maintenance weight and not going above what is called your Scream Weight by the Refuse to Regain author. And if you are a reader, read Refuse to Regain to keep yourself motivated. It's an easy, sensible approach, although there are a few things that I disagree with. Overall, it's really helpful.