I'm apparently obese? 5'6" 176lbs 26%

Options

Replies

• rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    runlong16 wrote: »
    If your trainer told you that his chart says your obese, quite frankly he's an idiot and uneducated for not knowing he gave you bad information. Or he's trying to get more sessions out of you. You are 28.4 bmi which is overweight but not obese. 25% body fat (1/4 of your weight) sounds like a lot but it really isnt. It's around average for men and definitely in average for women. Remember you have fat distributed everywhere and fat plays a very important biological function. You needn't be as concerned until your body fat gets over 30%. To put things in perspective, many athletes fall within 15-20% and bodybuilders have to go to extreme, often dangerous lengths to get to 4%. Sub 10% is extremely rare other than with endurance athletes.

I'm sorry but this paragraph just isn't correct. Men and women have different standards for body composition and health. And just because it is an 'average' value doesn't mean it is best for health. Also consider that BMI does not take into account body composition. Male athletes are certainly lower than 15-20%, and males can safely go as low as 4% body fat with no adverse effects since their hormones and reproductive systems are not dependent on body fat. As a personal trainer and exercise science graduate I can tell you less than 10% body fat for men is not dangerous, and your personal trainer is probably trying to help you. With that being said, if your trainer used skin calipers or bioelectrical impedance there is a really high chance the value was wrong.
    I clearly acknoedged that men and women have different averages which in itself is obvious. He was asking if he was obese and I told him he is well within normal and 25% is within a normal and safe range. Many athletes fall within the 10-20 range. Going that low to 4% can indeed cause problems. Body fat has nothing to do with hormones? Really?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A quick Google search and I doubt your 26%. Probably about 20%. My guess is your personal trainer mislead you or made an error. I had a personal trainer tell me I was 32% at 115 pounds, possible? but not likely. I suspected it was his was of drumming up business.

Sure other fellas will chime in. Don't sweat the numbers anyhow.

20% is underestimating drastically. I would say 25% plus. Just eat in a deficit and lose weight till you are happy with how you look in the mirror.
  • danibabii11
    danibabii11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Never go by charts, they lie! I'm 21 and am 5'4 and my smallest weight (155 lbs) I looked like skin and bones and was not healthy. It needs to be based on the amount of muscle youbhave. My personal trainer has a little hand held machine I can use to measure Mt fat and muscle mass and that will tell you if you are "obese" or not. Charts are dumb and are based on a certain population. Not everyone. My trainer er looked me straight in the face and said I really couldn't weight less then 160 without looking sick.
  • sallynewberry
    sallynewberry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the BMI chart is old fashion & needs to be updated. If you were the weight it says you should be for your height you'd look like a twig and personally I think that looks unattractive & unhealthy. Don't pay attention to that. Get to the weight that makes you happy when you look in the mirror and just make sure you're healthy.
  • js8181
    js8181 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Weight hasn't changed. But I feel like I have more definition. Is it possible to lose fat and get more muscle?

n86zc5lu2bha.jpeg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Whatever gyms use to calculate body fat % is usually inaccurate so I'm guessing your trainer is just giving you bad info. I stopped having my BF measured at the gym for the same reason.

So don't worry about it and keep going.
  • js8181
    Options
    New pic same weight as before. xmak0cd4b7ek.jpeg
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    You look great! Awesome progress, you must feel good!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The thing is..BMI doesn't really take BF% into consideration. At the height of my fitness at age 26, I was 5'7", 173lbs. BMI, obese, BF% 14%.

You have to take BMI with a grain of salt. BF% is all I pay attention to now.
  • js8181
    Options
    OMG r those the slight beginnings of abs??? :)wbf4dxw0q3gm.jpeg
  • js8181
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Virtually same weight, but clothes fit better. I haven't counted calories, but instead focused on eating more protein and vegetables and fruit. Cut out beer! If I have a drink I have some gin and lime, or white wine.

Now
    -Image Removed By Moderator-

May 2016
    -Image Removed By Moderator-
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    js8181 wrote: »
    I had my second session with a personal trainer today. I was more flexible and stronger than I was the last time (a month ago) but my body fat was the exact same. Not only that, it put me in the 'obese' range. Now, I'm not dumb, I know I could lose a few pounds. Maybe even 20! But I really don't think I'm obese. Am I looking at the chart wrong, and is 26% not really obese? Or could there have been something wrong with the calculator? Here's my photo.

gawjotx2jn5k.jpg

You do not look obese to me. You look like a hottie.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    OP: FWIW, to me, you look 25-30% BF in the before pic and 20-25% BF in the after. Get a DEXA scan or a hydrostatic weighing to find out where you are for sure.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OP: FWIW, to me, you look 25-30% BF in the before pic and 20-25% BF in the after. Get a DEXA scan or a hydrostatic weighing to find out where you are for sure.

I would tend to agree. Really no hint of muscle definition in the first picture. Making progress in the last one.
  • js8181
    Options
    I feel like my arms are getting good and defined, and my legs, too, but the belly stil looks like mush!

a8hbowre00l1.jpg
    knnaaypo543z.jpg
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    js8181 wrote: »
    I feel like my arms are getting good and defined, and my legs, too, but the belly stil looks like mush!

a8hbowre00l1.jpg
    knnaaypo543z.jpg

Belly looks like it's supposed to at 20% bf. It looks fine, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Google body fat photos to see visual comparisons. At some point you will have to figure where you are personally happiest.
    :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If that's your definition of mush... I'll gladly take it! You can definitely see the progression in the pictures. :+1: