Loose skin vs fat?

Options
I've had no problem losing weight all over my body, except for the region between my breasts and my arms.

The other night, my mom suggested that maybe I haven't lost much weight there because it's loose skin. I've never thought of that area as loose skin, but now I can't help but worry.

I've only been overweight for at most 5 years of my life. At my heaviest, I was 180ish lbs (5'3 height). I went from 180lbs to 162lbs over a year. Then I went from 162lbs to 110lbs in nine months. I did lose weight quickly at the beginning, though. Then after about two months of fast weight loss, I eased up and lost slower.

I'm only 19 years old, if that factors into this at all.

Here's a picture. Hopefully you guys can offer some advice, as I've never seen loose skin before and wouldn't be able to recognize it easily. I don't think this is loose skin, but I just want to check and know for sure.

Thank you! :)d1pr1v0tk8q9.jpeg

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It look like fat to me. People weigh fat differently. Some people have big bellies, big thighs, big boobs, big arms, etc.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If no start doing it. It doesn't have to be weight lifting necessarily just start with 30 minutes walk. Your body will tone up. Mine did.
  • violetpurdy
    violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It look like fat to me. People weigh fat differently. Some people have big bellies, big thighs, big boobs, big arms, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. It feels like fat to touch as well, but when my mom said what she did, I couldn't help but think "what if" :P thank you for the input!
  • GlendaThompson2
    GlendaThompson2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Even when I was anorexic I had what you are showing in that picture. Don't worry about it, 110 pounds is great. If you are really worried about it, then just do some exercises to tone up the muscles in that area. Don't lose any more wight.
  • violetpurdy
    Options
    faji2015 wrote: »
    Do you exercise? If no start doing it. It doesn't have to be weight lifting necessarily just start with 30 minutes walk. Your body will tone up. Mine did.

I workout daily, doing a mix between running and using an elliptical. I also do some strength training on my arms and chest. I just started the strength training a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping that'll help with this. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • violetpurdy
    Options
    Even when I was anorexic I had what you are showing in that picture. Don't worry about it, 110 pounds is great. If you are really worried about it, then just do some exercises to tone up the muscles in that area. Don't lose any more wight.

Thank you for offering some perspective, it really helps, as I struggle with body image and obsessing over small things. I'm working on toning it up a bit, hopefully that helps. :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It looks like axillary breast tissue to me. Many women have it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

That's what I think too. Honestly it does not look bad. I know we can be overly critical of our bodies, but it really is not bad. You look fantastic.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think you look amazing! Congratulations on such a giant success, especially so young! I don't think you need to lose any more fat. If you, personally, are unsatisfied with your body, consider talking to a trainer to learn about lifting to shape your body the way you like it. :)
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It looks like a weirdly cut top to me. For some reason tank tops seem prone to being ill-fitted (at least for me). The straps also seem to be slanting in toward your neck, which probably also squeezes the armpit area more than straight straps would.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

That's what I think too. Honestly it does not look bad. I know we can be overly critical of our bodies, but it really is not bad. You look fantastic.

I agree with this.

When you put your bra on, bend over at the waist and smooth the excess into your bra cups. Your boobs will thank you!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Beautiful!
    But anyway . . . .
    Do what spring913 said -- it works. I recognize that it's not a permanent fix, but it will work.
    Regarding loose skin, I will never lose all the skin I built up over50 years' time, but I refused to do the surgery thang, and some of it is actually going away on its own! I didn't expect that. My stomach is still way too big . . . .
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Most people don't measure for bras correctly, and this is what you end up with.

Do yourself a favor, and follow this.

http://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/45962915522/do-it-now-guide-to-proper-bra-fit-and-measuring
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    .. it looks normal to me. It's just your top compressing your arms.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You look terrific and have a great hourglass figure. Work with what you have and try to focus on the positives! Finding clothes that fit you and your body type rather than ones that don't will help your self esteem. I tend to have bigger arms even when I am thin so I work them out to get definition. Make them a showpiece and think of them as an asset. :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Most people don't measure for bras correctly, and this is what you end up with.

Do yourself a favor, and follow this.

http://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/45962915522/do-it-now-guide-to-proper-bra-fit-and-measuring

That link is just amazing! Thanks for posting!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try doing push up, lots. They will build your shoulders, chest and arms. But I think you look fantastic!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think you would be very happy with the results of lifting as I don't think you need to lose any more weight. Your waist is to die for - great figure! I don't see lose skin in your picture. I also agree with other posters, make sure your bra fits properly. I'm in between sizes worthy now and my bra choices in my house are 34 A or 34 B and the B leaves a lot of extra space in the cup and the A pushes everything out to the side so I have an effect similar to what is going on in your photo. Good luck and KUDOS for losing all that weight!!!