I gained 10 pounds in a week !

Options
Hey you guys , so today I weighed myself and it spiked up 10 pounds out of no where ... wondering what could make your weight jump up that fast so quick ...

I also was wondering what's the best way to loose 30 pounds by December just by diet , Thankyou !

Replies

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This seems pretty unlikely. Weigh again in a few days...
  • Giants5611
    Giants5611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Water retention, mostly.

Have you been over your maintenance calories every day?
    How do you count your calories?
    Are you consuming too much sodium?
    Do you consume enough water?
    Is it close to TOM?
    Have you recently started a new exercise program, or increased the intensity of your existing one?
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Most of that weight is probably due to water retention which can be caused by a number of factors and how accurately you weighed yourself. It would probably be best to reevaluate your calorie goal though and make sure you are in a calorie deficit.

The best way to lose 30 pounds by December is to be in a reasonable calorie deficit (250-500 calorie deficit).

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 35 000 kcal over your TDEE ? Unlikely...but what do I know what you ate :D
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose weight by December is to create a calorie deficit and stick to it.
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you were pounding beers & eating a ton of pizza for 7 days straight maybe haha. Otherwise probably just water weight. Sweat it out you'll be fine :)
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    On the other note... There is 26 weeks till Xmas so you need bit over 1 lbs loss per week to achieve it... weight loss isn't linear so it's difficult to know for sure...but it seems that you could maybe get there with maintaining about 600-700 kcal deficit from your TDEE (which will get lower with weight loss). The way you achieve weight loss is up to you. There is no miracle thing that 'works'. However calorie deficit works 10 out of 10 times.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine being able to gain a whole 10lbs of water if: I am getting my period, taking NSAIDS, eating high carb AND high sodium, heavy weight training and...I'm constipated. Like if all of these things happened at once.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP:

Some ideas for you:

6dfb4w3iccod.jpg
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I can definitely gain 10 pounds - though certainly not of fat - if I have a day or two where I eat a lot of surplus calories, particularly carb-heavy. For example, a birthday party with a lot of pasta, bread, cake, and ice cream.

Surplus carbs are most readily stored as glycogen, which unlike fat needs a large amount of water to osmotically balance it. It's effectively unintentional carb loading.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Is it close to your time of the month, OP? I know several women who see that kind of increase on the scale, for that reason alone. I usually get about 2 or 3 extra pounds myself. It isn't fat gain, so it usually goes away in about a week or so.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I know a woman who gained 35 pounds in 30 days...so it is possible.

But a weight gain like that could be over eating, or too much salt, or if you sat down with a bowl of cheese, not weighing yourself the same time there could be many reasons really
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can gain really, really fast. But here's the thing--I may pig out for a whole week, get on the scale and have gained only a couple of pounds. So I think, Oh! I'm home free. Then the NEXT week, after a week of staying in my deficient, I may see a big GAIN. It seems to take a while to "catch up" with me. Maybe you are the same.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Water fluctuations.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek posted this in another thread.

An incomplete list of things that can cause scale fluctuations:
    Constipation
    Recent increase in exercise
    Recent increase in sodium
    Recent increase in carbs
    Recent increase in food volume
    Weighing in later in the day
    Weighing with different clothes/shoes on than normal
    An inaccurate or uncalibrated scale
    Stress
    Dehydration
    Ovulation
    Menstruation
    Puberty

Remember, it could be a combination of excess calorie consumption and one of the above. If you aren't already counting calories, think about starting and also think about getting a food scale if you don't already have one.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    In April, I gained 14lbs in 17 days. Lost most of it in a week. It will disappear for sure. Don't worry.
  • seachelle76
    seachelle76 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in one week can be indicative of a serious health problem- quite possibly renal (kidneys). That much fluid retention is NOT normal. Are you able to urinate or has your urine output decreased? It is highly unlikely that you were able to consume enough calories to gain that much weight in so little time. It's fluid. If I were you, I would definitely go to the doctor.
  • seachelle76
    seachelle76 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In April, I gained 14lbs in 17 days. Lost most of it in a week. It will disappear for sure. Don't worry.

Not good advice. Just because you lost most of it in a week does not hold true for everyone. Your weight gain was also not normal.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs overnight....right before my period hit! You could have shoved me over!!