New today but dubious

Options
Hi everyone. Joined mfp today I really need to sort out my weight and health. Need to lose 5st at least, but I need honest opinions folks
I turned 61 a couple of days ago and I'm frightened that I have left it too late. Is there anyone else on here of a similar age group that is losing weight?

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank you, bebbingtoncatherine!
    By the way, I love the food diary here -- the best I've ever seen, and it is so "personalizeable'!
    (Does anyone know how to make the photos smaller????
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    bebbingtoncatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear snickers Charlie thanks for the encouragement and well done, that's a brilliant result. :)
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice, it really is appreciated, you'll probably never know how much. I have taken every thing on board and will certainly follow your suggestions. So far so good today logged everything that has passed my lips.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'll be 60 in August. I didn't have a lot to loose, just 25 lbs., but I also was so out of shape. Started walking. Walked on breaks at work, on lunch and after work. Sometimes not all that far, but have just kept pushing a little bit farther, a little bit harder. YouTube has some great "free" fitness videos. I like the walking ones, just do what you can and walk in place when it's to much. Some light weights and good old fashioned calisthenics. You know, push ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks. I still can only do a couple of pushups, but planks work to.

I read most of the blogs on the feed about food, nutrition and exercise. And I log my food. No one has to see it but you. Be honest, you might want to log everything for a week or so, just to see where you're going wrong. Cutting calories wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Once I started eating healthier, I don't crave the sweet as much.

Planning is a huge key for me. Thinking ahead, planning some meals and shopping for healthy snacks. Taking my lunch and snacks to work. And allow for some of what you love, like chocolate.

Be leery of the weight loss plans. I've tried the Atkins and Nutrisystems. Didn't find them sustainable.

Good luck! It's a journey and can be life changing.
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    Hi, yes , I'm going to get used to logging my food and drink on here and then going to start with walking. To be honest I'm so unfit will probably be just a very short walk at first because my hip causes me some pain, probably weigh related, doesn't help the arthritis does it? Oh if anyone is starting a 60's group let me know and definitely count me in. Must say though I would be delighted to get to know all age groups and help and encourage where I can. :)
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Catherine and good luck on your journey! I'm early fifties and recently lost 12 pounds in a couple of months so you can do this. I would really recommend buying a Fitbit if your finances can run to one. I recently bought the Fitbit Charge HR and it's fantastic. It syncs with MFP and monitors your calories burned and your steps so you can really get a good idea of calories in and calories out, which is what it comes down to and your activity levels. It's not 100% accurate but I find it close enough. Best advice, weigh everything on digital food scales and don't estimate, that way you know what's going in.

You will be giving your health and wellness such an incredible boost by losing your 5 stone, it's going to be so worth it!
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    Thanks fabianmommy I will definitely look into it, I get paid next week so will have a look around
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 60 as well. I started here at the end of March and have lost 28 lbs so far. Currently my only exercise is walking, my treat for losing 50 lbs will be a gym membership! My piece of advice to you is to be honest in your logging...sometimes it is a bit of a shock but it helps keep you on track. Also, don't complex cut anything out of what you eat...if you view this as a lifetime, lifestyle change it will just become second nature (still working on that myself!). Good luck!
  • bebbingtoncatherine
    Options
    Thanks mikiloub, well done on your weight loss your doing exceptionally well. Yes every single ounce I lose is gone for good, this is for the rest of my life, which I'm more than happy with. Good luck on the rest of your journey. Hope to speak to you again :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi, yes , I'm going to get used to logging my food and drink on here and then going to start with walking. To be honest I'm so unfit will probably be just a very short walk at first because my hip causes me some pain, probably weigh related, doesn't help the arthritis does it?

I could barely walk around the couch when I started. ;)

I was having issues with my knees and my hip. Happy to tell you that - arthritis issues aside - dropping the weight has been amazing as to the reduction in my level of pain. Which was, of course, part of what put me on the couch in the first place. :(

I second getting a fitbit. I just have the cheapie model - the Zip - but it does exactly what I need it to do. It logs my steps taken in a day and then automatically synchs up with MFP to add extra calories to my food page here that I can eat for my effort.

If you have access to a swimming pool, I highly recommend looking in water jogging. All of the benefits of jogging, without any of the stress on our dodgy old joints. :)