I'm apparently obese? 5'6" 176lbs 26%

Options
js8181
js8181 Posts: 178 Member
I had my second session with a personal trainer today. I was more flexible and stronger than I was the last time (a month ago) but my body fat was the exact same. Not only that, it put me in the 'obese' range. Now, I'm not dumb, I know I could lose a few pounds. Maybe even 20! But I really don't think I'm obese. Am I looking at the chart wrong, and is 26% not really obese? Or could there have been something wrong with the calculator? Here's my photo.

gawjotx2jn5k.jpg

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't know what calculations your trainer is using, but by using MFP's calculator for BMI, it says you're around middle-high of the overweight section, not obese.

editted to add: the calculator also states the highest normal weight for your height is around 155 lbs.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I learned today, body fat doesn't have an overweight category. You're either normal or obese so don't be alarmed.

BMI is not the same as body fat.

oh i see thank @VintageFeline :)
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    BMI isn't a percentage! BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )

It isn't a percentage of anything, it is just a number. So don't look at the BMI chart for BF%.
  • violetpurdy
    violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat the numbers. I know it's easy to get fixated on them, but it's more important to judge your healthiness on what you see and how you feel. You're in no way obese based on your picture!
    Just to put things into perspective, my father is a runner and he's also very, very muscular. He's a short guy who weighs about 160lbs, so BMI calculators always have him in the overweight category. My dad is an athlete who's all muscle, though, and could run laps around most people. He's always encouraged me to strive for feeling healthy before letting a number worry me too much.
    Good luck with everything. :)
  • js8181
    Options
    No, I realize that. I have 26% body fat according to the test this morning, and according to this, I am in the 'obese' category for men. http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/112/what-are-the-guidelines-for-percentage-of-body-fat
    BMI isn't a percentage! BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )

It isn't a percentage of anything, it is just a number. So don't look at the BMI chart for BF%.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You appear to be carrying some extra fat in your upper body, so you could have a higher number without the more obvious appearance of a large belly. Hard to say more w/out knowing test methodology and conditions. The table you reference has nothing between "average" and "obese", so it's a lowish threshold. Based on the pic only, I would put you more in the 22-23% range, but there's not a big difference between that and 26%.

Also, depending on the methodology, 1 month might not be long enough for you to have changed enough to move outside the standard of error for the test. In other words, your fat may have decreased 1-2%, but the test is not sensitive enough to pick that up.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If your trainer told you that his chart says your obese, quite frankly he's an idiot and uneducated for not knowing he gave you bad information. Or he's trying to get more sessions out of you. You are 28.4 bmi which is overweight but not obese. 25% body fat (1/4 of your weight) sounds like a lot but it really isnt. It's around average for men and definitely in average for women. Remember you have fat distributed everywhere and fat plays a very important biological function. You needn't be as concerned until your body fat gets over 30%. To put things in perspective, many athletes fall within 15-20% and bodybuilders have to go to extreme, often dangerous lengths to get to 4%. Sub 10% is extremely rare other than with endurance athletes.
  • js8181
    Options
    Ok thank you. But my question remains: am I obese? Or could my BF reading have been wrong?
    runlong16 wrote: »
    As someone with an exercise science degree I can tell you 26% body fat for men is obese. More than 33% for women is obese. In our society we just aren't used to the standards. That isn't to say I think you look bad though!
    As someone with an exercise science degree I can tell you 26% body fat for men is obese. More than 33% for women is obese. In our society we just aren't used to the standards. That isn't to say I think you look bad though!

• js8181
    Options
    The methodology was a machine where I stand on a sensor platform while also holding onto these handles. So all electronic.
  • js8181
    Options
    Well To be brutally honest: the answer is I have issues with my body and so a chart saying that I am obese gives me anxiety. :-/
    js8181 wrote: »
    Ok thank you. But my question remains: am I obese? Or could my BF reading have been wrong?

Why does it matter. According to your BMI you're not obese. According to the body fat charts you are, because they have nothing in between normal and obese. You have some excess body fat, why does it matter what an arbitrary chart categorises it as if you are either happy or working to further reduce it?

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You are not obese by any standard I am familiar with.
  • runlong16
    runlong16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    js8181 wrote: »

Plus even if you are technically "obese" that isn't the same as what we coloquially know or call obese. If you start strength training it will shift your reading since it is a ratio. But you don't appear to be obese. If that makes any sense.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The BMI Index is a bunch of malarkey, at 5'5" and 188lbs I'm well passed obese 4 months out of 12 even though I have quite a bit of muscle, the BMI Index does not take this into account.