It's getting harder and harder to burn calories

Options
Shells918
Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started working out last summer with 1 DVD, a cardio kickboxing kind of thing, and I did it every day.
Then I got Rockin Body, by Shaun T, very Dancy cardio, 6 different videos, I didn't have a Fitbit yet so I used the calories from General aerobics to estimate. I used this series for several months.

Next I got CIZE, also dancing, have the Fitbit and used those calories to input as burned. I started in February and can tell I'm not burning the way I used to. Even if I do 2 videos in a day, it's a stretch to get close.
Last week and the next 2 weeks I'm in between programs, still working out with a little bit of everything.

I'm going to start Les Mills Combat on July 11 after my vacation.

My question is whether or not my body is just so used to doing these cardio exercises, and needs something new, or do I need to start doing more.

My workouts are anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour long, and my goal had been to burn 300 calories in that timeframe.
I'm 5'4" and weigh 172.5

Thank you!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are getting fitter! Yay you!! You need to find something even more challenging :)
  • Shells918
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You are getting fitter! Yay you!! You need to find something even more challenging :)

Thanks. That's why I picked Les Mills. It looks a lot harder.
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Les mills is fab!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "It's getting harder and harder to burn calories." what on earth does this mean?
    If you are getting fitter it's easier to burn calories as you can maintain a higher exercise intensity.

300 cals in 45 to 60 minutes isn't very ambitious, it's very modest.
    If you just use an online calculator then as you weigh less it will assume you are burning less - not necessarily true at all.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    By what method are we measuring this lessened calorie burning?
  • Shells918
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "It's getting harder and harder to burn calories." what on earth does this mean?
    If you are getting fitter it's easier to burn calories as you can maintain a higher exercise intensity.

300 cals in 45 to 60 minutes isn't very ambitious, it's very modest
    If you just use an online calculator then as you weigh less it will assume you are burning less - not necessarily true at all.

I was burning much more than 300 in that time period in the beginning. That's my point. I can't even get to 300 now. I think what @queenliz99 said makes sense and she answered my question. And so did you after saying "what on earth does that mean" even though you obviously understood.
  • sijomial
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

I was burning much more than 300 in that time period in the beginning. That's my point. I can't even get to 300 now. I think what @queenliz99 said makes sense and she answered my question. And so did you after saying "what on earth does that mean" even though you obviously understood.

No - you don't actually know how much you were burning then or now.
  • queenliz99
    edited June 2016
    Options

I think she means it's getting easier for her. IDK

@darlswife how are you estimating your calorie burns?

ETA: you don't know exactly how much you have burned then, all the numbers are just estimates, in and out. If your calorie counting is spot on and you are not losing weight then youre estimating your burns too high.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options

op wrote this in her post
    I didn't have a Fitbit yet so I used the calories from General aerobics to estimate. I used this series for several months.
  • queenliz99
    Options

op wrote this in her post
    I didn't have a Fitbit yet so I used the calories from General aerobics to estimate. I used this series for several months.

I should have went back to retread post. Thank you
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    One thing to know about calorie estimation from heart rate monitors - if you're in low cardiovascular fitness, they tend to overestimate calories burned, and if you're in high cardiovascular fitness, they tend to underestimate.

The reason is that it's doing an estimate without having any way to measure one key variable. Calorie burn does correlate pretty well with oxygen consumption, and oxygen consumption does correlate pretty well with cardiac output, but cardiac output is the product of two things: your heart rate (easily measured) and the stroke volume, the amount of blood moved in each beat. Stroke volume isn't measurable at home, not until someone invents a wearable echocardiogram.

As your cardiac fitness goes up, your stroke volume goes up; your heart gets stronger and moves more blood per beat. This means that a very fit person will have a lower fitbit reading than a very unfit person, even if both do the same actual calorie burn, because the unfit person's heart needs to beat more times to move the same amount of blood.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    When you were heavier you burned more calories....I think that's what OP means.

300 cals an hour is modest, even now at 130lbs I would burn that just by walking fast for an hour.

You are getting fitter OP which means it's getting easier, that's a good thing :smile:
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I finished and loved Les Mills Combat. By the end, I was burning approx 20% fewer calories for the same workout, using the same polar F7 to compare. Your body gets fit, so doesn't need to work as hard to do the same work. By the end of
    Combat, you might be ready for Insanity!
  • sijomial
    Options
    Let's explain a bit more...
    Take a really fit 200lb person and a really unfit 200lb person and get them to walk up ten flights of stairs.
    They burn the same amount of calories.

Take a really fit 200lb person and a really unfit 200lb person and give them an hour to walk up as many flights of stairs as they can and guess who will burn more calories.....

It's not about feelings, it's about physics.

Using a database which purely estimates from duration and weight is very vague.

Another perspective.....
    “It doesn’t get any easier, you just get faster” – Greg Lemond
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with BMI as well. I can attest to that personally. When I started my weight loss journey I could burn 1,300 calories in about 10 miles of bike riding. And just today I went on a 30 mile ride and burned less than 1,100 miles.

As your weight goes down, the more effective it becomes at burning calories.

One of the biggest reasons I HATE those "It takes this many miles of walking to burn of this [fill in the blank] memes you see on facebook. Everyone's BMI and metabolic rate is different.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    It has a lot to do with BMI as well. I can attest to that personally. When I started my weight loss journey I could burn 1,300 calories in about 10 miles of bike riding. And just today I went on a 30 mile ride and burned less than 1,100 miles.

As your weight goes down, the more effective it becomes at burning calories.

One of the biggest reasons I HATE those "It takes this many miles of walking to burn of this [fill in the blank] memes you see on facebook. Everyone's BMI and metabolic rate is different.

It has nothing to do with BMI and metabolic rate. It takes less energy to move less mass. So the lower your weight, the fewer calories it requires to do the same work. See sijominal's post above.

• Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only lost 4 lbs overall to reach a 20% reduction in calorie burn, and I was really nailing those workouts toward the end. But my resting HR decreased, and it was less effort to perform the same or better as fitness improved. My HR didn't go up as high toward the end of the program, and therefore the calorie burn was less. It wasn't about weight change.
  • Shells918
    Options
    Ok so basically my body is working more efficiently because I've lost weight and I'm in better shape. As I continue to work out with different programs I will have to keep working harder. When I started this I hadn't worked out for a few years but I have worked out most of my life. I have medical issues and medication that also may also affect how I burn calories. I don't really sweat.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm looking forward to starting Les Mills in a few weeks and continuing to lose weight and inches.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Ok so basically my body is working more efficiently because I've lost weight and I'm in better shape. As I continue to work out with different programs I will have to keep working harder. When I started this I hadn't worked out for a few years but I have worked out most of my life. I have medical issues and medication that also may also affect how I burn calories. I don't really sweat.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm looking forward to starting Les Mills in a few weeks and continuing to lose weight and inches.

No - it's not efficiency.
    You weigh less, it takes less energy (calories) to move a smaller weight. That's why your estimates are falling.
    Nothing more complex than that.

Remember your estimate is simply "General aerobics" and time - it does not and cannot know if you are getting fitter or trying harder.

• jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try something new. Lift weights and start shaping